LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How to make a 98-00 LS400 more sportier?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-07, 01:41 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to make a 98-00 LS400 more sporty?

I was wondering if you guys had any advice on making a 98-00 LS400 a bit more sporty so it could handle better. Would a wider tire help? Should I even consider messing around with the suspension?

I really want to keep my 2000 LS stock as much as possible, but I want to make it handle corners and turns better than it currently does.

Any recommendations in this area would be appreciated.

Last edited by LetMeShowU; 06-09-07 at 03:57 PM. Reason: grammar error ;)
Old 06-09-07, 02:56 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, if you want an improvement in handling without altering the ride too much, I suggest a set of bigger rims, 17" to be exact, and a set of lower profile tires. One thing to keep in mind, most low profile tires are summer rated, and will provide great traction on dry pavement, and some of these tires will also provide great traction in rain, considerably better than all season tires, but none of these tires are suited for snow and ice. Also, they wear out much faster, and are much noisier.

All in all, its quite an investment, and I would rather invest in a set of beefier sway bars. You wont feel any changes in the ride quality 95% of time, but you will have a lot less body roll and better handling.
Old 06-09-07, 03:04 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LetMeShowU
I really want to keep as much of my 2000 LS stock as much as possible, but I want to make it handle corners and turns better than it currently does.
A-take grammar lessons
B-the above quoted material is an oxymoron
C-buy a set of stiff lowering springs (Eibach or H&R)
D-Buy a set of GOOD shocks (Bilstein seem to be Best for post 95 cars)
E-Install C and D
F-buy Coilovers (JIC or Tein) in place of C and D. repeat step E with parts from F
G-buy 18in.-20in. wheels (no heavy chrome POS' please, you want it to handle)
H-buy appropriately sized tires (good ones)
I-install G+H
J-enjoy newer, stiffer, sportier car.
Old 06-09-07, 03:45 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
A-take grammar lessons
B-the above quoted material is an oxymoron
Ugh, so much for proof-reading. (let me fix that)

C-buy a set of stiff lowering springs (Eibach or H&R)
D-Buy a set of GOOD shocks (Bilstein seem to be Best for post 95 cars)
E-Install C and D
F-buy Coilovers (JIC or Tein) in place of C and D. repeat step E with parts from F
G-buy 18in.-20in. wheels (no heavy chrome POS' please, you want it to handle)
H-buy appropriately sized tires (good ones)
I-install G+H
J-enjoy newer, stiffer, sportier car.
This all seems like it would do the trick, but I don't really want to compromise the smoothness of the ride. I really just want it to handle corners better. There's this parkway that I drive on quite frequently that is full of twists and turns and it's a almost a challenge sometimes to keep my LS in the lane.

Would just an upgrade in tires/wheels do the trick without making the ride too harsh? I'm also not looking to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on this. Would 18inch wheels/wider tires help in this regard or just improve road feel?
Old 06-09-07, 03:47 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Och
Well, if you want an improvement in handling without altering the ride too much, I suggest a set of bigger rims, 17" to be exact, and a set of lower profile tires. One thing to keep in mind, most low profile tires are summer rated, and will provide great traction on dry pavement, and some of these tires will also provide great traction in rain, considerably better than all season tires, but none of these tires are suited for snow and ice. Also, they wear out much faster, and are much noisier.

All in all, its quite an investment, and I would rather invest in a set of beefier sway bars. You wont feel any changes in the ride quality 95% of time, but you will have a lot less body roll and better handling.
How much would sway bars cost and is it a big job to replace them? Also, since the LS comes standard with 16" wheels, would 17's really make much of a difference? Cosmetically, 18's seem to look much better (at least in my opinion), but I'm wondering if that would completely change the smoothness of the ride.
Old 06-09-07, 05:09 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

18s will slightly imrpove cornering but moreso the road and steering feel. you could do the KYB shocks with the Tanabe springs and still see an improvement in cornering with minimal ride quality loss.
Old 06-09-07, 05:17 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LetMeShowU
How much would sway bars cost and is it a big job to replace them? Also, since the LS comes standard with 16" wheels, would 17's really make much of a difference? Cosmetically, 18's seem to look much better (at least in my opinion), but I'm wondering if that would completely change the smoothness of the ride.
Well, TRD swaybars should run you around $500 alltogether, and they are very easy to install. The handling improvement should be pretty decent. As far as tires go, yes, going from 16 to 17 is quite a bit of difference, and IMO anything over 17" is more for show than handling. If you dont want to mess too much with the car, tires and sway bars are your best upgrades, and I think sway bars are better, because they don't affect the ride quality for the most part.
Old 06-09-07, 05:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

