LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

how to run fogs with after market hid's

Old 04-18-07, 04:06 PM
runumhard
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to run fogs with after market hid's

Hi.. I have a 90 LS400 and I just put hid's in my car.... but now the fog lights don't work... does anyone know how to bypass the problem.... or how to hook up a switch so I can just run the fogs off of the switch???? anyone can help me out please..........
Old 05-04-07, 10:17 PM
johnksss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by runumhard
Hi.. I have a 90 LS400 and I just put hid's in my car.... but now the fog lights don't work... does anyone know how to bypass the problem.... or how to hook up a switch so I can just run the fogs off of the switch???? anyone can help me out please..........
I'm working on that very same problem now. Hopefully i'll have a valid answer tomorrow. I know that if you connect a regular bulb to one side, then everything works fine, but connect two hid's and none of it works right. The headlights stay on highbeam, unless you disconnect the highbeam wires. I have the xenon hi/lo 9004-2 bulbs.
Old 05-05-07, 12:47 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like you need to add a resistor as a relay may be controlling the flow of power across the circuit.
Old 05-05-07, 12:50 PM
johnksss
Driver School Candidate

resistor, really?

where would that fit in at on a real hid kit???
Old 05-05-07, 01:33 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do you have the dual hi low kit or just a single low beam hid? if you are on a single low beam, take the thick red wire with yellow stripe and splice it into the wire you are using for the positive feed to your hid ballast. now it will work like factory.
just don't hit your high beams or your headlight fuses will blow!
Old 05-05-07, 01:37 PM
johnksss
Driver School Candidate

bixenon hi/lo made by xentec.
light is a 9004-3
Old 05-05-07, 01:50 PM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

I was sent this from another CL member when I had a 93 LS400 with hi/lo hid's. The same thing happened to me where the fogs stopped working after the hid's were installed. I never tried this mod, but maybe it'll help you.

http://www.mobilehid.com/h4.htm
Old 05-05-07, 01:53 PM
ISDreams
Lead Lap

guys i own an is300 i know there not the same but i had this problem also my fogs worked fine till i aqdded HIDs then nothing i put a regular bulb on my passenger side and it worked when i tried the drivers side i noticed the previous owner had one of those cheap replacement connectors and it looked beat so i decided to change it i brought some supposedly higher strengh connector and respliced it and conected the HID my driver side worked but not passenger so i spliced the passenger side also and they both turned on
that might be the problem wit u hope this helps
Old 05-05-07, 01:59 PM
johnksss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KilaWombat
I was sent this from another CL member when I had a 93 LS400 with hi/lo hid's. The same thing happened to me where the fogs stopped working after the hid's were installed. I never tried this mod, but maybe it'll help you.

http://www.mobilehid.com/h4.htm

thanks. will check this out in a few minutes.
Old 05-05-07, 02:01 PM
johnksss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ISDreams
guys i own an is300 i know there not the same but i had this problem also my fogs worked fine till i aqdded HIDs then nothing i put a regular bulb on my passenger side and it worked when i tried the drivers side i noticed the previous owner had one of those cheap replacement connectors and it looked beat so i decided to change it i brought some supposedly higher strengh connector and respliced it and conected the HID my driver side worked but not passenger so i spliced the passenger side also and they both turned on
that might be the problem wit u hope this helps

thanks.

my connectors are fine, but it seems to be how the hid's are wired from a halogen bulb.... but this is just a guess....
Old 05-05-07, 02:14 PM
johnksss
Driver School Candidate

i was looking at that h4 connection diagram, but it looks like it's for installing two seperate bulbs. is this the case? mine is a single bulb.....
Old 05-05-07, 04:28 PM
johnksss
Driver School Candidate

referring to the h4 setup....

ok, i just ran through quite a few different things in connecting these wires, but to no avail.....

even tried changing the kit wires around.... still nothing. out of about 15 different things i tried, only one blew my temp fuse wire.

question: if i we're to add a second kit for the fog lights, would this fix the problem? this was what i had planned to do anyway, but now i'm leary as to would the foglights even work with a second kit..... your thoughts on the matter....
Old 05-06-07, 06:26 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by johnksss
referring to the h4 setup....

ok, i just ran through quite a few different things in connecting these wires, but to no avail.....

even tried changing the kit wires around.... still nothing. out of about 15 different things i tried, only one blew my temp fuse wire.

question: if i we're to add a second kit for the fog lights, would this fix the problem? this was what i had planned to do anyway, but now i'm leary as to would the foglights even work with a second kit..... your thoughts on the matter....
in case you missed it the first time:

if you are on a single low beam kit, take the thick red wire with yellow stripe and splice it into the wire you are using for the positive feed to your hid ballast. now it will work like factory.

adding another kit for the fosgs would work, but you still need the trigger wire which works with your switch, which is the one i mentioned above.
Old 05-06-07, 08:15 AM
vsynergy
Driver

Not really sure how a 9004 setup would work. With this setup, all you do is plug up the harnesses and you're good to go. Think it's still possible to activate the fogs this way?
Old 05-06-07, 09:00 AM
johnksss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 19psi
in case you missed it the first time:

if you are on a single low beam kit, take the thick red wire with yellow stripe and splice it into the wire you are using for the positive feed to your hid ballast. now it will work like factory.

adding another kit for the fosgs would work, but you still need the trigger wire which works with your switch, which is the one i mentioned above.
Yesterday, 03:37 PM #6
johnksss
Driver School Candidate

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bixenon hi/lo made by xentec.
light is a 9004-3

may 5th 2007
but will give it a try today, even though my setup is a high/low beam

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how to run fogs with after market hid's