LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

My own key issue - have a master key but can't open......

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-08, 02:27 PM
drewkaree
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My own key issue - have a master key but can't open......

I recently bought a '96 LS400. It only came with 2 valet keys (all the dealer had for me). I accidentally pressed the button that locks out the trunk. I was planning to order a master key from Sewell already, but this just accelerated the process.

NONE of the keys I had would unlock the lockout button, nor would they lock the glove box. The key I got from Sewell looks identical in EVERY way (including the cut pattern), except this "master" key is able to unlock the lockout button AND lock and unlock the glove box.

My problem is this: I cannot unlock the trunk from the outside using this master key.

Has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone have an idea as to why this master key (cut to my VIN, according to Sewell, as a master key) will not unlock my trunk from the OUTSIDE?

I'm afraid that while this is not an issue since I can work the trunk button from inside the car, it will most naturally become an issue when it is the most bothersome to me, i.e. it's pouring down rain, I have a flat tire, and the trunk latch button isn't working.
Old 03-08-08, 02:49 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

u mean the BUTTON on the key to open the trunk wont work or physically inserting the key into the trunk results in nothing?
Old 03-08-08, 07:56 PM
drewkaree
Rookie

My keys are the type that has no remote capabilities whatsoever. Not even the typical center button to unlock. Evidently 1996 was a year where Lexus decided to go with a keyfob remote.

Physically inserting the key into the trunk lock does nothing whatsoever.
Old 03-08-08, 08:10 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

then something else is wrong, i had a 95 and the KEY itself had nothing in it, there was a separate remote to be had.

does the key unlock the drivers door?
Old 03-08-08, 08:44 PM
drewkaree
Rookie

Yes, the key itself unlocks the driver's door, the glove box, and locks/unlocks the lockout button for the trunk release on the lower dash panel to the left of the steering wheel (that was the button I was referring to earlier, but couldn't think of a better description, hopefully that helps, or I'll take a pic of the button I'm talking about, if necessary).

Sounds like your 95 key/remote setup is the exact same as what my '96 is supposed to be set up like.

I had figured getting the master key would unlock the trunk, but no dice.
Old 03-08-08, 11:33 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

its possible that ur trunk lock mech. is jammed (everybody uses the button!!) so id try some graphite powder lube first to see if it frees it up.

otherwise look on the trunk for the VIN panel to see if it hasnt been replaced...
Old 03-09-08, 07:51 AM
drewkaree
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
its possible that ur trunk lock mech. is jammed (everybody uses the button!!) so id try some graphite powder lube first to see if it frees it up.
I'll pick some up today and give it a shot to see if that works.

otherwise look on the trunk for the VIN panel to see if it hasnt been replaced...
I've never heard of such a thing. What is that, and where would it be located? Also, does that panel also have my VIN number on it, or what/how would I know it has been replaced?

According to the title/VIN search I did on the car prior to purchase, it's been a lease company that's owned it for the past 12 years, and it looks like the dealer I bought it from snatched up their entire stock when the lease company went out of business (or whatever happened to them)
Old 03-09-08, 11:44 AM
drewkaree
Rookie

Got some powdered graphite lube and squeezed a fair bit into the lock cylinder in the trunk. It goes in quite a bit easier, but still no dice on opening the trunk via the lock on the trunk lid.

Attached is a pic of the lockout button I was referring to earlier. I'm able to unlock that and lock/unlock the glove box, which I couldn't do with either of my other keys, so I'm very confident that this can be narrowed down to something wrong with the lock/key, or a replacement like you were referring to. I'm headed to the hardware store again in a bit (kitchen remodel - MANY trips ), so I might have 'em run the key through the wire brush on their key cutter. I'm wondering if there's a burr somewhere on the key that's not allowing the key to work properly.
Attached Thumbnails My own key issue - have a master key but can't open......-dscf1558.jpg  
Old 03-09-08, 01:07 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by drewkaree
Got some powdered graphite lube and squeezed a fair bit into the lock cylinder in the trunk. It goes in quite a bit easier, but still no dice on opening the trunk via the lock on the trunk lid.

