LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Name your price

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-07, 08:27 PM
Sanpete
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Name your price

Here's a puzzle.

I'm going to see this 91 LS with 136K miles, a SoCal car all its days, owned and fixed up for part of its last five years by the family of a former Lexus dealer mechanic who has now opened his own shop. He says the starter, timing belt, water pump, pulleys, and such have been replaced during the last few years. Also much of the suspension. All OEM parts, he says, all by him. Says everything works, and that it drives better than your average LS because of his work on the suspension. Sounds great.

And the engine has been replaced, by one with 55K miles on it about 15K ago. And he rebuilt the transmission. I didn't ask why the tranny needed that at such a tender age. The engine blew the head gasket, so I'm guessing someone wasn't taking good care. And, to reinforce that view, the leather on the front seats is shot, and one of the tires needs to be replaced (low tread). Don't know why only one, but I intend to ask him.

So, assuming this is all true, what would you pay? (Naturally, Edmunds and Kelley Blue Book are in different universes on the value, as usual where old Lexi are concerned.)
Old 10-23-07, 08:33 PM
pfantom68
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well... used car values vary greatly around the US, but I think that it's a consensus that most on here would pay in the ballpark of about $2500USD.

It looks clean, but the fact that the engine was replaced and the trans rebuilt would tell me to steer clear altogether. If you do like it though, use the interior as an excuse to talk him down.

The reason one of the tires is shot is probably because it was driven on while underinflated... that's what the deal was with my stock wheels when I bought my car too. Three of them were decent, and one was worn past the wear bars and had excessive sidewall damage all around.
Old 10-23-07, 10:56 PM
Sanpete
Rookie

Underinflation--that would fit well with the general neglect theory. I'll have to look at the wear pattern.

I probably would buy it for $2,500, but that's about 60% of the asking price, so I'm not too hopeful. At that price, I could buy four similar and likely have at least one real gem for the price I'm considering for a 98-99.
Old 10-24-07, 07:23 AM
tcbted
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just as an aside, why is is that every used engine has "about" 50k on it?
Seems to be the magic number everyone quotes, but never with verification.
I agree with $2500 ... no way is that car worth $4k.
I would be wary of the many years of mechanical neglect coming back to bite me, irregardless of the work done to the car.
Its still a 16yr old car with a spotty maintenance history.
Based on the destroyed leather and ruined tire, its not as if Mr. Mechanic
was tuned in to all aspects of the car.
Old 10-24-07, 07:35 AM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No, I won't buy it. It is a car with a lot of unknown problems.
Old 10-24-07, 01:00 PM
MiserLS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Run AWAAAAYYYY!!!

An "experienced" mechanic has had to replace the engine, rebuild the trans, etc, on a car with 136K miles. This car may have some bigger problems, namely the one working on it. Find a car which hasn't had all the "hands on" work done.

Use the $2500 towards a better condition vehicle.

~miser
Old 10-24-07, 01:09 PM
heyhowyado
Pole Position

i agree.......keep looking....you'll find something better....
Old 10-24-07, 01:52 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MiserLS400
Run AWAAAAYYYY!!!

An "experienced" mechanic has had to replace the engine, rebuild the trans, etc, on a car with 136K miles. This car may have some bigger problems, namely the one working on it. Find a car which hasn't had all the "hands on" work done.

Use the $2500 towards a better condition vehicle.

~miser
Amen-
Mine has nearly 200,000 and it runs like new.........this one has a new engine and tranny? I'd pass given this information. There are so many first gens available that are cream puffs out there.
Old 10-24-07, 02:56 PM
Sanpete
Rookie

Saw the car today. I'm not especially worried about the mechanical condition. The engine is (the owner says) one imported from Japan by Watanabe Engine Importers. (One reason so many replacement engines have about 50K on them is that Japanese drivers are typically done with them by that age. He cited tough emissions standards as a reason, which didn't make so much sense to me, though engine importers do cite the expensive tests required to keep a car running as a reason cars are scrapped early in Japan.) In any case, the engine sounds good, has excellent acceleration, no smoke on cold start, though it seemed to me to run richer than the 97 I tested during warm-up (could smell it in the exhaust--the 97 seemed lean even cold). The ride is excellent considering the age, better than the 97 I tried.

He said he rebuilt the transmission (not completely, only some parts) because he was replacing the solenoids and ... *mechanic's shrug*.

The front seats are awful, not only torn open but hard. There's no subwoofer (the former owner found it annoying and removed it, he says).

The seller is willing to do some more work on it if I supply parts--struts, for example, which seem OK but are about the only suspension components he hasn't already done. The owner just opened his own Lexus shop.

I don't expect to buy it, but I did think it was a good ride mechanically. Still hoping to test a 98 or 99 LS.

Thanks for all the input.