LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

After Timing Belt, Car Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-07, 07:04 AM
Lexushead
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After Timing Belt, Car Won't Start

I'm stumped. I followed Thuan, Lexus Owners Club Member 92Lex step by step manual on how to replaced the timing belt, water pump, rollers and tensioners. I also replace the fan bracket since it was the problem. I might as well do the timing belt replacement while I'm in there and 82k miles since the last timing belt replacement.
When I tried to start the car it won't start. It turns over but won't start. I tried 5-6 times without success. It seems like there's no igniton. Timing is correct. I triple and quardruple check the timing marks.
Areas of suspicions:
My rotors installation might be off 180 degrees.
Does anybody have a good picture of rotor alignment to the protrusion of the groove of the camshaft timing pulley?
I should've take a picture of my old ones.
I'll re-check the coils connections. This might be the problem as well.
Thanks for your input.

Upon further investigation I have sparks on #1 and #2. Engine still won't start. What else could it be?

Last edited by Lexushead; 07-17-07 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Further investigation
Old 07-23-07, 05:49 AM
Lexushead
Driver

For those who might have this problem. I got it Fixed: I installed both distributor rotors 180 degrees off.
Old 07-23-07, 11:31 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry no one was able to help you.. and thansk for updating us on what the problem was.
Old 07-23-07, 02:56 PM
akxx
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexushead
For those who might have this problem. I got it Fixed: I installed both distributor rotors 180 degrees off.
Serious kudos to you for tackling this beast yourself. And getting it working.
Old 08-27-07, 03:42 PM
l8back
Driver School Candidate

lexushead, can you explain in more detail how you fixed the problem! I have the same problem but i just replace the fan belt bracket only! did i move something to not make it start!
Old 08-27-07, 04:52 PM
turbosix
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by l8back
lexushead, can you explain in more detail how you fixed the problem! I have the same problem but i just replace the fan belt bracket only! did i move something to not make it start!
check for fuel
check for spark

then get back to us
Old 08-28-07, 05:49 AM
Lexushead
Driver

Sorry to answer with questions:
Does it crank? if yes, do you have sparks? Check this by pulling #1 and #2 spark plug wires out from the spark plugs (do one at a time) and point it (end of the wire) toward the valve cover. Have another person try to start. You should see whether you have sparks or not. Make sure your fingers are not close to the sparks area; the end of that wire. Lots of juice there. You can also have the spark plug attached to the wire and do the same thing to check for sparks. I'm just too lazy to unscrew the spark plug.
If you have sparks and no start check the camshaft sensors wires. Do continuity test to make sure you have good connection from one side to the other. You may have disconnect them and didn't completely connect them back. There are two of them. See those pictures in the timing belt procedure. You may also switched them when reconnecting. Re-check you spark plug wires at the distributor caps. They might not making contact. I don't like checking fuel. Don't like the smell, mess, and afraid of fire. Too much fire fighting in the NAVY.
Old 08-29-07, 12:13 AM
l8back
Driver School Candidate

Default thanks

Car turns but sounds like it makes a winding sound? I have not checked sparkand fuel! I just replace the fan bracket only! I own a 1993 ls400. I rememered a few hours back that i forgot to tighten a ground bolt next to the ac compressor area! going to play with it in the morning! thanks guys for get back to me on this question! the funny thing is that i was working on my other car and the next morning it broke down for someting else!!!!

anyways thanks!!!!