LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Top Gear: 1990 LS 400 vs. 735i vs. 420 SE vs. 4.0 Sov.

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-08, 12:14 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool Top Gear: 1990 LS 400 vs. 735i vs. 420 SE vs. 4.0 Sov.

Interesting comparo, and shows the character of the car(s) that translates to today!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=r-B2SJzUTLk
Attached Thumbnails Top Gear: 1990 LS 400 vs. 735i vs. 420 SE vs. 4.0 Sov.-top-gear-1990.jpg  
Old 02-29-08, 12:20 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

wooot...thanks encore!
Old 02-29-08, 12:55 PM
LRP_LS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was a real eye opener. Compared with other cars in the same class at that time Lexus was definitely ahead of the game. Cheers Lexus.
Old 02-29-08, 01:31 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

very good video, finally one i havent seen

i have the first video he refers to of the car being initially tested in the US but its REALLY big and i havent gotten around to editing it short enough to post up on youtube.
Old 02-29-08, 02:12 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
very good video, finally one i havent seen

i have the first video he refers to of the car being initially tested in the US but its REALLY big and i havent gotten around to editing it short enough to post up on youtube.
Don't edit it. Post it on rapidshare or something.
Old 02-29-08, 02:15 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Great video link. -- As another mentioned, if you take his commentary based on when this video was done, he really was 'spot on'

I am not surprised today by what was said, but when it was 1-2yrs old,.. That would have been quite a gamble and shocker to see a Toyota that was beating out Jaguar/Mercedes/ and BMW's similar class cars.

Oh, and for less money.
Old 02-29-08, 02:15 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sonyman
Don't edit it. Post it on rapidshare or something.
Or you can send it to me and I'll host it myself if you wish..
Old 02-29-08, 03:10 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've been looking for that video FOREVER. Make sure to save it because alot of times stuff gets deleted.

just goes to further prove that the ls400 is the best mass built car in the world. the cup test on the engine is amazing! I wish i had a perfect ls400.

THEY MADE BMW 7 and Mb S-class without ac?? without power seats? without a radio???? OMG!!! What a rip! who in their right mind would by those?
Old 02-29-08, 05:17 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by omarg
I've been looking for that video FOREVER. Make sure to save it because alot of times stuff gets deleted.

just goes to further prove that the ls400 is the best mass built car in the world. the cup test on the engine is amazing! I wish i had a perfect ls400.

THEY MADE BMW 7 and Mb S-class without ac?? without power seats? without a radio???? OMG!!! What a rip! who in their right mind would by those?
Don't forget, this was a Top Gear review, which is in Europe. I don't know about now, but back in the 90ies even the S class mercedes came in short wheel base, cloth seats with no headrests, manual seats, manual windows, no AC, and on top of it most of them were stinky diesels. But then compared to the rest of European cars, which were basically crapbuckets with tires, it was really good.
Old 02-29-08, 06:16 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Dude, you would be suprised at who buys cars like that...Some older people dont even like the radio in the car.

The Ferrari F-50 never had an optional radio either...of course the Nice sound of an Italian supercar engine was already enough lol
Old 02-29-08, 06:19 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Wink

You guys are really biased towards Lexus. Which doenst speak much about your open mind.
Anyone who ever driven the MB or BMW for that matter, knows that those cars are a lot more interesting to be in and to drive, if you have a pulse and a heart.

The only thing Lexus is good at is not breaking down, THATS IT.

Stop clowning around and sucking on Lexus tit.
This is similar to defending your fat wife, saying she is a great cook.
Old 02-29-08, 06:25 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Different markets, different expectations. It is not a rip off at all. Europeans have long preferred to be able to select the options they want in their cars. Back in the 1970s and 1980s things like air-conditioning and automatic transmissions were considered "not needed". A radio was always standard in the 7 series and S class, always. Power seats? Are you that lazy?

On a side note, Lexus is not doing themselves any favors in Europe with their current strategy. Most Europeans feel that they don't need some of the things Lexus includes in their cars as standard. With the European brands you get to actually select what you want in the car and what not. There's a big appeal in that here. Furthermore Lexus prices in Europe have gotten so expensive that buyers by default go for the brands with a name.

The W126 Mercedes S class in the test was brought to the market in 1979, so of course the LS400 would outclass it since it didn't get any major modifications even during the facelift. These were the days when a facelift was a facelift, not an overhaul. Sure, the Lexus looks modern and dynamic but it doesn't look classy like its European competitors. Nevertheless the LS400 is my favorite LS ever.
Old 02-29-08, 06:32 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Well said Dustin.

I have owned a W140 S500 MB, 1995 model. And I still iss that car to this day. It was a car Lexus cold only dream of building.
Bottom line, Lexus will never be a drivers car, or anything else for that matter. Its just a reliable vehicle for those who dont want to waste money on repairs. Why else whould I dirve one?
Old 02-29-08, 06:33 PM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome video!!!! VERY cool!
Old 02-29-08, 06:38 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
Well said Dustin.

I have owned a W140 S500 MB, 1995 model. And I still iss that car to this day. It was a car Lexus cold only dream of building.
Bottom line, Lexus will never be a drivers car, or anything else for that matter. Its just a reliable vehicle for those who dont want to waste money on repairs. Why else whould I dirve one?
Thanks.

I am a firm believer in "fair evaluation" (aka "open minded").

I'm a big Mercedes S class fan, which to me is still the benchmark in this class. I think Lexus knows that the S class has a mass appeal with heritage and history backing it up. So in order to dazzle people, Lexus needs to emphasize the technology in the LS. I think in a few reviews this might give the Lexus an edge with certain reviewers.

At the end of the day all these cars are great, however, so I couldn't really care how Top Gear ranked them.

Quick Reply: Top Gear: 1990 LS 400 vs. 735i vs. 420 SE vs. 4.0 Sov.