LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

91 LS400 with veers to right..........

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-07, 11:51 AM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Default 91 LS400 with veers to right..........

Noticed when I bought my car 3 months ago that it veered to the right.

Brand new tires on it, had an alignment right away. Drove straight for 2 days, then back to same problem, veers to the right. I have to hold the steering wheel a few degrees to the left to make the car go straight.

Took it back again a few days ago for another alignment thinking the first alignment shop didn't do a very good job. Worked about a day then back to veering.

Just had power steering pump put in. Still losing p/s fluid - probably idle control valve on that, rack is not leaking, wanted you guys to know everything.

Also, the tires wear just fine, even with this veering problem.

Not sure what to do next.
Old 05-07-07, 04:52 PM
richonenz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before you start chasing your tail round and round it might be a good idea to check out that the front end is straight , you will also need to look at the rear end as well , so often a problem in/with the front is actually generated from the rear , when you had your wheel alignment did they do the rear as well ?
Also have a close look at your bottom control arm bushes , I would think that your lower ball joints would be OK as if they weren't then the wheel alignment guys should have told you and not done the alignment .
If one of your bottom control arm bushes is shot it can be hard to see , the wheel alignment will make it right but then after a day or two it will go out again , also generally if the front end has had a smack and is bent , then you can't get it the wheel alignment right so you would know .
Look hard and close !!
Old 05-07-07, 06:06 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, since you're saying that alignment works for about a day, it means that probably something is worn out in the suspension. Check out your front suspension, start with steering rack and tie rods, ball joints, knuckles, control arms. Check if your brake calipers are sticking, and check if your wheel bearing are working well, if one of them is worn out and hard to turn, the car will pull to the opposite side. Obviously check the tire pressure and wear as well.

Also, when you say you have to hold the steering wheel a few degrees to the left, is that because its actually pulling to the right? Lets say if you turn the wheel a few degrees to the left and let go of it, will the car pull to the right or going to continue going straight? If it keeps going straight, then its something loose in the steering rack, have your alignment shop double check it. But it's not a major reason for concern, because if it goes straight than your wheel alignment is good and you will get even tire wear.
Old 05-08-07, 03:00 AM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Originally Posted by richonenz
Before you start chasing your tail round and round it might be a good idea to check out that the front end is straight , you will also need to look at the rear end as well , so often a problem in/with the front is actually generated from the rear , when you had your wheel alignment did they do the rear as well ?
Also have a close look at your bottom control arm bushes , I would think that your lower ball joints would be OK as if they weren't then the wheel alignment guys should have told you and not done the alignment .
If one of your bottom control arm bushes is shot it can be hard to see , the wheel alignment will make it right but then after a day or two it will go out again , also generally if the front end has had a smack and is bent , then you can't get it the wheel alignment right so you would know .
Look hard and close !!
They said they would do a 4 wheel alignment for $80. I just looked at the paperwork it says 2 wheel alignment.

thanks for your help.
Old 05-08-07, 03:04 AM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Och
Well, since you're saying that alignment works for about a day, it means that probably something is worn out in the suspension. Check out your front suspension, start with steering rack and tie rods, ball joints, knuckles, control arms. Check if your brake calipers are sticking, and check if your wheel bearing are working well, if one of them is worn out and hard to turn, the car will pull to the opposite side. Obviously check the tire pressure and wear as well.

Also, when you say you have to hold the steering wheel a few degrees to the left, is that because its actually pulling to the right? Lets say if you turn the wheel a few degrees to the left and let go of it, will the car pull to the right or going to continue going straight? If it keeps going straight, then its something loose in the steering rack, have your alignment shop double check it. But it's not a major reason for concern, because if it goes straight than your wheel alignment is good and you will get even tire wear.
It is pulling to the right. If I let the steering wheel go it will veer to the right. Even if I hold the steering wheel a few degrees to the left and let go of the steering wheel, the car will veer to the right. It's not awful driving but it does feel like a little work to keep the car straight.

On a side note, the reason I got a new p/s pump was because the steering felt tight and not very easy to steer. After the new p/s pump was installed, it made only a minor difference.