18s will slightly imrpove cornering but moreso the road and steering feel. you could do the KYB shocks with the Tanabe springs and still see an improvement in cornering with minimal ride quality loss.
I don't exactly agree with 18's improving steering feel, they will require very low profile tires, and the car will ride very harsh, and all the bumps and vibrations will be felt in the steering wheel, compromising the actual steering feel.
Old 06-09-07, 06:02 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Try the 18'ss from the '04+. They look good, and are built well.
Old 06-09-07, 08:33 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Och
Well, TRD swaybars should run you around $500 alltogether, and they are very easy to install. The handling improvement should be pretty decent. As far as tires go, yes, going from 16 to 17 is quite a bit of difference, and IMO anything over 17" is more for show than handling. If you dont want to mess too much with the car, tires and sway bars are your best upgrades, and I think sway bars are better, because they don't affect the ride quality for the most part.
when did TRD make sway bars for any year LS400?

and ive put my 18"s on my dad's LS with its completely stock susp.

even on *****ty tires, it was smooth as ever
Old 06-10-07, 09:17 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

There are several interesting threads on a U.K. forum about the "Dynamic Handling Pack" (a.k.a. DHP) option on the U.K. 98-99 LS400s. Here is one: http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/for...205&hl=Dynamic

The specific specs were provided by forum member CDM:
"Spring rate + 10% only, Height -10mm all round, rear anti roll bar + 1mm to aid turn in. Tyres Pirelli P Zero 245/50x17 Jaguar spec( XK8?).
No change to dampers."

Even though the DHP package was carefully engineered, opinions were divided. Some thought that DHP provided a reasonable balance between handling and comfort and others that DHP made the LS400 ride way too harsh.

When I checked a few years back, all the components of the DHP package where still available as replacement parts from U.K. Lexus dealers. 245/50-17 is a fairly rare tire size these days.
Old 06-10-07, 01:13 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

how much do u recall them selling the rear sway and the springs for?

now we needa find a place that wants to import stuff from europe x.x
Old 06-10-07, 03:25 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

how much do u recall them selling the rear sway and the springs for?
now we needa find a place that wants to import stuff from europe x.x
I did not have to go through an importer. I just called a London Lexus dealer and put it on a credit card. Parts normally arrive by air freight in 2 days. I did, however, visit the parts department in person before I placed the first order by phone.

If you order from a U.K. dealer, don't expect the dealer to price the parts in U.S. dollars. Your credit card company will take care of the conversion. Keep your calculator handy so you realize how much you are paying!

The U.S. dollar has been incredibly low against the British pound the past five or six years so buying the DHP parts might get quite expensive. Although one would think that the DHP parts would fit a U.S. spec LS400, it is impossible to guarantee.

As a U.K. business associate and I quickly found when we tried to supply Lexus parts for each other's LS cars, there are a lot more differences between U.S. and U.K. cars beside the steering wheel location.
Old 06-10-07, 05:11 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Kansas
I did not have to go through an importer. I just called a London Lexus dealer and put it on a credit card. Parts normally arrive by air freight in 2 days. I did, however, visit the parts department in person before I placed the first order by phone.

If you order from a U.K. dealer, don't expect the dealer to price the parts in U.S. dollars. Your credit card company will take care of the conversion. Keep your calculator handy so you realize how much you are paying!

The U.S. dollar has been incredibly low against the British pound the past five or six years so buying the DHP parts might get quite expensive. Although one would think that the DHP parts would fit a U.S. spec LS400, it is impossible to guarantee.

As a U.K. business associate and I quickly found when we tried to supply Lexus parts for each other's LS cars, there are a lot more differences between U.S. and U.K. cars beside the steering wheel location.
doh

all i really want is the upsized rear sway. if its too expensive+questionable on fitment then il prolly hold off and juss buy an addco.
Old 06-20-07, 10:42 AM
oslo
Driver School Candidate

Some simple and inexpensive things I have done for my '98 LS:

-Tanabe strut tower bar designed for Supra TT (you must remove the engine cover for proper fit) $95 shipped

-Energy polyurethane sway bar and end link bushings. I've installed the front bushings so far. The closest size I could find was .4mm smaller than stock, but so far so good. I will have to order the rear size, as I could not find what I needed at autozone, but they do have an exact size match available. I will test out the end link bushings today/tomorrow, depending on weather.
$25 for rear sway bar bushings, same for front
$5 for grease
$15 for rear end link bushings (assuming they are the right ones), again same for front

-2 piece rear suspension link kit by Carson-Tuned. I'm pretty sure the group buy for $99 shipped is still going on. This kit is arriving today in the mail and I am anxious to install. I do hope the weather clears.

I will post an update on these items as I get them all installed, but if you want something simple to start with, go for the strut tower bar. Easy to install and instantly noticeable handling gains. Lemme know if you have any questions.

Quick Reply: How to make a 98-00 LS400 more sportier?