LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

First gen 90-94 Aiming Headlights? help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-08, 08:29 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default First gen 90-94 Aiming Headlights? help.

Hey guys,

The only thing remotely close I have found is a guide by puredrifter which I believe is for the Second gen LS 400's on how to aim headlights. My headlights on my 94 LS 400 don't have the green leveler, etc.. So I don't think it applies.

So does anyone know how to aim the headlights on a 1994 ls 400? I've searched everywhere but get nothing.

No, the owners manual does not give any instructions.

There are two bolts with philips heads I believe one for headlight and one to left or right depending on side of car for the fog light. But turning this does nothing.

Do I have to remove the battery and so on like I did to change out the bulbs? If so, where are the verticle adjustments?

I find it odd there is no information (that I can find) on how to aim headlights for ls 400's 90-94.

I have found quite a few threads where people ask, but there is no answer

Thanks for any info.
Old 02-19-08, 08:44 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

see the hole that is not labeled but u see the screw inside?? thats the headlight adjustment...with ur bare hands u see nothing moving but if u put it near a wall + power drill then u can see it goes up/down...

**i know this is Fog lamp but same goes for reg headlamps**
Old 02-19-08, 09:09 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Ok those are the screws I moved.. (Of course not the fog lamp one.. but the one to the other side of it).

So, power drill because it moves so slowly.. I gotcha.

I'm not 'initially' going to find a wall measure 20-25ft, use chalk mark all this crap, because I just need to move them up a bit.. I think I can get that accomplished simply by using the power drill and 'eyeballing' them.

Thanks -- I guess the screw does work it up and down, I just couldn't notice any movement because I only turned it manually about 15times one way or the other and no change.

I'll give it a try.
Old 02-19-08, 09:11 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i just put mine near my garage door and was like "hmm...looks leveled *close hood*"
Old 02-19-08, 10:42 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Neofate
Ok those are the screws I moved.. (Of course not the fog lamp one.. but the one to the other side of it).

So, power drill because it moves so slowly.. I gotcha.

I'm not 'initially' going to find a wall measure 20-25ft, use chalk mark all this crap, because I just need to move them up a bit.. I think I can get that accomplished simply by using the power drill and 'eyeballing' them.

Thanks -- I guess the screw does work it up and down, I just couldn't notice any movement because I only turned it manually about 15times one way or the other and no change.

I'll give it a try.
be VERY VERY careful with a power drill, id use a power screwdriver since theres less chance of breaking/stripping the very old brittle plastic.
Old 02-20-08, 01:00 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the warning there PK, but I am always very careful with this car. It is variable speed of course, so I watched it.

Also speed is key.. That screw/bolt aims them very slowly.. Power drill is a must for quick adjustments. Manually turning that would not only take alot longer, it would be more difficult to 'eyeball' things, because being able to see the movement in 'realtime' helps. I tried not to go 'too high' as not to bother other vehicles.

I can tell a little left and right horiz. adjustment would be necessary to make things perfect, but they aren't 'off' by any means.

This is one of the easiest adjustments I've done to the car. Didn't have to remove anything =)
Old 02-20-08, 02:24 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Neofate
Thanks for the warning there PK, but I am always very careful with this car. It is variable speed of course, so I watched it.

Also speed is key.. That screw/bolt aims them very slowly.. Power drill is a must for quick adjustments. Manually turning that would not only take alot longer, it would be more difficult to 'eyeball' things, because being able to see the movement in 'realtime' helps. I tried not to go 'too high' as not to bother other vehicles.

I can tell a little left and right horiz. adjustment would be necessary to make things perfect, but they aren't 'off' by any means.

This is one of the easiest adjustments I've done to the car. Didn't have to remove anything =)
PK lol
Old 02-20-08, 03:13 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

You know what I mean -- I meant PD and have never typed 'PD' instead usually Pure, or puredrifter etc.. I do , however type in 'PK' in response to PK Celsior alot ..

Old 01-30-12, 12:45 PM
smix
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a weird aiming problem, my driver side headlight aims really high up and at an angle to the right. Ive tried to adjust it many times but it doesn't work . Does anyone know whats wrong? its really weird i have never had this problem with any car before, im thinking its the actual housing messed up but i need some input incase i am missing something small.

Thanks,
Old 01-30-12, 04:05 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

stripped alignment screw or it took a hit and the bracket's out of wack.
Old 01-30-12, 04:06 PM
smix
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply! so i should just probably get a new one huh?
Old 02-09-12, 08:09 PM
FireEMT978
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by smix
Thanks for the reply! so i should just probably get a new one huh?
I had the same problem. The adjusters are an extremely fine thread, that takes a large # of turns to adjust. I thought mine were broken upon purchase of the car, but upon taking a drill driver with a phillips bit in it in front of my garage door. I found that they do move, and I have gotten them adjusted perfect.

Last edited by FireEMT978; 02-20-12 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-20-12, 12:01 PM
GalanSRQ
Driver School Candidate

Forgive me if I missed it....but which direction do you turn said screw for adjusting upward....clockwise or counterclockwise?
Old 02-20-12, 07:15 PM
FireEMT978
Driver School Candidate

OOOOH. I apologize, but I don't remember. I believe that it was clockwise for up, but if you place it in front of a wall or similar, you will be able see it move in a fairly short time, and figure it out. The 90 year old guy I bought it from, used the front of his garage wall to determine when he was "in". Both lights were SOOOOO out of whack, that I thought they were misinstalled, or broken. Like I said, they are perfect now.

Last edited by FireEMT978; 02-21-12 at 06:31 AM.
Old 02-20-12, 07:57 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

never mind, you got it...

Quick Reply: First gen 90-94 Aiming Headlights? help.