LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

92 LS400 - drivers side view mirror vibrates

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-07, 11:18 AM
jonny2k
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 92 LS400 - drivers side view mirror vibrates

Hello all!

Well, it appears my first posting in these forums is for my father's 1992 LS400 (I just purchased my first Lexus, a 1998 GS300). We recently replaced the infamous Heater Control panel (which was surprisingly easy, btw) and he mentioned to me how his driver's side view mirror vibrates while driving.

I thought it would be an easy fix....just tighten down the two screws under the mirror...but they were already very tight, though I couldn't check the inner screw b/c it's too close to the body. I could easily wiggle the mirror without much effort at all, so I wanted to remove the mirror altogether and see if there was something else going on.

I found the two large screws behind the weatherstripping on the inner door frame thinking the removal of these would allow the mirror to separate from the door, but after removing the screws the mirror still remained tightly affixed to the door.

So I have two questions:
1) Is the loose/vibrating mirror a common problem with these cars, and
2) How the heck to you remove the side view mirror w/o completely disassembling the door panel?

I have used the search function and haven't found the answer yet. BTW, this car has never been in an accident and has over 280k miles (and still looks like it just rolled out of the showroom!! )

thanks in advance for any help/suggestions you guys may have!!

~jonny
Old 04-16-07, 01:53 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The only way you are going to get BOTH of the screws under the mirros is to use an offset screwdriver(phillips head). This screwdriver looks like a piece of metal with a 90 degree bend at both ends with a phillips/standard head. This is the only way to get to both of the to make sure that the mirror is securely attatched to the base. It WILL clear to get to the sccrew that is closest to the body as well. Is the glass itself loose? I took mine apart when I installed my turn sig mirror covers and found that the glass itself just pops in and out. You may have a broken plastic tab on the back of the mirror glass itself. It is not hard to remove, just be careful not to crack the glass. Like I said, the glass itself will just snap in or pop off with a little effort,, just be careful when doing so.
Old 04-16-07, 05:17 PM
jonny2k
Pole Position

Thanks for chiming in!

Actually the whole mirror housing is loose, yet the screws seem tight....at least the outer one does. I can actually move the housing around pretty easily, but it's not like it's barely hanging on. I'll try and find one of those screwdrivers you were referring to and see if that inner screw is loose.

Other than that, does anyone have any info on how to remove the mirror housing from the door?
Old 04-16-07, 06:09 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

u have to take the interior A-arm trim off, big PITA.
Old 04-17-07, 02:08 PM
jonny2k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
u have to take the interior A-arm trim off, big PITA.
dangit.....not the answer I was hoping for, but kinda new it was coming. Is there a write up somewhere for removing the mirror?? I've searched the archives and haven't found one yet...