LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Best Alternative to Airbags

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-08, 07:22 PM
jfab
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Alternative to Airbags

Didn't get any serious responses from VIPstylecars, hoping to see more mature answers here.

I have a '00 LS400, want to know what would be the best alternative to airbags. My initial intent was to install AirRunners, but half a year have gone now, and I still haven't got to it. So I'm guessing coilovers (or drop springs) would be the best alternative, but haven't had time to research who is best. Pointing me to sites, and brands would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-13-08, 08:52 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Air is unlike anything else.
What is it you want to do with the car ?
Old 02-14-08, 01:10 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Where in Hawaii are you? I was trying to sell my brand new Airrunner still in box that I was planning on installing on my 99 LS but never got around to it. It is still for sale, but my friend is thinking of buying my LS and might take the Airrunner as well.

Anyway, like SKP said above. There really is no substitution for air. You may be able to go nearly as low with coil overs though, but not drop springs. Coild overs will handle better, but the Airrunner actually rides really well and handles pretty well also. Plus, since you can adjust the ride height anytime, anywhere with a push of a button there really is no equal. If you get the digital controller, you can even program presets for different ride heights.

If you go coil overs I like Tein. Good price and performance. JIC and HK are also nice, but I think more expensive.
Old 02-14-08, 09:40 AM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tien CS With UAS drive hard and fast
or
KYB GR-2 With UAS

There the airforce and skipper stuff

Everyone likes airrunner.

I dont knoe a lot about airbags and what not. but these are to list a few brands i see around.

If your thinkin of riding coilover the company that makes it for our cars are Tien, JIC Magic, Locksmice(hit up balling for that), Megan Racing, and Ksport

I think your best shot with coilover is JIC Magic(heard its a lil stiff), Locksmice(which balling has on his LS some japanese stuff), and Megan Racing a lot of good reviews from people that have put it on check out 19psi thread

Last edited by PK_Celsior; 02-14-08 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-14-08, 01:54 PM
jfab
Driver School Candidate

For now I just want to lower my car, quick and easy. I've had cars with coilovers before, and it was embarrassing getting stuck at ramps. I know that if I get something adjustable, I'm going to lower it all the way. So I think something non adjustable would be my best route, or coilovers that don't lower extremely low.

CK6Speed - I live in Kalihi, the brand HK, do you mean HKS?

PK_Celsior - Sorry this is my first time being here, what's UAS, airforce, and skipper stuff? Got a link to that thread, can't seem to find it.

Thanks guys really appreciate your comments.
Old 02-14-08, 02:46 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jfab
For now I just want to lower my car, quick and easy. I've had cars with coilovers before, and it was embarrassing getting stuck at ramps. I know that if I get something adjustable, I'm going to lower it all the way. So I think something non adjustable would be my best route, or coilovers that don't lower extremely low.

PK_Celsior - Sorry this is my first time being here, what's UAS, airforce, and skipper stuff? Got a link to that thread, can't seem to find it.

Thanks guys really appreciate your comments.
get some Bilsteins and some used Eibachs or some new H&Rs and be happy then, theres a bit of adjustability in the 2 spring perch settings but u wont get past ~1.5" drop all around (TOPS!)
Old 02-15-08, 01:56 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jfab

Yea, I meant HKS
Old 02-15-08, 02:40 AM
jfab
Driver School Candidate

So far locally, Tanabe, Tein, JIC, HKS, and Buddyclub. Will be calling one more shop tomorrow.
Old 02-15-08, 10:16 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you want it slammed when parked then you have to bag it. Coil overs will not be able to produce the same results even using a universal set up.
Old 02-16-08, 12:55 AM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd much prefer air over coils any day! You can slam it to the ground but when you come to a speed bump or ramp where you'd normally be emberassed just push a button and "ppppsssshhh" everyone looks over and is jealous