LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1st Gen LS400 Owners - How much did you pay, How many miles, What condition?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-11, 01:08 PM
raychayal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by handoverfi
1992 with 138k miles ...400 bux lol
nice find! condition? haha thats ridiculous
Old 12-18-12, 03:26 AM
smix
Driver School Candidate

I got my fully stock 1991 LS 400 about a year ago finally, been wanting it for a long time and the opportunity popped up. Got it for $1500 with 281k miles everything is pretty good, engine runs like a champ, only thing that was really wrong with it is leather is a bit worn out, climate control LCD is blacked out, radio didnt work but of course it was going to be changed no matter what and the carpet kind of dirty from daily use. The paint is not so great, definitely needs a new paint job, theres a few dings and scratches also one dent on the driver side door which is not that noticeable.
Old 12-18-12, 08:05 AM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked mine up earlier this year for 3300. 93 LS with 110k on the clock. Interior in mint condition, and the engine and tranny were good. Needs cosmetic work though....
Old 12-25-12, 01:03 PM
Bradwillia
Driver

Paid 4500 for a mint condition Black one back in 2004 with 119k on it. Worth every penny. It seems that the relatively low mileage cars (which I consider 150k and lower) that are in excellent condition go for about 4k-5k. You can get some clean higher mileage ones for 3500 too it seems. Anything below that looks pretty risky. I've been without mine since 2009 now and still miss her every day it seems. I ended up getting a phaeton W12 for a lux barge and got a spectra blue GS400 for a daily driver. Was set on getting another first gen LS for the daily driver but I just thought it would have been silly to have two gigantic sedans LOL. But if anything happens to my GS I will be seriously tempted to switch back again
Old 01-04-13, 06:11 PM
Nine4LS4
Driver School Candidate

Last edited by Nine4LS4; 01-07-13 at 03:45 AM.
Old 01-07-13, 12:22 AM
215ls4
Driver School Candidate

Whats upp ppl. I got mine about.a month ago. 1992 ls400. 188k normal leather cracks. Some slight body work needed doesnt take away from the car much. paid 700 cash. Bought it from my cousin; he had it parked a few months

Need slight body work
i think motor and or trans mountsu
ac compressor
a full tune up
track off light
and that pita reverse break light problem

fixed
tune up
that wire in the trunk issue
Old 01-11-13, 12:52 AM
JBls400
Driver School Candidate

Got my 91 LS4 for $650.00, needs hood shocks, work on radio, front grill missing the L, needs power steering hose, runs good after 1 spark plug fouled out and was replaced, don't have much records on previous work. Clean in and out. 250,xxx miles and running strong.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 01-11-13, 09:56 AM
badm
Driver School Candidate

Default First LS

Long time believer and owner of Lexus. Have both their flagship products and quite impressed with quality and longevity. I'm a cruiser head at heart and love to wrench. My LX450 is at 190k. Used and abused. Still runs and drives great. Lots of fun mods and trips.

Got the 91 Ls with 192k last fall from a Lexus mech near Omaha for 1400.. He performed timing belt and w pump. Everything works great. Since I have replaced coolant bottle and fan pulley from scrap for <100. Threw in new plugs while I was in there. Got bored over the holidays and yanked the ecu and cluster. Soldered in a few new caps and relieved a couple pesky issues that popped up when the temps dropped. Cheap and easy.

Checked fuel mileage at last fill. 19.08mpg with cheap gas and a heavy foot. Mostly city. Fuel range est 420 miles. I'm happy.

Except for the seat belts. Those suck. I will deal with that in the spring.

Cheers from the LS noob.
Old 01-20-13, 01:40 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Bought my 1993 model in 2009 for $3600... one owner, grandma, that got too old to drive. Had just over 100k on it... gave it to my dad and it now has 117k on it... but time to get it back so I can use it for a daily driver. Love the ride and feel of that car. Just replaced the leaky ACV on the power steering pump and the engine is clean and free of any oil leaks. Car interior and exterior were about 9.5 out of 10 when I got it and still nice today. Really looking to forward to getting it back. Like the way it rides better than my mom's 95 LS400. Great cars and looking for many more miles.
Old 01-22-13, 12:47 PM
JradCelly
Rookie

I bought my 1991 Celsior from Amazing Auto Imports in Richmond , BC . I think it was just the beginning of june when i purchased it. Amazing condition, 19,000km . Paid 3800 tax in . Nothing had to be done to it at all and i have been happily driving it up until 3 months ago where i lost my license... 11 days from now i get it back so i will be driving it again!