Attached is a pic of the lockout button I was referring to earlier. I'm able to unlock that and lock/unlock the glove box, which I couldn't do with either of my other keys, so I'm very confident that this can be narrowed down to something wrong with the lock/key, or a replacement like you were referring to. I'm headed to the hardware store again in a bit (kitchen remodel - MANY trips ), so I might have 'em run the key through the wire brush on their key cutter. I'm wondering if there's a burr somewhere on the key that's not allowing the key to work properly.
only the master key can open the trunk lockout button, glovebox lock, and trunk lock. it is possible that the car was in a minor collision and the company just replaced the trunk (and the shop didnt switch the locks over).

or the lock cylinder mech. could be dead/jammed. since u can open the trunk from inside id do that and make sure theres nothing interfering with the mechanism.
Old 03-09-08, 01:58 PM
1995LS400
Lead Lap

Is this key that you are referring to the valet key? Because if it is there is no way you are getting into the trunk with that key. It was cut in a fashion so that the person you lend that key to only has access to being able to start the car, not able to get into your dope hiding places.
Old 03-09-08, 07:13 PM
drewkaree
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1995LS400
Is this key that you are referring to the valet key? Because if it is there is no way you are getting into the trunk with that key. It was cut in a fashion so that the person you lend that key to only has access to being able to start the car, not able to get into your dope hiding places.
No. When I bought the car, the keys I was given WERE valet keys, which is how I found out the difference. I accidentally pushed the lockout button, and couldn't get into my trunk.

I purchased a master key cut to my VIN from Sewell Lexus. This key worked every lock on my car EXCEPT the trunk lock cylinder.

I'm happy to report that today, my wife got the key to work quite by accident (she didn't know it didn't work for me properly) by giving it a few wiggles and getting the trunk open. When I ran to the hardware store after she had gotten into the trunk, I asked them to run the key through their wire brush a few times and it now works flawlessly. Apparently the fresh-cut key needed a few of the sharp edges softened just a touch. I'm a bit surprised the trunk lock is so touchy, but thankfully, it's all working again.

Thanks for the suggestions Pure!
Old 03-09-08, 07:39 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

no problem, glad to see it worked out
Old 07-22-08, 11:58 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

u mean the BUTTON on the key to open the trunk wont work or physically inserting the key into the trunk results in nothing?

On my car, I have 2 sets of OEM keys and remote. The remotes work to unlock/lock doors no problem. They also work on the button under the steering wheel which locks out the trunk.

However, holding the button on either remote for trunk, does not open the trunk. The trunk can be inside using latch from inside, or with either key in the key hole

Mike (lexkost) called me now and said there is some button inside the glove compartment that might have "disabled" my remote. WIll go check out glove compartment at lunch.
Old 08-08-08, 03:03 AM
forsash
Driver School Candidate

On my ls400 '94 the trunk isn't opening from button near steering wheel. Earlier,when dad rides car - everythig was ok. Now I have 2 master keys. It unlocks all: doors, trunk, glove box (strange, but only one of keys) but not trunk key lock. I cant check if it blocked or isn't working at all.. Does anyone know what to do?
Old 08-09-08, 04:02 AM
UCF11
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just reading this on the Aussie Site Soarercentral.com

"
If you have lost your Soarer master key, (or it was perhaps sold to you without one), and you accidentally knock the valet boot lock in, you will not be able to open your boot.

BUT!!

If you remove the interior trim surrounding the ignition key, you will be able to get to the back of the valet lock. On the rear of the barrel is a little c-clip - move this aside, and use a screwdriver to push down on the little **** thing it covers - this will push the valet lock back out /unlock it again :-)"

Its not the best explaintion but it proves you can get the button back out.

But if i was you I would just take either the glove box / boot lock / or fuel boot release vallet lock to your local lock smith (a good one) and ask him to cut you a key to suit it. Would be the easyest solution. Btw, you can get the Master Key number from on the side of the barrel on the drivers door lock.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by UCF11; 08-09-08 at 04:10 AM.

Quick Reply: My own key issue - have a master key but can't open......