LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Power steering leak - Mechanic suggests Rack and pinion?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-08, 11:53 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks Mike! We will see the diagnosis tomorrow and go from there. It isn't a big deal, I am just very **** about my toys.

Can the Lucas stuff be found at local auto store or is it online only?

Also the power steering cap says "use ATF only" so will the general Lucas be ok?
Old 07-23-08, 11:57 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
Thanks Mike! We will see the diagnosis tomorrow and go from there. It isn't a big deal, I am just very **** about my toys.

Can the Lucas stuff be found at local auto store or is it online only?

Also the power steering cap says "use ATF only" so will the general Lucas be ok?
Pep Boys has the Lucas power steering sealant.
Old 07-23-08, 12:00 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks buddy!!! BTW did the full alignment this morning
Old 07-26-08, 09:41 PM
en11871
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Air Control Valve

Originally Posted by Och
Well, the expensive parts of the PS system are:

1) Rack & Pinion. These are common to leak with age on our cars, and on most any car. I've replaced it on my old GS300, Civic. When I bought my LS it had what seemed to be a brand new rack and pinion installed. Usually if rack and pinion starts leaking, the problem escalates fast, as its high pressure, and it goes from minor leak to major leak in matter of days.

2) High pressure line. Expensive to fix, but not very common to fail. When it fails, the problem is evident right away.

3) PS pump. This one will eventually fail. There are rebuild kits - check lexls.com for tutorial.

Essential part of keeping the PS system healthy, is to use the right fluid, always keep the fluid at the recommended level, never allow air bubles in the system, and flush the fluid if it appears dirty.

But there are also simple things in the system, such as hoses that sometimes go bad, and the notorious air control valve on the bottom of the power steering pump that goes bad and causes all kinds of problems - slowly leaking or disappearing fluid, low idle, jumpy acceleration, smoke from exaust and build up in the intake manifold. Have it checked out.

Hi,

So it is possible for the Air Control Valve to cause all those problems you listed above ("slowly leaking or disappearing fluid, low idle, jumpy acceleration, smoke from exaust and build up in the intake manifold")? Please let me know for I have a leak in my PS system and at the same time my acceleration at times have been jump as well....kinda sound or feel of an exhaust leak. Thanks.
Old 10-07-14, 02:14 PM
alwa7dani
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face have same problem

[QUOTE=Neofate;3273807]Well the rack and pinion (new) is already in. It was part of the deal in buying this car. (I am buying it from this ASE Master mechanic). So when I mention this stuff it is 'free' fixes.

So whether that fixed the problem or not, it is done, and I didn't pay for it.

I just asking because I'd like to know how to check in the coming weeks to see if there is, indeed, still a problem or if it is fixed!

Which is why I asked could it be as simple as checking the PS fluid every day, and if it goes down in the next 2 weeks, to go back to him and let him know. (He said he would do whatever it took to get the PS problem fixed.. if the rack and pinion didn't do it, he'd go to the next step) -- Though he, for some reason, had narrowed it down to replacing the rack and pinion as the most likely way to fix the problem.

That seems like killing a fly with a sledgehammer -- As the rack and pinion would seem more difficult than replacing a hose/valve/pump. Though he said the rack and pinion was very easy to replace in this car.

Puredrifter said that the rack is known to go bad but is less likely than the rack and the hose? What do you mean there? You mentioned the rack in both parts of that statement.

You say plug up the power steering valve first. Ok, but I suppose the point I am getting to is:

Can I not simply tell right off the bat (in the following weeks) by monitoring the level of Power Steering fluid?

If the fluid stays topped off, then there is no leak, anywhere.. In the rack, the pump, going into the engine from valve/hose etc -- Right? Wouldn't that be the easiest way to determine if a problem still exists?

Then if the fluid is dropping, I perhaps plug the valve and then monitor (while bringing it back to the mechanic and letting him know the fluid is still dropping).

Thank

what side affect will a broken rack do ? I feel the hole car is not normal please help
Old 10-08-14, 04:11 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

edited my original post, meant to say the pump/hose are more common than the rack.