LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Guys, is my waterpump leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-08, 02:05 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Guys, is my waterpump leaking?

I was told by a mechanic that my waterpump needs to be changed soon.

Today when i parked my car I heard a hissing sound. I saw some steam coming out of the hood so i popped open the hood.

I saw clear liquid on the serp belt and i heard the hissing sound with vapor escaping from somewhere i cannot see. Its about 6 inches to the right of the power steering hose.

Anyone?
Old 02-28-08, 04:54 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like it. I've never done a waterpump in a Lexus, but have in many other cars. You should be able to stick your hand in the liquid that leaked, and rub your fingers together. It will feel like coolant. Not many other things that will do that aside from a leaking radiatior.

I would verify this with the mechanic and go ahead and do it. The waterpump is no fun, and is something that will leave you on the side of the road if it dies completely.

Plus it isn't a real expensive part,.. If you can do the labor yourself you'll come out ok. I know I've changed four in my lifetime myself, just have to make sure you get the HTemp seal on well. Not sure what the labor hours are for a pump on an LS400 --

In the mean time, keep your eye on that temp gauge constantly.. if it starts rising, turn on your heat and pull over (turn off the engine) with the heat on. I've driven to home to replace the pump myself when it was all but gone with short stints of go, stop,..when it gets past mid way, let it cool down, wait 20mins.. go again. Not fun, but possible.

Which is all the more reason just to not let that hassle happen to you.
Old 02-28-08, 05:04 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

You might want to consider changing your timing belt too depending on how long it has been since it has been changed. The normal timing belt interval change is 90,000 miles or 6 years. If you have over 45,000 miles or 3 years on your current belt, consider changing it.
Old 02-28-08, 09:40 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the info!

my temp gauge went nuts. It rose all the way half an inch past red! If it could go full circle it would have. I freaked. I pulled over let it rest and it just went to full heat within 10 seconds again. I made it home though. Im drivin my gs for now until i get it fixed

Originally Posted by Neofate
Sounds like it. I've never done a waterpump in a Lexus, but have in many other cars. You should be able to stick your hand in the liquid that leaked, and rub your fingers together. It will feel like coolant. Not many other things that will do that aside from a leaking radiatior.

I would verify this with the mechanic and go ahead and do it. The waterpump is no fun, and is something that will leave you on the side of the road if it dies completely.

Plus it isn't a real expensive part,.. If you can do the labor yourself you'll come out ok. I know I've changed four in my lifetime myself, just have to make sure you get the HTemp seal on well. Not sure what the labor hours are for a pump on an LS400 --

In the mean time, keep your eye on that temp gauge constantly.. if it starts rising, turn on your heat and pull over (turn off the engine) with the heat on. I've driven to home to replace the pump myself when it was all but gone with short stints of go, stop,..when it gets past mid way, let it cool down, wait 20mins.. go again. Not fun, but possible.

Which is all the more reason just to not let that hassle happen to you.
Old 02-28-08, 09:48 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you already let it overheat that bad, chances are you have blown your headgasket as well.
Old 02-28-08, 11:30 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
If you already let it overheat that bad, chances are you have blown your headgasket as well.
nahh, if it happened for less than a few minutes the car should be fine, i had a similar thing happen to me in my 95 once when i cracked the lower radiator hose

ive NEVER heard of a 1UZ blowing its headgasket in the LS400 but i dont doubt it would if u drove the car hard while overheating.
Old 02-29-08, 10:30 AM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

nah i drove it a very constant 40mph for less than 10 minutes. I was freaking out. lol

Its at home sitting, will have someone take a look soon
Old 02-29-08, 06:27 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It could possibly be the small coolant hose that runs through the metal tubing from the front of where the spout affixs to the waterpump and then comes out and back into the end of the coolant reservoir tank. That's really close to the water pump and seems kind of flimsy.

Best thing to do is do a pressure check leakdown on the system and it will show you where the leak is.
Old 02-29-08, 10:03 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

You'd be really lucky if it is just a hose. But given that your mechanic has already said your due a waterpump,.. and the heating description you just described. I feel very confident saying it is your waterpump. Don't drive it Just fix it.

You can do a whole heck of alot more damage to it driving it for short intervals with the car at 30-80% higher than normal operating engine temps.

The heater being on with engine off just allows the engine heat to dissipate that much faster. Also these are aluminum,.. I wouldn't bet on the head gasket being blown just yet.. They can take a beating.

Now if you slammed on the gas for 10-20mins at maximum temp you could roast that engine real quickly.
Old 03-01-08, 12:21 AM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

thanks much for the info neofate

I have a mechanic friend coming sunday so ill update as to whats going on
Old 03-01-08, 03:40 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I would change the timing belt as well if its near its mark to get it over with.
Thermostat as well. <- its cheap.
Old 03-01-08, 05:15 AM
heyhowyado
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
You might want to consider changing your timing belt too depending on how long it has been since it has been changed. The normal timing belt interval change is 90,000 miles or 6 years. If you have over 45,000 miles or 3 years on your current belt, consider changing it.
hmmm....my 99 has 65,000......are you saying i should change my timing belt and water pump now because it's over 6 years old?
Old 03-01-08, 05:46 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

most likely it is the water pump if it's never been changed. definitely do the t belt at the same time, as the labor will be the same since the t belt has to come off to do the wp.
Old 03-01-08, 11:26 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by heyhowyado
hmmm....my 99 has 65,000......are you saying i should change my timing belt and water pump now because it's over 6 years old?
That is what the maintenance manuals say for my 90 LS and 00 LS say. Doesn't your maintenance manual say the same thing?
Old 03-01-08, 04:27 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

its 90k mi.

if you have to replace water pump just replace the belt anyways, you have it all open...

Quick Reply: Guys, is my waterpump leaking?