LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

cleaning throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-07, 07:12 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default cleaning throttle body

how would you go about to cleaning the throttle body on a 93 LS400 when using seafoam? i searched "cleaning throttle body" and i came up with nothing, much help is appreciated, thanks.
Old 06-13-07, 07:37 PM
jasonm
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine the lazy way. I took off the intake hose and sprayed carb cleaner inside with the throttle opened, then cleaned it out with a cloth/rag. Just kept spraying and wiping around untill it seemed clean. The car ran better.

I am assuming that you must spray the seafoam.
Old 06-13-07, 07:42 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

thanks jasonm for the info, does anyone by a chance have a picture of the "brake booster line"? i read on the seafoam website that you can pour it in here or the "P.C.V. valve".
Old 06-13-07, 07:52 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/EFI/throttlebody.html
Old 06-13-07, 07:56 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

yes i just looked at this tut and it doesnt help, cant pour the SF into it so i think i need to find the brake booster line. thanks though Suneet.
Old 06-13-07, 08:03 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
yes i just looked at this tut and it doesnt help, cant pour the SF into it so i think i need to find the brake booster line. thanks though Suneet.
You don't use seafoam to clean throttle body. Seafoam claims to clean the entire intake manifold, including the throttle body when you suck it in throught the brake booster or PCV hose, but in all honesty it doesn't do jack. I could see it being effective when used in crankcase, but intake manifold, no way. When I removed my throttle body, I couldn't clean all the build up by directly spraying carb cleaner, I had to scrape it off with screwdriver. So just remove your throttle body and give it good cleaning.

If you still wanna give seafoam a shot, here's what you do. Start your car, bring it to the operating temperature. Then have your friend keep the throttle at around 2000RPMs to keep the car from stalling, remove the PCV hose, and let it slowly suck in about half a cup of seafoam. Dont put the hose directly into the can, better off pour it in a cup, and then hold the hose about 1/2" above the fluid so it slowly sips it in. If you let it suck it in fast, you're risking hydrolocking your engine. By the way, don't use a plastic cup, seafoam might dissolve it.

Once all the fluid is sucked in, shut the engine off, and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. The start it back up, and drive it hard until it stops smocking. Then pour the remaining half can into your oil, and after you drive 100 miles on the oil, change it.

Last edited by Och; 06-13-07 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-13-07, 08:13 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
You don't use seafoam to clean throttle body. Seafoam claims to clean the entire intake manifold, including the throttle body when you suck it in throught the brake booster or PCV hose, but in all honesty it doesn't do jack. I could see it being effective when used in crankcase, but intake manifold, no way. When I removed my throttle body, I couldn't clean all the build up by directly spraying carb cleaner, I had to scrape it off with screwdriver. So just remove your throttle body and give it good cleaning.

If you still wanna give seafoam a shot, here's what you do. Start your car, bring it to the operating temperature. Then have your friend keep the throttle at around 2000RPMs to keep the car from stalling, remove the PCV hose, and let it slowly suck in about half a cup of seafoam. Dont put the hose directly into the can, better off pour it in a cup, and then hold the hose about 1/2" above the fluid so it slowly sips it in. If you let it suck it in fast, you're risking hydrolocking your engine. By the way, don't use a plastic cup, seafoam might dissolve it.

Once all the fluid is sucked in, shut the engine off, and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. The start it back up, and drive it hard until it stops smocking. Then pour the remaining half can into your oil, and after you drive 100 miles on the oil, change it.

I dunno about that man. Maybe becuase my car was just in such bad shape, but when I used seafoam through my PCV valve, I noticed an immediate and huge change in response, and speed.

I then did a TB cleaning by hand, and that helped quite a bit too. The final kicker was getting all my spark plugs and wires replaced, along with caps, rotors, and both ignition coils.. and the car rides better than ever.
Old 06-13-07, 08:19 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

i need to find where the "brake booster line" is and where the "P.C.V. valve" is. ill probably just remove the TB and clean it then. thanks for the info but i just need a picture on where the brake boost line is and P.C.V. valve.
Old 06-13-07, 11:18 PM
jasonm
Lead Lap

Bro, the brake booster is the big round thing against the firewall on the driver's side. The the hose is between 9 o'clock and 12 o'clock and has a metal clamp on it the hose is going towards the throttle body.
Old 06-14-07, 12:32 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

That is where your PCV hose plugs into. Use that, its the easiest.

Pic taken from a LexLS tutorial.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/emission/pcv_valve.html

Man, if that site ever goes down... I dunno what I'll do!
Old 06-14-07, 08:59 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Um, I would be careful following the Lexls tutorial on cleaning the intake with a flat screwdriver. Getting any carbon deposits and/or aluminum shavings into the combustion chamber would be like running your car without an air filter through the desert on a windy day. You can possibly damage your piston rings. No thanks.

Comments? Could I be wrong about this?????
Old 06-14-07, 09:44 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

looks like he only cleaned the outer portion of the intake part. and thanks for that pic Suneet.
Old 06-14-07, 10:45 PM
jasonm
Lead Lap

Ya, I was wondering why a screwdriver was used too. Ouch.
Old 06-14-07, 11:12 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnutt
Um, I would be careful following the Lexls tutorial on cleaning the intake with a flat screwdriver. Getting any carbon deposits and/or aluminum shavings into the combustion chamber would be like running your car without an air filter through the desert on a windy day. You can possibly damage your piston rings. No thanks.

Comments? Could I be wrong about this?????
you're forgetting that you have the throttle body itself OFF the car when u clean it, and are supposed to keep the inlet to the manifold plugged with a rag to prevent stuff from getting into it while the hood is closed as you clean the throttle body.
also, when ur cleaning the manifold itself, u want to use a rag soaked in throttle body cleaner before going at it with the screwdriver. then use it to pull the carbon TOWARDS you, out of the manifold, not pushing it further in.

also, your sandy day analogy is inaccurate, the black carbon in the intake manifold will burn off completely inside the combustion chamber (and any tiny tiny shavings of aluminum wont hurt anything), unlike sand, which wont burn in the combustion chamber and in adequate quantity will likely scrape up the cylinder liner a fair amount, causing blow-by.

Oh, and when i did the TB cleaning on my '95 LS, the car ran perfectly until it was killed

and steel wool (of a relatively fine grade, or a scrubbing/green pad) works as well as a screwdriver when u soak both the throttle butterfly and the sponge/pad in TB cleaner
Old 06-15-07, 01:06 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Step 11 of the tutorial:

Clean up the air intake chamber as much as you can. I scraped off as much as I could and then used the STP cleaner. When it was clean I replaced the throttle body gasket (part # 22271-50010) with a new one.

I believed I referred to the intake also, not the TB.

Thanks for clearing up that tiny particles of aluminum will NOT hurt my engine