LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

'98 LS 400 Navigation Boots up intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-07, 06:21 PM
zeet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 LS 400 Navigation Boots up intermittently

My 2004 version NAV boots up at the first start of the car each day, then will boot up intermittently the balance of the day. I receive the message "check hard disk" when it does not work. I recently determined if I unplug the connections to the unit and plug them in again the system works, but then it returns to the intermittent state again. The Lexus dealer said it could cost up to $1800 to repair so that is not going to happen. I can always buy a portable GPS, but would prefer to find a solution instead.

Has anyone experienced this problem?
Old 09-17-07, 08:56 PM
FranKLS400
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem with my 1999 LS400 after I installed the updated hard drive. I tried reinstalling the hard drive and wiggling all the connectors but nothing works. Mine does not alway reboot randomly (happens maybe once a week), but when it does, it will continue to randomly reboot until I turn my car off and and back on. After the random rebooting the trip information, such as all my gas consumption, miles between fillup, etc.. would be lost but it would remember all the current information such as where I am on the map, how far I have driven on the current tank, etc...
Old 09-18-07, 09:27 PM
zeet
Driver School Candidate

That's interesting. I don't have any issues with any other programs except what I wrote. But, it appears the updated hard drive is the culprit. I purchased mine online at Sewell and contacted them about the problem. They only said I would need to take it to a Lexus dealer. I am resigning myself to buy a portable gps and give up on this one. That's not necessarily bad since the technology has advanced and the device can be moved to different vehicles. Good luck with your problem.
Old 09-18-07, 10:58 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's the hard drive then I wonder if it would be possible to image this one onto a replacement drive on your own.
Old 09-19-07, 07:49 AM
FranKLS400
Driver School Candidate

I also bought mine from Sewell Lexus and they told me the same thing about going to a dealer to diagnose this problem. Too bad I had to return my old hard drive. I wanted to reinstall it and see if the problem goes away.
Old 09-20-07, 07:57 AM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mr. Hustad,

After reading your posting on Club Lexus and if I am understanding your comments below correctly, you feel we should replace your navigation update hard drive with a new one due to an intermittent "check hard disk" prompt. If this is the case, while it would be relatively easy for me to provide you with the "Sewell" service and provide a replacement, it may not resolve your problem. Your problem may exist elsewhere and may need a proper diagnosis from those trained for such.

From my experience, I have never come across a navigation update needing to be replaced, whether it was an issue originating from the internet or from our service department. I can however attest to the number of navigation computers we keep in stock. We keep navigation computers in stock for the simple reason for resolving those concerns similar to what you noted in your original email.

Because we do not have the ability to properly diagnose your Lexus, we humbly suggest you contact your local dealer in the attempt of resolving your concern. Or, if you find yourself in our area, we can certainly assist. Should the navigation hard drive be deemed defective, we can then provide you with a replacement. Or, the servicing dealer can provide you with a replacement.

Please understand, it would not make good business sense to arbitrarily provide warranty replacements without knowing the true cause or culprit to the problem.

Thank you for your consideration to our response.

Darrel Diller
Internet Customer Relations
Sewell Lexus Online
lexus-parts.com
ddiller@sewell.com
Old 09-20-07, 08:00 AM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FranKLS400
I also bought mine from Sewell Lexus and they told me the same thing about going to a dealer to diagnose this problem. Too bad I had to return my old hard drive. I wanted to reinstall it and see if the problem goes away.
FranKLS400 - I having some difficutly finding a transaction to which we returned a hard drive in the past three years. Would it be possible you could contact me so that I may attempt to assist you further?