LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

In an effort to improve gas mileage...

Old 12-29-07, 12:22 PM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I'd be exempt from the club, but I couldn't get away from 15.8 MPG this past fill-up.

My wife drives the car most of the time and she definitely has a light foot (sometimes too light!).

Man, I'd be happy with 17 MPG at this point.

I guess it comes with the territory?
Old 12-30-07, 01:47 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can also raise the front end of the car up with air suspension and then it lifts the car to increase gas mileage . I did this tonight and went from 11.9l/100km to 7.5l/100km by adding 15 lbs to the front shocks.
Old 12-30-07, 07:25 AM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skperformance
You can also raise the front end of the car up with air suspension and then it lifts the car to increase gas mileage . I did this tonight and went from 11.9l/100km to 7.5l/100km by adding 15 lbs to the front shocks.
Lifting the car decreases gas mileage by increasing your coefficient of drag. Why do you think the LX470 lowers itself at highway speeds?
Old 12-30-07, 12:44 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Learn the habits of "hyper-milers".

Try to come to a complete stop as few times as possible.
Old 12-30-07, 08:39 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sonyman
Lifting the car decreases gas mileage by increasing your coefficient of drag. Why do you think the LX470 lowers itself at highway speeds?
The LX is a brick on wheels. It also lowers itself because it creates a vortex and a vacuum under it causing it to slow down . I have the front elevated so the air lifts the car up as the rear is still lower.
Old 12-30-07, 11:43 PM
LS4forME
Driver School Candidate

I get 15-16 city and around 240-250 on a FULL tank of gas on my 90 ls. This is just city driving. I'm sure I can get around 18-20 on the hwy. I need to clean my throttle body..haven't done that for a while..But it all depends on how I drive for the week, at times I have a lead foot or a foot light as a feather.

A way of saving gas for me is driving the car right under where the engine is under load. You aren't going to get there very fast but you will save some gas. You can hear when the engine is being stressed so drive right under that boarder line and let the natural torque of the engine just pull the car. Also try not to use the breaks as much, use momentum!

Then again guys, you are driving a 4.0 V8, near 2 ton sedan that is 18 years old, with 230k, at least for me.

Last edited by LS4forME; 12-31-07 at 12:58 AM.
Old 12-31-07, 12:33 AM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

haha i dont even knoe what my gas mileage is but i just make sure i dont let up on the gas pedal . but so far i did cap, rotor, spark plugs ngk iridium, spark plug wire oem, new ecu, injen intake, muffler deletion, no spare tire, just did all my water pump, and etc. drives like new through tehehe i would change out all fluids like tranny, differential, power steering, power brake, and oil
Old 01-04-08, 10:13 PM
Dutch
Pole Position

last time i took my car on a hike i got between 400-425miles to the tank, but that was strictly a highway trip. where do you guys get your MPG #'s on the pre 95 cars? is that from a log and your personal calculations or do you have a guage on the car? b/c my car is loaded and mine doesnt have it(i think...)
Old 01-05-08, 01:14 PM
HaryGahtoe
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by skperformance
The LX is a brick on wheels. It also lowers itself because it creates a vortex and a vacuum under it causing it to slow down . I have the front elevated so the air lifts the car up as the rear is still lower.
If you dig the front end up look, its all good.
But Vortex's cannot occur anywhere except behind an object,
Last year the highest automotive level of lowering wind resistance ( AKA.. DRAG) Formula 1; Ferrari was caught cheating by lowering the underbelly of their car. Ferrari spends millions in wind tunnel testing. Ferrari wouldn't risk being fined for worsening their aerodynamics and adding drag.
Its simple physics. Just like airplane wings. If you can create a lower pressure underneath the car(lower it) it creates a higher pressure on the top side (meaning the air is travelling faster over the top)
If a plane wing is lowered its airspeeds increase.
If a wing is raised or lifted its causes drag, increasing the force (in this case gas) to keep it goin
SK, I respectfully don't buy the lifted thing but I dig your ride an appreciate how much of your own flavor it shows.
Old 01-05-08, 10:32 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

I don't like the look , i just did it for kicks . The mention of raising the front was meant more of a joke as most do not have air suspension and the ones that do rarely have a controller to allow the front up alone.

F1 racing lowered the bottom of the car to create vacuum so they could increase grip and G's in corners . It was not in response to fuel economy . It was a similar trick used in the 80's by a team with floating side skirts to allow the same aerodynamics .

By me having the front end on a slightly elevated plain it pushes the car up reducing it weight pressing on the tires which reduce the friction . Basically it causes the same effect as loosing 100 or so lbs . It will create a difference in the aerodynamics of my LS but the car is made well underneath that it flows well going under.

Being higher losses traction and going lower creates traction and reduces top speed by the forces of the air pushing up or down.
Old 02-17-08, 01:33 PM
Ls4hundred
Driver

I get 10 mpg, and I'm driving in the suburbs 80% of the time. I know city driving is stop-go-stop-go and is death for fuel economy, but I'm in the suburbs and I'm getting lower mpg than city dwellers lol. I plan to seafoam soon, but that won't give me drastic changes will it?
Old 02-17-08, 07:45 PM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

That's real low mpg. I do a combination of city and highway driving weekly and I routinely get 18 mpg. I'll let someone else weigh in regarding whether seafoam will help.
Old 02-17-08, 11:19 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Unless you spend 80% of your mileage on the highway (& drive fast!) aerodynamics does not belong in this conversation.

If you have AAA coverage take your spare out. That will save you more than aero drag coefficients ever could.
Old 02-18-08, 12:58 PM
93LSexy
Rookie

Originally Posted by black_LS
since 15.4mpg doesn't seem to good compared to the rest of you guys, I'll try the following.

1. Seafoam it - I've heard great things, why not try it?

2. Change the oil - 5w-30 - synthetic or no? I'm not sure what the PO used.

3. Change the spark plugs - NGK BKR-6EIX

4. Change the spark plug wires - NGK TE119

5. Air filter - K&N - Lexkost mod, if it's not too noisy for my tastes.

6. Change the fuel filter.

7. Distribution caps? - Worth it?

8. Clean the throttle body.

If that doesn't work...

9. Change the injectors.

10. Change the O2 sensors.

Tell me what you guys think. Any input is appreciated!

Try a weight reduction from our 4900lbs of gross weight!!!
Old 02-18-08, 01:07 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 93LSexy
Try a weight reduction from our 4900lbs of gross weight!!!
What the hell are you talking about?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: In an effort to improve gas mileage...