LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Ticking sound from engine is it normal?

Old 02-16-08, 07:18 PM
94LS4LIFE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking sound from engine is it normal?

Hi I am new to these forums.
I have a 1994 LS400 and I have had a ticking noise from the engine as long as I have had the car. Is this common for a Lexus LS400? Or is it something I should be worried about? Nothing is affected by the noise. It has plenty of power. It is smooth. No leaks and it doesn't smoke. The car has 165,000 miles on it and when I asked the previous owner about the ticking they said it has always done that since she bought it.

This ticking starts from idle cold start, and is always present even after I have driven for 30 minutes. It is very noticable with the hood open but not very much with it closed.

Sincerely,

Joey
Old 02-16-08, 07:21 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Joey,

Hello and welcome to the forums, you will find this place a great resource for you and your lexus. Please post pictures of your car when you get a chance, I have the same model and year, though I have more miles.

To get to your question... -- Yes it is normal to a degree. Mine ticks constantly as well and I was concerned about it when I recently bought it. The mechanic said it was completely normal and nothing was being hurt by the slight noise.

However, I am not a certified mechanic, so hopefully others will chime in here and give some reassurement that your ok, or that maybe you need to do X or Y.

Take care,
Old 02-16-08, 07:24 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i forgot what was makin the ticking, but is normal. so dont worry about it. :] i think it was either your valves ticking or fuel injectors. something down that line.
Old 02-16-08, 07:31 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a 91 lexus and had three valves ticking real loud so I had lexus ajust them an 8 hour job at the cost of $888.00. Now I have small ticking which is normal The first few years the lexus had solid lifters and it is not uncommon to hear a little noise, you have a great car.
Old 02-16-08, 07:32 PM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to CL! And yeah it's totally normal for the 1UZFE to a degree. If it's a severe knock I'd get it checked out. But the 4.0L V8 is known for having a tick to it.
Old 02-16-08, 07:33 PM
Sixdown
Driver

I remember in other cars of mine that the electrical system would tick. Was it the distributor or spark plugs? Can't remember.

I have a similar question. When I push the accelerator pedal and then let go, as it revs downwards theres a large creak/ticking once it hits low revs. This happens every time I push the pedal and let go.
Old 02-16-08, 07:37 PM
94LS4LIFE
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jcrome04
Welcome to CL! And yeah it's totally normal for the 1UZFE to a degree. If it's a severe knock I'd get it checked out. But the 4.0L V8 is known for having a tick to it.
thank yall for the comforting replies! i don't know how to determine if the ticking is normal or too loud and is a problem? it isn't a knock though just a tick tick tick tick (real fast). sounds like two sticks hitting each other or something.

so i just shouldn't worry about it and everything is fine?
Old 02-16-08, 07:42 PM
Sixdown
Driver

Originally Posted by 94LS4LIFE
thank yall for the comforting replies! i don't know how to determine if the ticking is normal or too loud and is a problem? it isn't a knock though just a tick tick tick tick (real fast). sounds like two sticks hitting each other or something.

so i just shouldn't worry about it and everything is fine?
I'm nearly 100% sure its normal. Mine also does it. As far as i remember, it was the ignition coil sparking.

In my last post I hear a large creak from the engine if I let go of the accelerator. If it's louder than a fast ticking, then its not normal
Old 02-16-08, 07:44 PM
Iansaltes
Lead Lap

also very possibly a EGR pipe leak... pretty common problem...
Old 02-16-08, 07:46 PM
Sixdown
Driver

Originally Posted by Iansaltes
also very possibly a EGR pipe leak... pretty common problem...
An EGR pipe will cause a fast ticking noise too? I hope mine isn't the EGR.
Old 02-16-08, 07:52 PM
Iansaltes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sixdown
An EGR pipe will cause a fast ticking noise too? I hope mine isn't the EGR.
Yeah, depending on what the rpms are at it makes a noise (speeds up, gets louder...), cause its an exhaust leak. is the ticking coming from behind the engine?

I have this problem... kind of annoying, but not $600 annoying! haha I can live with it...

Last edited by Iansaltes; 02-16-08 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-16-08, 09:28 PM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tighten spark plug #7 fixed my tick. I saw it in a forum here and i replaced that plug but every so often it gets loose again. may not be your fix but it made my sheeat work.
Old 02-17-08, 12:43 AM
SW07ES
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The owners manual says to check the engine valve clearances every 60,000 miles. One LS400 owner on this forum who ignored the ticking noise and ignored the 60,000 mile valve clearance check requirement went to start his car one morning and one of the valve adjustment shims became dislodged and the result was a dead engine (ruined cylinder head). The valve clearance had become so loose on one valve that it allowed the adjusting shim to fly out of the valve lifter it's sits on.

ALL 1990-2006 LS400 and LS430 engines have mechanical valve lifters and so some of the valve clearances may get too loose or too tight over time, especially on the 1990-94 models. The 1995 on up models have improved oil delivery to the valve lifters so wear is reduced and so the valve clearances on the 1995-2006 models rarely ever get out of adjustment.
Old 02-17-08, 01:22 AM
94LS4LIFE
Driver School Candidate

ack! i was thinking maybe it was the valves making the noise but i've been told it is normal for the car. so at worst i might have to get my valves adjusted? then doing this would make my engine dead silent? how much does it cost to get that done? also i don't think it is an exhaust leak as when i drive the car it can't be heard in the cabin and it does not come from the rear of the engine. if i put my head close to the engine it is the loudest on each side of the engine where the valve covers are? i'm not sure if that is what its called but if having someone adjust those could take away the tick tick tick and save my engine from damage i need to get it done fast.

please advise

Joey
Old 02-17-08, 02:53 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

it wont be DEAD silent, engines always make noise (lotsa moving parts font ya know )

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ticking sound from engine is it normal?