LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

60K service follow up at Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-02, 10:52 AM
jahummer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 60K service follow up at Dealer

Well, 2 weeks after getting my LS back from the dealer after the 60Kservice I had to bring it back for issues that I had presented to them originally such as a groaning noise from steering wheeling, chirping from steering pump and shaking in the steering wheel as well as a clunk in the front suspension when going over bumps.

Now the dealer says the power steering pump is leaking like a seive and the bearings are shot, the rack and pinion is shot, the ball joints are shot and the steering pulley is bent.

Now I have a question, as part of the 60K service they are not only suposed to inspect everything, but they even noted on the work order that the pump fluid was low and needed to be flushed and replaced.

So why didn't they notice all of this even after I pointed out the problems in the first place?

Anyhow, anyone else here have to do any of these things at 60K?
Old 01-22-02, 04:43 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 60K service follow up at Dealer

Another reason for me not to trust the dealer. Even Lexus dealer. Don't get me wrong, some mechanic out there do it correctly, but most just don't work on car as they should be. You got to understand the dealer charge you so many hours per job order. If the mechanic can do that job faster he collect more money...So what ever job at hand he'll just do that and wait for the owner to come back for the next job. Why would he correct the problem without getting pay for it

For example, if you want a timing belt change, when he take all the parts out and see that the water pump also need replacing. Would he tell the owner? Why? the owner only ask to change the timing belt, so he change the belt, put everything back, wait another month or so the car will be back for the water pump job. Another labor charge for the same parts to take out for timing or the water pump. If you, the owner doing the work yourself you would change everything as a preventive maintenance because you don't want to do the same work again in a month. For the mechanic, that is another big job for him

As for inspection at 60k. If he said that he inspected (look around the engine bay, like he notice that the P/S fluid was low) and he didn't see anything was wrong. What are you going to say? Since you trusted them or you don't know what's going on with mechanical parts he can say anything and you believe him.
Not that I say you don't know anything, I was just like you and I have to learn the hard way. I still got screw by them just recently even thought I told them to do exactly what I want. I wasn't there to see the work, I only see it after the car was home and I was working on changing a light bulb to see how they F*#K me, inferior workmanship. The mechanic knows that I know what I am talking about and he still stick it to me And I can't do anything about it

Can't help you on anything, just rand

Originally posted by jahummer
Well, 2 weeks after getting my LS back from the dealer after the 60Kservice I had to bring it back for issues that I had presented to them originally such as a groaning noise from steering wheeling, chirping from steering pump and shaking in the steering wheel as well as a clunk in the front suspension when going over bumps.

Now the dealer says the power steering pump is leaking like a seive and the bearings are shot, the rack and pinion is shot, the ball joints are shot and the steering pulley is bent.

Now I have a question, as part of the 60K service they are not only suposed to inspect everything, but they even noted on the work order that the pump fluid was low and needed to be flushed and replaced.

So why didn't they notice all of this even after I pointed out the problems in the first place?

Anyhow, anyone else here have to do any of these things at 60K?
Old 01-22-02, 04:57 PM
jahummer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VQT, thanks for your input.

I must say that many of your comments are probably true. I have owned many cars and have had a variety of experiences.

Unfortunately we sometimes have to learn the hard way, however being the tough negotiator that I am I don't put up with much bullcrap.

Anyhow, fortunately in this case the car is under warranty and isn't costing me a dime. Had it not though, I would have given them a good rheeming for not finding the problem.