LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Newbie-seeking ways to update 1st Gen interior

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-07, 07:41 PM
Jlacck
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Newbie-seeking ways to update 1st Gen interior

Hey guys this is actually my first post on this forum, but I just discovered this site a couple of days ago. Anyhow, there is a 1993 LS 400 that I'm considering buying, but if I get it I'd like to update the interior (mainly the console elements).

One thing I was considering was having something like a Clarion MAX675VDII installed: (http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...294767357.html)

Other thoughts included adding some wood trim from a wood triming kit that I saw on ebay. My question is, would the MAX675II even fit in the console of a 1st Gen LS 400? Also, I was wondering what are some other thoughts or ideas that could be done to help give the console a more updated look? I would appreciate any feedback you guys have to give.
Old 09-07-07, 08:38 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmmm, by the looks of it,it is a double din unit so it should fit well. Whomever installs it will have to fabricate any trim pieces, mount bracket, etc because there realy is no kit available for the first gen LS. So even if you were not considering a double din unit, some kind of custome fab to mount and keeo the unit steady would have to be the case. Not an expert on this, since I have yet to change out my first gen head unit, but I think it should fit. There are many opinions here on the ebay wook kits. Primarily, that they never match anything, peel easily, fade in short amounts of time, etc. Personally, I say this is your car, so get what you like. Just know that you WILL get what you pay for. Also make sure to have the climate controls (lighting) fixed in the car. It is common for these things to burn out. If you are handy with electronics, there is a kit on ebay to fix. If not, then take it out and send it to them. Many here have done so, with excellent results. You will, however, ride around with a hole in the console until your unit comes back. LOL!!

Welcome to the club and keep us updated on what YOU decide. Also, use the search/advance search feature here on the forum with the key words to help you find ALOT of information.
Old 09-07-07, 08:44 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

trukn always with the long a$$ speeches , but hes mostly correct. welcome.
Old 09-07-07, 09:10 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
trukn always with the long a$$ speeches , but hes mostly correct. welcome.
LMAO!!!! Jokes,,you got jokes!! NELOC doesnt call me the senator for nothing bro!!
Old 09-07-07, 09:19 PM
Jlacck
Driver

Talking

It is common for these things to burn out. If you are handy with electronics, there is a kit on ebay to fix. If not, then take it out and send it to them. Many here have done so, with excellent results. You will, however, ride around with a hole in the console until your unit comes back. LOL!!
LOL... not sure if I like the "hole in the console" idea but its definitely worth a look. Right now I'm pretty much in my researching phase so I can determine what to expect from these models. The car that I'm viewing has under 90k miles but it IS a 1993 so I'm trying to determine whats these cars are worth. Blue book value says it worth $7k-$9k. But the research I've done on these forums seems to put the "consumer value" (as in what people are willing to pay) at no more than $6.5k. I think $6500 is a steal considering the condition and miles on the car... Now if only I can just find a way to talk them down

p.s.- I'm assuming based on what you're saying about the wood kits from ebay that I'd be better off having a detailer install actual wood trims.
Old 09-07-07, 09:35 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

93 at $6500,,, walk away quickly!!!! I love my first gen, but sadly it is not worth $6500, especially with the miles. That car would have to be in almost factory, pristine condition, with ALL of the maintenance done and known first gen aches corrected; and even then. For that money, maybe a little more, you can search around and pretty much get a later model and be much happier. Dont get me wrong, the first gen was one of the most highly engineered cars that Lexus made, but the price is wayyyy out of whack here for a 93. Check the vehicle classified forums here, as well as some of the other search engines for a better deal. You may have to have another member here go and check the car out for you before you make the trip to go and see it for yourself, if in another state, but that is what we are here for. To help one another. I just dont think you would be getting the best value for your money with this one.
Old 09-07-07, 09:40 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by trukn1
93 at $6500,,, walk away quickly!!!! I love my first gen, but sadly it is not worth $6500, especially with the miles. That car would have to be in almost factory, pristine condition, with ALL of the maintenance done and known first gen aches corrected; and even then. For that money, maybe a little more, you can search around and pretty much get a later model and be much happier. Dont get me wrong, the first gen was one of the most highly engineered cars that Lexus made, but the price is wayyyy out of whack here for a 93. Check the vehicle classified forums here, as well as some of the other search engines for a better deal. You may have to have another member here go and check the car out for you before you make the trip to go and see it for yourself, if in another state, but that is what we are here for. To help one another. I just dont think you would be getting the best value for your money with this one.
Yes, the wise one speaks the truth...$6500 will put you into a 95/96 here in CA fast...
Old 09-07-07, 09:47 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Found this on EDMUNDS.com.....
Add Options to this 1993 Lexus LS 400 4 Dr STD Sedan

Trade-In Private Party Dealer Retail
$2,966 $3,781 $5,140

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1993/lex...1/options.html
Attached Images  

Last edited by trukn1; 09-07-07 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-07-07, 09:56 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

ehh, idk about CO but i recall there being a member here that got hella lucky and bough a 98 LS400 at auction for <9grand
Old 09-07-07, 09:56 PM
Jlacck
Driver

93 at $6500,,, walk away quickly!!!! I love my first gen, but sadly it is not worth $6500, especially with the miles.
Whoa, looks like I have to do some more research then. What is a price that you guys think is more inline with what a 1993 with less than a 90k miles is worth?

Maybe the prices out here in Colorado are way out of wack, but most of the LS 400s that I've seen have over 110k miles (even the newer ones). I guess the problem I'm struggling with is... do you buy an older car with less miles or a newer car with more miles?
Old 09-07-07, 10:27 PM
1995LS400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlacck
Maybe the prices out here in Colorado are way out of wack, but most of the LS 400s that I've seen have over 110k miles (even the newer ones). I guess the problem I'm struggling with is... do you buy an older car with less miles or a newer car with more miles?
Hey bro, I just bought my 95 LS down in Longmont a month ago. It had 95K on it, I dont think that is very high. But yeah, you are correct with the LS's down in Denver. Every 98' that I test drove had over 120K and were in OK condition. But on the other hand I looked at a 93' with 55K and it was pristine, too bad I was looking for a Gen II the whole time I was there, otherwise I would have bought it.
Old 09-07-07, 10:29 PM
Klierslc
Rookie

With an LS, I'd go for newer and a few more miles. The 95+ don't have the wonky electronics of the 1st gen (climate control and dash lighting) and the drivetrain is nearly identical. Anything under 150k should last you until well after you tire of the car.
Old 09-07-07, 10:33 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

6500-7500 is moderate miles on a 95 >.>
Old 09-07-07, 10:50 PM
Jlacck
Driver

Originally Posted by 1995LS400
Hey bro, I just bought my 95 LS down in Longmont a month ago. It had 95K on it, I dont think that is very high. But yeah, you are correct with the LS's down in Denver. Every 98' that I test drove had over 120K and were in OK condition. But on the other hand I looked at a 93' with 55K and it was pristine, too bad I was looking for a Gen II the whole time I was there, otherwise I would have bought it.
Any particular reason why you were looking for a Gen II instead?
Old 09-07-07, 11:08 PM
1995LS400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlacck
Any particular reason why you were looking for a Gen II instead?
I guess because it at least came with 16's stock, and the interior/exterior was updated from the older looking design, not that the old design was "fugly." But the most important reason was the fact that a car that MSRP'd at $50K plus is extremely affordable right now. Ive always wanted a 400, I drove a KA7 Legend for 7 years prior and wanted an updated sedan.

Quick Reply: Newbie-seeking ways to update 1st Gen interior