LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400
View Poll Results: How does your brake pedal feel?
Nice and firm.
19.70%
Moderately soft, but still ok.
53.03%
Very soft and it almost goes to the floor.
27.27%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

UCF21: How does your brake pedal feel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-09, 12:38 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a set of fronts as well but i have not done the fronts yet.
I am still R&D ing them for now , will let you know later about them.
BTW there is a huge benifit on an older car to gettign rid of rubber lines. Especially if you go up and down alot on air.

BW PD is TAP still around ,last i saw the site was gone ?
Old 04-29-09, 01:03 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by skperformance
I have a set of fronts as well but i have not done the fronts yet.
I am still R&D ing them for now , will let you know later about them.
BTW there is a huge benifit on an older car to gettign rid of rubber lines. Especially if you go up and down alot on air.

BW PD is TAP still around ,last i saw the site was gone ?
TAP's site redirects, they got bought out but the norcal location is supposedly still good, text me with that you're lookin for and i'll see what i can do for ya.
Old 09-25-16, 06:36 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by skperformance
Well here is an update , i changed the rear caliper dust covers and seals. Now the pedal is stiffer . It is slowly getting better and better as each day goes by which also rules out brake fluid , as well as the rear lines being braided stainless steel which would have also provided instant and linear results.

Why is it slowly getting better ,because the pads are now bedding in the rotors properly from pull pressure being applied to the piston.

So , i bought an set of oem rear caliper rebuild kits. (BTW , i have an extra one for sale to do both rear calipers )
Comes with new dust covers and it snap ring ,an inner piston seal , some pink grease , new slider boot covers , brake line gaskets , bleeder cap,
I replaced the rear lines with stainless steel ones as well as EBC red pads (replaced 2 months ago ,very little change in braking)
My sliders where not in the best shape and one was seized .
Both rear rotors were showing the signs of non linear pressure by having uneven rotor wear.

I am also changing the front ones , but it is one thing at a time to make sure cause and effect.

So if you pedal is not as good as it could be ,change the seals for the pistons starting with the rears as well as possible the slider bolts also.

Best braking upgrade i have done , my car does have 350 000 km so things like this will wear. Most of my dust covers were cracked so it was letting air by pass the seals causing less pressure on the pistons .
On 1999 LS400 brake pedal feel was so so..

I have experienced American vehicles that had slightly worn wheel bearing and, or spindle that caused the brake pedal to feel either too hard or too soff.

In each instance there was no discernible bearing noise, however after replacing the front wheel bearing/races, the feel of brake pedal improved along with braking.

After 150,000 miles it is probably time to change front wheel bearings on an LS400....

The lubricant is tired and the rubber hub seal is probably dried and leaking...which means the roller bearings are slightly worn...(mine displayed signs of rust colored lubricant )

I replaced the driver's side wheel bearing which resulted in improved brake pedal feel.....the caliper does not have to work as hard to clamp the rotor, so braking force is applied to stopping the car and not centering the rotor...

Pressing bearings out and in is NOT a do it yourself proposition, yet removing the hub assembly is relatively easy...provided you follow shop manual instructions.

Be sure to select your machine shop carefully...my shop had a time jigging the press and extraction tools. ..while I assisted.

It required about one and one half hour for cleaning, deburring, jigging, tooling, pressing, torquing, staking etc

If your Toyota/Lexus dealer can demonstrate it possesses all of the Special Service Tools (Read wont be sending out to Willie Wonka machine shop) and will take your extracted hub/spindle assembly and charge you no more than hour labor then this is the way to go...
Old 09-25-16, 07:02 PM
bornking
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I had soft brakes. Replaced rotors (brembo) and pads and now they are perfect