LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

is the "Accessory and Main Drive Belt" the timing belt?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-08, 05:38 PM
Geremology101
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default is the "Accessory and Main Drive Belt" the timing belt?

I'm looking through the car docs to see if the timing belt has been replaced and I've noticed that at 60,000 miles it states that the "Accessory and Main Drive Belts replacement" is this the timing belt?

Also, my car ('98 LS) is at 115,000 miles. If the belt hasn't been replaced, how urgent is it that I get it replaced and how much should I expect to pay?

My guess is that the "accessory and main drive belt" is NOT the timing belt and I should get it replaced ASAP since it is an interference motor and I hould I have gotten it replaced at 90,000 miles, but I am hoping for someone to calm my fears.

Last edited by Geremology101; 01-07-08 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-07-08, 06:13 PM
kens97sto
Rookie

My guess is that it is NOT the timing belt.. You could call the shop and ask them what that means on paperwork... they also may have other records.

You definatly want to get that changed soon. 115K is not that far over and I have heard that they are usually good to 150K, but you are risking way more than the cost of the maint.

I have a 94... so its not so important. I also got luck in that mine was done 1000 miles before I bought my car.

I live in Cincinnati Ohio.. and I have had very good luck with Whithers Imports on Vine St. They have been in that location for 35 years. They are honest, and much lower than dealer prices.

If you are mechanically inclined you could do this yourself.. But even on my 1st gen car it is a PITA...not hard or even complcated.. just lots to take off the car.

Ken
Old 01-07-08, 06:58 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The LS does not have that many belts at all. The accessory belt is primarily known as the serpentine belt. This is the one that you can visibly see when you raise the hood. It snakes around the fan, alternator, a/c, power stering pulleys etc, so that all of your "Accessories" are able to be powered. Some shops refer to it as the main drive belt, others call it the serpentine belt.

Commonly the "main drive belt" would be the timing belt. If this breaks, your car will NOT operate, and with the 98 being an interference engine, will cause damage. This belt is located behind the plastic covers at the very front of your engine.

As Ken suggested above, if you have the receipts for the repairs, call the shop to see what was done. How much was the repairs, if you have the receipt? To give you an idea,, a timing belt will run you the better half of $300 and up from a repair facility. At the dealer, this repair will sky rocket to the better half of $1000. If Timing belt, has not been done, would suggest having it done soon along with the water pump (they are both right there together, might as well change them both instead of having to pay to have this area accessed twice). If you are a "dealer only" person, save yourself a little bit of money and take the car to a Toyota dealership. The repair will be a LITTLE cheaper than that of a Lexus dealership. Either that, of find a shop/mechanic that you trust and go to work.

Last edited by trukn1; 01-07-08 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-07-08, 06:59 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Their is only one accesory and one drive belt . So if it says "and" then it should mean both were done.
Old 01-07-08, 09:39 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

ken, your info is WRONG, the 95-00 belts may or may not last 150k but UNLIKE the 1st gen LS, the 95-00 are interference engines, so if the TB snaps, the valves make sweet love to the pistons and you're out several thousand dollars at LEAST.

"accessory AND main drive belts" mean both the accessory(commonly known as "fan belt") belt and the "Main Drive" aka Timing belt need to or were replaced??
Old 01-07-08, 11:38 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
UNLIKE the 1st gen LS, the 95-00 are interference engines, so if the TB snaps, the valves make sweet love to the pistons and you're out several thousand dollars at LEAST.
Thank god for that. I guess Lexus wanted to squeeze as much compression out of those heads as possible, hence the difference between interference/non-interference?
Old 01-08-08, 12:58 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by avalon42
Thank god for that. I guess Lexus wanted to squeeze as much compression out of those heads as possible, hence the difference between interference/non-interference?
yep, they upped the comp (more aggressive timing) in the 95 LS and made it an interference motor.

98 was interference due to timing AND the completely new head design.
Old 01-08-08, 02:30 AM
wpai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer told me that my 98 LS, though only has 58 K miles, should have timing belt change because it has passed 7.5 years. Is age also important for timing belt deterioration? Or, does climate matter? Here in Taiwan the weather is not extreme but it's sort of wet.
I intend to drive another 12K miles before the belt change. Am I risking too much?
Old 01-08-08, 05:34 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have heard that they are usually good to 150K, but you are risking way more than the cost of the maint.

I have a 94... so its not so important.
Pure, I think that Ken was expressing that he has read cases in general where some of the belts have gone to 150K. He did state that he has a 1st gen, so he would not have the problem of interference vs non-interference.

Wpai, you mechanic is correct, although the belt does not have alot of wear on it, it should be changed because of the age. T-belts should be changed at 60K anyway and you are close. Right now, you belt is 10 years old. Like any rubber incorporated product, age and weather factors will have a little to do with the deterioration of the belt. After more than 9 years (ball park guess), the belts, as well as and rubber probuct, are subject to dry rot, cracking , etc.

Gero, and Wpai I see that you 2 are registed in the Md area. Drop down in to the NELOC section of this forum and introduct yourselves.
Old 01-08-08, 06:50 AM
wpai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trukn1
Pure, I think that Ken was expressing that he has read cases in general where some of the belts have gone to 150K. He did state that he has a 1st gen, so he would not have the problem of interference vs non-interference.

Wpai, you mechanic is correct, although the belt does not have alot of wear on it, it should be changed because of the age. T-belts should be changed at 60K anyway and you are close. Right now, you belt is 10 years old. Like any rubber incorporated product, age and weather factors will have a little to do with the deterioration of the belt. After more than 9 years (ball park guess), the belts, as well as and rubber probuct, are subject to dry rot, cracking , etc.

Gero, and Wpai I see that you 2 are registed in the Md area. Drop down in to the NELOC section of this forum and introduct yourselves.
-------------------
I think the recommended interval for timing belt change on 98 LS400 is 90K miles, not 60K. But I guess I will have the timing belt changed soon since it's nearly 10 year old. Thanks for the suggestion.
Also thinking about converting the car to LPG/gas
BTW, I moved back to Taiwan and no longer in MD. Good luck on you NELOC guys.
Old 01-08-08, 07:16 AM
98LS
Rookie

I had the timing belt and water pump done on my 98 LS at the Toyota dealer. It was right at $1,000 for the job. I think Lexus wanted over $1,200. If you have a trusted mechanic that understands this car, it should be less than either dealership.
Old 01-08-08, 03:15 PM
Geremology101
Rookie

Today I got 2 quotes for $637 and $675. I'm dropping it off on Friday to get the water pump and the timing belt changed. Thanks Guys.
Old 01-08-08, 05:22 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Before having it change have them inspect it for 1/2 labor of removing a couple bolts, no cracks freying or damage and it will be fine for another 15 000 before inspecting again. Even with some cracking it can last another 10 000. inspect before replacing as they last a long time no matter the age or use.