I LOVE MY CELSIOR! shes sitting at 29,000km now just waiting for her second oil change!
Old 02-06-13, 05:19 PM
ttyR2
Driver

1990 LS400, 323k miles, $2300 back in 2007. Just rolled 400k on it.
Old 02-07-13, 10:33 AM
Tomthrow99
Driver School Candidate

I have 2000 LS400 paid $54.000.00 New car I have 190, 000 miles,brakes, timing belt, water pump, tie rod ends ,only thing I have done to this car runs great I change oil every 5, 000 miles that's when it needs quart...I have problem with it now security light won't cut off when u insert key stopping car from starting up...13yrs no problem (great car)
Old 02-07-13, 10:41 AM
ef9racer
Rookie

I have a 90 LS400 that I got in a straight across trade form an 95 Accord.
all it needed to run right was the shift solenoids and a good cleaning.
195,000 miles
8/10 exterior
5/10 interior
Owned it since 2010.
Old 08-29-13, 09:24 PM
Crybicki
Rookie

1993 LS400 for $1900 in September of 2012.
Car was in fair condition when I bought it. Needed a FULL tune up as well as some other somewhat minor things like power steering pump and catalytic converters. But overall the engine and transmission were/are in great condition.

I actually was considering selling my LS400 but then thought better of it. I had began making a price list that included what I paid for everything on it since the day I bought it. Most of the parts are from Discount Auto and Autozone because I wasn't able to afford to do Toyota parts as much as I would have liked to. But overall I have put around $4000 in it and that INCLUDES purchase price. For Sheila to be turning 22 in September this year, that's a damn good deal.

Here is the list I made up.
Take note that MOST of the work I did was PREVENTATIVE as I did not have a detailed idea of how the car was taken care of before I bought it. I did not want to break down because something wasn't replaced routinely so I just did it all.

New Parts:
Thermostat – 17.99
Cooling Fan Switch – 29.99
Starter – 139.00 (Mechanic Labor – 400.00)
Alternator – 163.99
Ignition Coil – 44.99
(2) Distributor Caps – 40.00
(2) Distributor Rotors – 21.00
Gas Cap – 8.99
Radiator Cap – 7.29
Seat Covers – 45.00
Coolant Temperature Switch – 30.00
Coolant Temperature Gauge Sender – 14.99
Rear Rotors- 90.00
Rear Calipers- 100.00
Rear Brake Pads- 45.00
Front Brake Pads – 42.00
Tension-er Pulley – 12.99
Serpentine Belt – 24.99
Alignment – 79.99
New Tires – 323.00
Front Right Tire Rod – 233.00
Lexus Lug Nuts – 70.00
Spark Plugs – 25.00
Spark Plug Wires – 125.00
Complete Coolant System Flush (Replaced w/ Toyota Red) – 60.00
edit:
Power Steering Pump -- 180.00
Catalytic Converters -- 310.00

I bought my car at 187,XXX and its now at 202,XXX.

Last edited by Crybicki; 08-29-13 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-01-13, 01:35 PM
peterls
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

Bought my 1990 ls400 in February, for $2100, from the first owner (or rather- husband of the first owner), with 145k on the clock. The first owner was an old lady who passed away. Clean title, never an accident, all stock, original paint, always garaged. The car looks pretty much pristine. She took it to dealership all the time, but once she passed away, her husband kept the car for sentimental purposes and did not take the best care of it; however, he only made a few thousand miles with it as he had three other cars anyway... It seems that he drove it on some weekends and that was about that - just barely made sure it did not stay around parked for too long, without being driven thats all.

