LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

95 Idle high when cold?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-08, 10:28 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Here Is A Update On Our Lexus When I Had Have My Valves Ajusted The Tech Told Me About A Problem We All Might Have With The Old Lexus With High Mileage. It Was About The Carbon That Gets Into Our Throttle Body And Can Almost Close Of The Air Going Into The Engine. On Mine He Had To Chip It Sand It And Finally It All Came Off. He Said This Is A Problem With All The Fuel Injection Cars So If Your Lexus Seems Sluggish Check The Throttle Body For Carbon. Valve Ajustments Are Rare On The Lexus Motor Mine Was An Exception It Made Noise And 1 Or The Lifter Buckets Was Giving Problems. Cost $895.00 Ouch But The Car Now Tons Of Power Which I Didn't Have For Years. HAS ANY ONE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND IT WAS CARBON IN THE THROTTLE BODY.
Old 02-12-08, 10:35 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Neofate
On topic: It seems this is common, but still doesn't mean it is in 'proper intended function' Or in other words maybe alot of these older Lexus's simply have yet another common problem. Though a high idle is not damaging the engine, if anything it is helping everything get lubricated on a cold day. -- Not top priority,.. now in ice as was mentioned.. I can see the annoyance. Luckily down south I don't have to deal with that but once every few years.

To the quote:

I've heard the opposite. I have heard that it is best to let the engine idle for a minute when you first start it after it has set for the night/a day, or longer. So the engine becomes lubricated and warms up before putting any major stress on it. Why would it be bad to allow an engine to idle?
THANKS FOR THE COME BACK YOU MAKE A GREAT POINT BILL
Old 02-13-08, 02:46 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dowd
HAS ANY ONE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND IT WAS CARBON IN THE THROTTLE BODY.
Yes, I have had to clean carbon deposits out of the throttle body. However not with a Lexus (yet). The throttle body on most engines are one of the 'easier' items to get to.. though I'm not sure how deeply it is buried on an LS400.

Also they are among one of the first items in a series of sensors and whatnot before the air goes into the Intake.

Generally it is something like Air filter -- piping -- MAS/F -- TB -- Piping (or not) (maybe some a sqaure block with coolant running through it to quickly cool the air, depends on car) then into the Intake manifold.

I only mention this, because carbon buildup generally happens *after* that point.

Anyone care to comment on why carbon deposits would form in a damaging (major) fashion in the Thottle body ? Besides the carbon in the air, the air shouldn't be that heated to form large deposits (a little yes, but not alot) --

Does the intake back-flow into the TB?

Thanks,
Old 10-04-16, 04:13 AM
LS400SLAMM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Taiwanese
4TehNguyen,

I know most cars' idle will be higher (1000 rpm?) when engine is cold. But not at 1800 rpm. And it feels like the car is running away (I have to step on the brake hard).

your transmission is slipping