LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

A question for all LS430 UL owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-02, 08:26 AM
Rob L
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A question for all LS430 UL owners

I have a question for all of you have have the rear a/c unit....

when you have the a/c on and change the temp using the rear controls, does the air out of the ceiling vents change?

I did some experimenting with my unit and all the rear control does is change the temp for the front passengers and it seems that the air temp out of the ceiling vents stays the exact same regardless. Here is an example:

I can set the front to be max hot with both rear and front a/c on but the rear will stay exactly the same which seems to be the max cold setting. No matter what temp I slap in for either front or rear controls (even if I change things a few degrees) the rear ceiling vents output the same setting whihc again, appears to be max cold.

Is my system messed or is that just how those rear ceiling vents work? I just found out doing this experiment that the rear vent behind the right rearseat headrest does not output anything. I am wondering if that is a sign that the whole system is screwed up....

Thanks for any help

oh yeah....I did my testing with the rear air flow on both low and high. Would having it on auto control make a diff?

Last edited by Rob L; 01-28-02 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-28-02, 05:55 PM
Rob L
Rookie

bump
Old 01-29-02, 06:50 AM
Rob L
Rookie

anyone? I'd appreciate some help. surely someone here has an LS430 wiht the ultra luxury package and can answer this question.

thanks
Old 01-30-02, 10:16 AM
LS007
Lead Lap

Rob,

My Ultra Lux is pretty new (little over 1 week now) and I haven't had a chance to check out the rear A/C operation. Also with the snow here in Seattle, WA it's not like I've needed it ;}

I do have the Electrical Wiring Diagram and can look up the rear seat connections to the electronic control unit (ECU).

I was just surprised that the rear seat controls adjusted the front zones. Seems like they could have made this system independent.

Steve
Old 01-30-02, 06:59 PM
anthonycecil
Driver School Candidate

Default rear ac

I did notice the controls would change the front a/c, but have not had a chance to try out what you are concerned about. I will and will get back later. Tony
Old 01-30-02, 09:50 PM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

Ok this might not be what ur talking about, I have a GS430 though and I have experienced that if I have the temp. at about 75 or around that degree, and have it set for both feet and dash vents, it'll blow hot air out of the feet vents, and very cool air out of the dash, i think so it stirs the air up, Hot air rises, cold air sinks, good luck finding it out

ShOwGS
Old 02-01-02, 07:16 AM
Rob L
Rookie

thanks for the replies.

I was able to get lexus canada to answer my question. the vents int he rear tray on each side of the sub are used for the air purifier. the one on the right side sucks in the air and the one of the left is the outlet for the pure air. So I was wrong with thinking heat was supposed to come out of them. Heat will onyl come out of the floor vents and the vents located on the back of the centre console. Basically if you are in the back, you have to rely on the passengers in the front using a vent mode that will give you heat.

As for the rear temp controls, I guess they just adjust the overall cabin temp as there are no separate rear vents to control. Kind of a letdown for what I was expecting (I thought it was a whole diff climate system from the front) but I guess it'll be nice in the summer to have those ceiling a/c vents.

Hopefully lexus will go the Benz s-class route soon and offer qud zone climate control instead of just the current dual zone with rear controls.