It did have one problem: the A/T solenoid needed to be replaced (it threw a code, so it was an easy diagnostics). It had a whole bunch of other little problems that I have been working on, such as
- cracked taillight (got a used one from e-bay for $35.00)
- burnt out bulbs (a few bucks)
- broken power lock switch on driver's door (got it from e-bay for $30)
- wood trim that came loose on doors (glued it back myself)
- broken antenna (still have to fix that annoying thing, it goes "rrr-rrr-rrrr-rrr" every time I turn off the radio)
- remote key needed new battery (got a new one on amazon for $5.00)
- Hood gas lifters replaced with aftermarket ones - $40 or so. Now my hood stays open
- and stereo tape does not work, but 6 disc changer does work.

Funny enough, I found a brand new ECU and bought it since it was a good deal, thinking that my car would certainly benefit from getting a new one, only to realize that the one that was already in there was also brand new! So now I have two brand new ECUs... tried them both in the car, the car loves them both equally - no difference. No need to replace leaking caps, at least not yet.

Since I replaced the shift solenoid, the car has been running like a dream. I have NEVER driven a car with such a smooth running engine, with so much power, which goes up the steepest hills where most others choke, and with such a smooth shifting AT. Never, ever. I used to love a new Camry, but even that one struggles on some of the steep hills that I have to drive on, and it just does not have that feeling of power that this V8 does. I mean, God forbid if Lexus decided to squeeze a little more power out of this 1UZ-FE, it would eat other cars alive.

But, since the engine and AT seem to be really really good (you should see surprises on highway when I need to pass someone in, say, a BMW, and they are left behind easily), I decided that this one is a keeper, so I am doing a whole bunch of preventative maintenance:

- changed AT fluid and filter when I did the shift solenoid. Used redline AT fluid as I read it performs better than Toyota fluid.
- changed the coolant temperature sensor, with no improvement in anything, but at least now I know it is new
- Changed the coolant thermostat and coolant switch on the bottom of the radiator (thermostat was broken, so old one needed to go).
- Flushed the cooling system with the prestone flush, over a few days, and then changed the coolant to Toyota red at the same time. AT works even better ever since. Probably the most important, most easily overlooked thing one should do when buying a used LS.
- Flushed Power steering, and cleaned the PS solenoid on the rack. That thing was hard to take off, but it was dirty, and the little filter was clogged. The most important preventative power steering maintenance that one can do - if you don't do it, you are risking leaks everywhere.
- Last month my alternator went bad, changed it for a new Denso high Amp one (think it is 150 A), now works great.
- It already had a brand new battery, brand new tires and brand new brakes, so no need to touch those.
- Cleaned EGR filter,
- Changed ICV valve and grommet, best few bucks I ever spent - it does improve idle noticeably.
- Broke vacuum coolant switch that is at the front, near the thermostat... no one ever talks about it, but the place where two vacuum tubes come is so brittle, that it broke just from looking at it... so I had to replace that too.
- Put in the new air filter - used AC Delco, as test results put it square at the top, way above all others.
- Changed oil and filter, used Mobile 1, will change it again soon using OEM stuff.
- Changed wipers, used Bosch (the BEST! don't even think of American made wipers, they all suck)
- Changed the fuel filter, old one was filthy. Put in AC delco. Just wanted to make sure the fuel pump is not overworked.
- Changed all four O2 sensors, replaced originals with Denso which is OEM, (found them with correct plugs and all for a really good price - around $200 for all four). Originals were never replaced, never gave me any trouble, but I wanted to see if it improved my MPG - it didn't. The originals were still good it seems, even after 150k miles.

Total for all of the above - around $1500 in parts and so on (had a friend who is mechanic help me a couple of times so had to give him a few bucks for his time)

TB and water pump was done about 50k ago, but I want to do it again, just to be safe... and will change spark plugs, wires, dizzy cap and rotor, harmonic balancer, and fan bracket - hoping not to spend more than $800 on it all.
Oh, and engine mounts and transmission mounts need to be changed - whenever I happen to be in a really really good mood... that driver's side mount has me worried.

once that's done, the total will be around $4600 for a car that will last a looooooooong time, and that runs like new and that I know inside and out by now.

ps. the most interesting part: seems that the lady who owned it drove it so little and changed oil religously, that now with new oil I can barely see its level on the dipstick - it stays light colored for miles and miles... it takes 2-3k miles for it to start turning a little dark.

Last edited by peterls; 09-02-13 at 10:40 AM.

Quick Reply: 1st Gen LS400 Owners - How much did you pay, How many miles, What condition?