LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Gauge Cluster AND dash lights AND R D N lights dont come up... help pls

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-08, 02:41 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gauge Cluster AND dash lights AND R D N lights dont come up... help pls

I have the common gauge cluster problem thats stickied at the top of the thread. However I also hav a problem with the rest of my controls such as climate and radio. None of them turn on properly. Some of them work some of them dont. Climate control lights up but of course LCD is burned out

On top of that my Parking, Reverse, Drive lights where the shifter is doesnt come on either.

Seems like a bigger problem than just the cluster. Anyone have experience with these other issues?
Old 01-10-08, 03:18 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by j stuff
I have the common gauge cluster problem thats stickied at the top of the thread. However I also hav a problem with the rest of my controls such as climate and radio. None of them turn on properly. Some of them work some of them dont. Climate control lights up but of course LCD is burned out

On top of that my Parking, Reverse, Drive lights where the shifter is doesnt come on either.

Seems like a bigger problem than just the cluster. Anyone have experience with these other issues?
They are seperate problems. The lights near your shifter are not on because the bulb down there is probably just burnt out. You have to remove the wood trim, then reach under and twist the bulb holding assembly and pop it out from the shifter trim piece (The black piece around the shifter).

Your climate control LCD being burnt out is a seperate issue also. What do you mean its burnt out? The green lights turn on but your screen is blacked out, or what exactly? If the screen is blacked out then follow this tutorial:

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/light...LCDscreen.html

If the green black lights don't turn on, the follow this tutorial:

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/light...klighting.html

Please search next time these questions have been answered many times.

www.lexls.com will be your friend.
Old 01-10-08, 04:10 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the reply suneet, i figured that since all 3 issues were going on at the same time.. that it may be some other bigger issue with the electrical stuff.

I will try the shifter bulb first thanks for that suggestion. My cluster will be sent out to mrwhizard. I just havent read anything yet about anyone having them all out at the same time.

My climate control LCD is barely readable. I can only make out the very top. Looks like lcd burned out but it still lights up. All my o ther dash lights are off.

Originally Posted by Suneet
They are seperate problems. The lights near your shifter are not on because the bulb down there is probably just burnt out. You have to remove the wood trim, then reach under and twist the bulb holding assembly and pop it out from the shifter trim piece (The black piece around the shifter).

Your climate control LCD being burnt out is a seperate issue also. What do you mean its burnt out? The green lights turn on but your screen is blacked out, or what exactly? If the screen is blacked out then follow this tutorial:

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/light...LCDscreen.html

If the green black lights don't turn on, the follow this tutorial:

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/light...klighting.html

Please search next time these questions have been answered many times.

www.lexls.com will be your friend.
Old 01-10-08, 04:19 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Suneet thanks again i just got two #74 bulbs waiting for me at an autostore for my shifter and glove.
Old 01-10-08, 09:10 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Ah man, I had a feeling this would happen. I replaced the #74 bulb yet it the light for the shifter still wont light up with the new bulb installed. Tried two bulbs, same thing

Its funny because my ac/radio lights turn on when the headlights are NOT on. However when i turn the headlights on everything is black.

Last edited by j stuff; 01-10-08 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-10-08, 09:31 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Posting again to make issue more clear

When starting car headlights off = A/C , Radio lights working... Shifter lights not working

When headlights turned on = A/C , Radio lights NOT working, Shifter lights not working either still

Weird weird.
Old 02-24-08, 01:48 AM
LILEVO
Advanced

Received 220 Likes on 107 Posts

So I was driving down the road at night when my cluster lit up at full brightness. I turned the dial to dim the cluster, but noticed that I could not brighten it up again. Well I turned the dial too far down and blacked out my cluster and AC lights.

Like your issue, if I turn the headlights OFF, my cluster and AC lights up again.

Anyone know what the issue could be? The rheostat seems "broken", as in the cluster is a fixed brightness when the headlights are off no matter which way I turn the dial.
Old 02-24-08, 04:24 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by j stuff
Posting again to make issue more clear

When starting car headlights off = A/C , Radio lights working... Shifter lights not working

When headlights turned on = A/C , Radio lights NOT working, Shifter lights not working either still

Weird weird.
Its your dimmer switch. Just turn it back.

It does that as it gives you the ability to have two settings, one for day time, and one for the night so you dont have to adjust back and forth.
Old 02-24-08, 10:47 AM
LILEVO
Advanced

Received 220 Likes on 107 Posts

I spun the dimmer switch both ways endlessly last night and the lights never came back on.

I started the car up this morning in the garage (auto headlights on) and the cluster was lit again? Pulled out into the daylight and it still worked. The dimmer switch seemed to be working again.
Old 02-24-08, 11:54 AM
ewenpg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be bad relays. Sounds like it can not handle having that much power drawn at the same time. Check for shorts as well.
Old 02-24-08, 10:54 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

update:

sent the gauge cluster to mrwhizard and it should be here in 1 day.

I found that my climate/radio/PRND lights work when the cluster works and dont work when the cluster doesnt work.

So my repaired cluster should fix all the lighting problems