LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1991 Lexus LS400 - need new struts HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-07, 07:50 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol. I wanted to make sure you seen it! I think we may be on the wrong page... I was referring to the rears and you are quoting the fronts. Maybe the fronts are higher? Maybe they sold them to me for $52.00 because they liked me? Maybe they charged me the wrong price? I have no clue. They were in Toyota boxes and had "TOYOTA" stamped right on the bottom of the struts if that makes any difference? Even though they read "TOYOTA" on them and were in "TOYOTA" boxes, does that mean they were still not OEM shocks? I have a photo of the boxes still yet if that would help?

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
typing in bold doesnt make you right

list price for 95-00 LS400 front strut (ONE) is ~$134.

list price for 90-94 LS400 front end (ONE) is ~$120.

even carson isnt giving more than 15% off TOPS, so im pretty confident you didnt get OEM shocks for more than 1/2 off

Last edited by 91LS400LEX; 12-14-07 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-14-07, 07:56 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Thanks. Well, I am not sure how old they were. All I remember is that the original owner had a receipt in the glove compartment where he had just purchased them and had them installed like a month before I bought the car. He paid like $79. each for them (the KYB's). I remember that I felt every little bump in the rear suspension and there was very little movement when I pressed down on the rear, so I went to the dealer and bought what I thought were OEMs. Not sure if it means anything, but the ones I bought from the local Lexus dealer were in sealed Toyota boxes (it was a brown box, with red type on it. On the struts, the name "TOYOTA" was printed on them.. all in upper case letters. I am assuming they were OEM's. They were like $110. for both after taxes. Like I said, they may have mischarged me, or liked me or something? I do know that the car had a much nicer ride after I had the "Toyota" struts installed. I still have the packages here with the old KYBs I removed from it.

Remember, this was 2004 when this occured.... I am sure they are higher now.

Originally Posted by trukn1
You paid $52 each from a dealer, you did not get the OEM shocks. I know you say that the dealership had a Toyota dealership attatched. I can almost guarantee that you also have the aftermarket struts for that price. Not saying you are wrong but from a Lexus dealer only, the OEM shocks run close to $98 each.
Old 12-16-07, 12:22 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The 90LS in my family now has 237,252 & has every single suspension component replaced with new oem. Crazy, I know but that is how my Dad wanted to do it.
Old 12-17-07, 01:09 AM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by damon
The 90LS in my family now has 237,252 & has every single suspension component replaced with new oem. Crazy, I know but that is how my Dad wanted to do it.
I don't think it's crazy at all if you're considering keeping the car for another 100,000+ miles more.

After talking with Lexus it would cost $1,250 for the front strut assembly and $1,250 for the rear parts and labor. Is it worth me putting $2,500 into my $4,000 car? The question I have to ask myself is how long do I plan on keeping this one before upgrading? I can't afford to upgrade right now but a year from now I'm going to be in a much better place. So maybe it's better to go aftermarket.

On a side note, the engine is as strong as ever and it shifts flawlessly.
Old 12-17-07, 05:29 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sportznuts
I don't think it's crazy at all if you're considering keeping the car for another 100,000+ miles more.

After talking with Lexus it would cost $1,250 for the front strut assembly and $1,250 for the rear parts and labor. Is it worth me putting $2,500 into my $4,000 car? The question I have to ask myself is how long do I plan on keeping this one before upgrading? I can't afford to upgrade right now but a year from now I'm going to be in a much better place. So maybe it's better to go aftermarket.

On a side note, the engine is as strong as ever and it shifts flawlessly.
wow they're trying to retire on you! you can do that job yourself you know...
all you need is basic tools and a spring compressor that you can rent for free from a parts store.
it might take you a day since you haven't done it before, but i couldn't see anyone paying that kind of money for struts unless tehy just have lots of extra money sitting around.
even if you went with lexus oe struts, total would be about what, $600 or whatever and a days worth of your time.
i'd get the kyb's though... the softest oe ride isn't wortht he boatlike handling that goes with it. with the kyb's you'll be able to go around corners without tipping over!
Old 12-17-07, 08:39 AM
GSPfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to replace my struts with a conversion kit from Struts-r-us and I was really suprised on how well it rode and the look it gave the car for the cost..I have a buddy that ordered some from the same place and he is in the process of putting them on

Last edited by GSPfan; 12-17-07 at 08:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-17-07, 12:40 PM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
wow they're trying to retire on you! you can do that job yourself you know...
all you need is basic tools and a spring compressor that you can rent for free from a parts store.
it might take you a day since you haven't done it before, but i couldn't see anyone paying that kind of money for struts unless tehy just have lots of extra money sitting around.
even if you went with lexus oe struts, total would be about what, $600 or whatever and a days worth of your time.
i'd get the kyb's though... the softest oe ride isn't wortht he boatlike handling that goes with it. with the kyb's you'll be able to go around corners without tipping over!
I am incredibly unmechanical (is that a word) and for me to do an oil change would pose a challenge, but you guys have finally convinced me to go KYB. I can get them on ebay for real cheap. I have a friend who's a former mechanic, maybe he can help me out. As far as handling, this car needs HELP! So hopefully the KYB's improve there.

Thanks guys.

Honestly, this is the best forum I've ever been apart of PERIOD! Everyone is so helpful. Definitely a change of pace to everyday life where it seems most want to get something tangible out of helping someone.

You guys are the best.

I'm gonna get KYB struts and have a friend help me install.

Savings: $1,500

thanks a million.
Old 12-17-07, 12:45 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No problem bro,,,, just toss those questions out there,,,we got you; after you use the search feature of course .
Old 12-17-07, 01:19 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportznuts
I am incredibly unmechanical (is that a word) and for me to do an oil change would pose a challenge, but you guys have finally convinced me to go KYB. I can get them on ebay for real cheap. I have a friend who's a former mechanic, maybe he can help me out. As far as handling, this car needs HELP! So hopefully the KYB's improve there.

Thanks guys.

Honestly, this is the best forum I've ever been apart of PERIOD! Everyone is so helpful. Definitely a change of pace to everyday life where it seems most want to get something tangible out of helping someone.

You guys are the best.

I'm gonna get KYB struts and have a friend help me install.

Savings: $1,500

thanks a million.
ya know, since ur getting those KYBs i could think of a couple springs that would prolly fit well too
Old 12-17-07, 01:29 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
ya know, since ur getting those KYBs i could think of a couple springs that would prolly fit well too
lol now is the time! why pay someone to do the same job twice!

since he's saving all that money anyway on the job, he'll have a couple hundred to blow on some tanabes.
Old 11-19-14, 12:45 AM
Connie13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Sportznuts;3115566]I took my car into Midas to get the front suspension checked. All the guy did was drive it over speed bumps and tell me I needed new struts. They never really looked at it. It feels pretty loose in back as well but it makes considerable noise going over speed bumps.

I was quoted at $430 for parts/$280 for labor for new struts in front.

Is this reasonable?

I actually thought the 1991's had air suspension.

Can anybody steer me to an ebay auction with credible struts?[/QUOTE

I have 1990 ls400 I have whole set of air struts for sale. I guarantee their quality! I bought one for 600$ when I had to replace one!! I am selling whole set for 500$. 985-974-7651
Old 11-19-14, 07:02 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

You can get kyb's on amazon for about $340 shipped. Worked great for me