LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Need your help with your Tint jobs -- (Pics for front strip angle).

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-08, 07:46 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Need your help with your Tint jobs -- (Pics for front strip angle).

Hey guys, I decided this needed its own topic because the topic it was in had shifted about three times and I really need some ideas or pictures to show the tint guy asap.

Basically since the window on the 94 LS 400 curves up in a U shape, the strip across the front doesn't flow with the car lines/window. It is , instead, fat on the ends, and appears to actually (the strip) curve down in an 'upside down ' U. (Look at the pictures and you can see what I'm describing).

I'm after something that looks right,.. a more even look.. where the line is pretty much even thickness from point to point. But I don't want to tell him to cut this or that and it turn out *not* the way I am envisioning.

So I think the easiest thing would be to bring him a picture of one of your front strips and he can easily modify my front strip by using the picture as a guide.

First two shots are side and front. The third is with a quick yellow line on each side showing about where I'm talking about cutting.

Maybe you can tell me the technical term for what I'm looking for, or a way to phrase this to the tint guy to get the look I'm after. (Or a picture)

General side view of tint,.. see how front bar doesn't flow?

Just the front strip -- notice how it appears to bow down on edges.. (thicker) just doesn't look right.

Snip here, snip there -- Is this what I'm looking for to get the lines correct?

Thanks
Old 03-05-08, 09:07 AM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this should give you a fairly good idea...

this is a 1993 btw

IMO yours needs to be cut straight and have more of a gradient to it to match oem tint.
Old 03-05-08, 09:35 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Excellent. Thanks for the picture.

The way the car is done it is 35% all the way around, and the front strip is 20%.

I just shot the owner/tint guy at sundown tint an email, and asked him if he could shape it up a touch when he was touching up the car Friday, and if a new visor strip needed to be done entirely I would pay for it in full. (Would be like 25$ or so).

He just wrote back and said he is glad to hear I am happy with the tint otherwise, and will put a new visor strip on at no charge when I bring it back.

That is good service imo. So looks like he is just gonna pull the old off and put a new one on,.. so I get a few options here.

Another thing that *might* be bothering me with this front strip (not that you can really tell in those pictures) -- But the front strip is darker than the rest of the windows. 20% front vs 35% surrounds. --

If he is going to do a new strip anyway, you think it would be more asthetically pleasing to just tell him to run 35% on the visor strip as well?

I'm in the tint for 80% looks, 20% privacy/heat. So the way it looks trumps the 'protection'/'glare reduction' from 35% to 20%.

The tint guy seems to be more concerned with heat reduction, glare reduction and so forth and no so much the looks. Obviously not that he doesn't do a great job, but he's been at this for 15+ years now, and he really knows his 'plastics' so to speak. So what he would do isn't what I would do and vice versa regarding the level of tint on the front.

Again, that picture is great -- I will bring that. Does anyone else have any other pictures on the LS 400 model (visor) ?

That is exactly the look I'm going for,.. as I've been looking at other vehicles I've noticed many are simply straight across at the top.. I think this straight vs curve makes the visor strip behave differently. Although in looking at the picture you attached that top panel almost looks straight compared to mine. (I suppose an optical illusion based on the way the strip was cut)

Anyhow,.. so just to be straight here.. (no pun intended ) -- The edges of the visor actually need to curve slightly upwards to give the proper appearance. (I'm sure that picture will work, just to get it straight in my head).

Thanks,
Old 03-05-08, 10:17 AM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Yes that is excellent service, youve found yourself a good tint guy

I agree with you when it comes to that front strip, it should be the same % if not a little lighter. When its darker than the surrounding windows it looks out of place.

I could be wrong but I believe that the front strip on the window is about the same percent as the oem sunroof tint. So if your going for an oem look I would use that to compare it too.

Ill snap some more pics of my windshield tonight. your car looks exactly like mine did 2 years ago! oh man im getting nostalgic
Old 03-05-08, 10:29 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Neofate,

The 20% tint strip I have on my 00 LS windshield is positioned and looks exactly like yours. I also have 35% tint on my side and back windows.

To look straight, the bottom of the windshield tint strip would have to be rounded when it is cut. I suspect it would look fairly straight if a sheet of tint cut for the back window were used to create a tint strip for the top of the front window. I tried to talk the tint shop into doing exactly that but they convinced me that I would like the sides of the front window tint rounding downward. When I asked for 35% tint for the windshield tint strip, the tint shop person recommended 20% and said that was what most people preferred.

I have come to appreciate their guidance and really like the way the front tint strip looks with the ends rounding downward. It seems to provide a little more protection from glare and perhaps a bit more privacy. I'll likely replace my worn windshield this summer. When I do, I'll get another front tint strip like you and I have now.

