LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Ever have one of those true "oops" moments where you hate yourself?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-07, 03:34 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ever have one of those true "oops" moments where you hate yourself?

Oh man.. oh man.. I feel like such a jackass. Pulling into work today, after picking my car up from the mechanic here, I scraped the rear driver's side quarter against a pole in the parking lot.

It's pretty bad. Door is scratched, rear door rocker panel, and a little bit of the rear bumper.

Easily $1000 worth of damage.

I feel like such a jackass!

It was a tight spot, I knew it, I was looking in the driver's side mirror, I had atleast 2" of clearance, so I went for it, and then *SCREEECH*... Game over.

It could be worse, I suppose.. but my baby was freshly painted! I Haven't even done my first coat of wax yet!
Old 10-23-07, 03:45 PM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm speechless...
Old 10-23-07, 03:54 PM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

Everybody has brain farts.
Old 10-23-07, 03:54 PM
Griffin400
Pole Position

Yeah...one of these moments has happened to me. Pulling down the driveway in the truck. Had another car parked next to me on the driveway and it was trash day so i was backing out and trying to avoid the trash can sitting on the street which was on the other side of the truck. Turned the wheel a little to early and BAM hit the car next to me.
Old 10-23-07, 05:09 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh man that is terrbile - I feel for you bro - I pulled into the parking garage at work and knicked the concrete wall last month
Old 10-23-07, 07:00 PM
Iansaltes
Lead Lap

Heres a story for you... I have a pretty big truck as my work truck.. and a few years back when I worked at UPS I had a horrible mistake. Since the truck was so long, and the parking spots were so small.. I had to park OVER the parking bumper thing. I left pretty fast... and didnt see that someone was parked behind me (in a little 90's civic), and I gunned it to get all over the parking bumper and SLAMMED into his car, and my rear tires were actually on the roof of his car... i didnt want insurance to pay for it, cause I had just totalled my vette a year prior. I dont remember how much it cost, but it was about 5k or so.
Attached Thumbnails Ever have one of those true "oops" moments where you hate yourself?-2665103_1_full.jpg  
Old 10-23-07, 07:03 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Done similar and many others.

Long ago was trying to squeeze between a car and a large pine tree. I was so intent on the car that I didn't notice I'd sideswiped the tree and had driven against it for about 3'. Luckily it was on a very wet day so the tree bark was softened and it basically left a rub mark that was easily waxed out. I did slightly dent the door panel though.

Dad just bought a new '08 Corolla. The first hour he had the car, he was not paying attention and backed it into a Postal truck that pulled in behind him for a drop off. Gouged the bumper in 28 miles.
Old 10-23-07, 07:06 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

that sucks dude! my friend scraped the crap out of her pristine ls400's rear quarter panel on one of those stupid poles. She had the car 3 days... It was her grandmother's old car.

And for a brain fart.... get this.

So i just got out of a ticket that would have made me lose my license (94 in a 70)

and yesterday i was in a rush to get home and apparently tailgated an off duty cop(civilian car... jeep grand Cherokee I'm not a total idiot.). He was pissed so he tailgated me, so i tried to lose him. He saw i was speeding and called the cops to come give me a ticket. But i realized something was up and slowed down. By the time the cop came and pulled me over i was in another county. They couldn't give me a ticket cause i didn't break any laws in the on duty cops county. THAT SUCKED! I'M SO DUMB! I really dont speed anymore. I promise. I learned my lesson. Well I'll still speed. but safely.

Last edited by omarg; 10-23-07 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-23-07, 07:27 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Im telling you, its all that moisture in Seattle. I felt more brain farts there than being here in So Cal.

Sorry about the damage dude. That was one sweet *** paint job. Now let's see if they can match that metallic paint...
Old 10-23-07, 08:36 PM
pfantom68
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OUCH! That sucks.

I've had many close calls just doing stupid stuff in general, but never in normal driving. I guess I'm just that good. :P
Old 10-23-07, 10:29 PM
Sanpete
Rookie

That's painful. I was thinking as I looked at a worn LS on eBay last night that it already had a paint job I wouldn't have to worry about scratching. Seemed like a plus somehow.

Not quite an oops, but today, as the TV news has been filled with footage and stories of fires in SoCal, one piece that got to me was a shot of a vague burned mound that was a newly restored 1957 T-Bird until today.
Old 10-24-07, 12:12 AM
chubby
Lead Lap

curbed my rear wheel... no tire wall for the lose. all i felt was the rim of the wheel scraping against the sidewalk. what an eerie feeling.
Old 10-24-07, 02:27 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Back when I had my Lincoln LS, I remember one day I had come home from schooland one of my step-mothers friends had parked in the driveway. Well, me being as "right" as I always am, decided that I could pull in behind this SUV without leaving the tail end in the road. Well I got up as close as I could and I realized I was still in the road a bit, so I gave it 2 inches more, that I knew I didnt have, and hit the truck. The hitch left a small indent on the front of my car...

I think we've all made retarded mistakes.
Old 10-24-07, 05:21 AM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, we've all had our fair share of boners on and off the road, so don't feel too bad.
Old 10-24-07, 06:59 AM
docdgt@com
Rookie

Default Garage doors are dangerous!

How about a guy so stupid that he backed into his own garage door from the inside! I get the gold medal!

I changed "clickers" from one door to the other; I pressed the correct button (on the other clicker, of course). The net result was that the other door lifted, I heard it go, did not look back and reversed right into mine.

I like to think that this happens to us all, but I hope I'm wrong.

Quick Reply: Ever have one of those true "oops" moments where you hate yourself?