Last edited by Kansas; 03-05-08 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-05-08, 10:33 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Yessir.

Glad you agree,.. good to have confirmation. -- I was looking at the sunroof and I believe you are right,..

I would appreciate more pictures, I sent the tint guy the one you linked

Yup,.. we have very similar vehicles/color etc -- You've tuned the heck out of yours.. I am in the process. I like everything you've done, except I've never been a fan of lowering 'sedans'. I have only lowered sports cars I've owned and it is a completely different look/purpose. I would , however, like some larger rims (different pattern) and so on. Just so expensive, and other things take precedence. But that is the joy in the car, so many things to do it is an ongoing project.

Most people would leave it alone stock, but I like to 'gently' modify to not make it look unlike a 'lexus' but just continue where lexus left off. hehe..
Old 03-05-08, 10:40 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kansas
Neofate,

The 20% tint strip I have on my 00 LS windshield is positioned and looks exactly like yours. I also have 35% tint on my side and back windows.

To look straight, the bottom of the windshield tint strip would have to be rounded when it is cut. I suspect it would look fairly straight if a sheet of tint cut for the back window were used to create a tint strip for the top of the front window. I tried to talk the tint shop into doing exactly that but they convinced me that I would like the sides of the front window tint rounding downward. When I asked for 35% tint for the windshield tint strip, the tint shop person recommended 20% and said that was what most people preferred.

I have come to appreciate their guidance and really like the way the front tint strip looks with the ends rounding downward. It seems to provide a little more protection from glare and perhaps a bit more privacy. I'll likely replace my worn windshield this summer. When I do, I'll get another front tint strip like you and I have now.
I see -- He actually recommended to go 5 % or so on the front... but it wasn't for a 'looks' purpose. I never mentioned what I have isn't pleasing to the majority , I just might be in the minority here with wanting a straighter, oem shaped strip. Everytime I look at it it bugs me, it just doesn't flow with the vehicle. I have also had a curved strip on a 91 300ZX of mine, it looked great with that car and body lines, but with this vehicle it just doesn't match my personality/taste.

Again, you are right it seems most people prefer a darker strip and the shape I have is more common. Though I don't think I'm alone in what I am changing it to.

To each his own. -- And on that note it isn't hideous or anything. If I just 'left' it as is.. no one would think twice about (man that tint looks odd.. )

The guy wanted me back Friday for a quick touch up anyhow, so might as well get this little 'minor' change done for free while I'm at it.

The front visor is a really easy piece to change out, I would argue the easiest to do on most vehicles. He did mine in a matter of minutes, where he spent 45minutes on the rear window. The rear window with the defrost lines are the main reason he wanted me back to get that perfect because of the Lexus 'thick' lines that create bubbles/peanuts. Most if not all would eventually dry out over the summer, but he can get the few bubbles by those lines taken out quickly Friday after it has had time to cure. It is outside as we speak in the direct sun.. no clouds. (Paint curing, and tint doing its thing hehe) -- Both the body shop guy (paint) and the tint guy said whether it is freezing or warm the UV rays from the sun will do the most good on 'curing' these two items.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-05-08, 11:12 AM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Neofate

Yup,.. we have very similar vehicles/color etc -- You've tuned the heck out of yours.. I am in the process. I like everything you've done, except I've never been a fan of lowering 'sedans'. I have only lowered sports cars I've owned and it is a completely different look/purpose. I would , however, like some larger rims (different pattern) and so on. Just so expensive, and other things take precedence. But that is the joy in the car, so many things to do it is an ongoing project.

Most people would leave it alone stock, but I like to 'gently' modify to not make it look unlike a 'lexus' but just continue where lexus left off. hehe..
thank you neo, to each his own I would daresay I enjoyed the car when it was stock as much as I do now! Theres definitely trades and drawbacks to modifying such a lovely car. I agree lowering in my case is more for looks than anything else really. I look forward to seeing your car after its 'facelift'.

for the heck of it heres my car when she was still mostly stock (if you count tint or not)

just so im not completely off topic here I also found a couple more pics of the front end, yes I love experimenting with after market grills haha. Ill get the close ups to you in the next couple days.

edit: If I could get your email I can just directly send you the high res pics.

Last edited by Brandicus; 03-05-08 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-05-08, 12:08 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Very nice -- Thanks.

Your car is almost exactly like mine stock. Minus the chrome on the rims.

I like those 5 stars you had on there.. that is something similar I would go for with aftermarket rims,.. Something that isn't lowered, a bit larger and the 5 star sport look. For some reason it looks good on the LS sedan.. You wouldn't think so, but it flow well with the LS 400. Rims/Tires are just a really expensive upgrade

I'll PM you the email addy..