LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Fixed my moaning P/S noise!

Old 04-11-07, 06:13 PM
1996LS400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed my moaning P/S noise!

I finally fixed my embarrassing power steering moan myself! This was the first real job I have tackled on my own and I must say it is very gratifying to do it yourself. I would have never known where to start if it wasn't for this forum and it's members and would have spent god knows how much to fix it.

I followed the p/s flush tutorial from lexls.com which was awesome:
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/steering/psflush.html

Great pictures and very easy to follow. Flushed until it ran bright red and replenished with Mobil 1 ATF. The old fluid was blacker than the blackest oil.

After the flush I removed the solenoid with a pair of vice grips in about 2 minutes. I couldn't even tell there were screens there. It was completely clogged with deposits and crap. I blasted them with carb cleaner and scrubbed lighlly with a soft toothbrush until they looked new. Replaced and topped off fluids. Started her up for 5 seconds and checked and topped off several times. Turned the wheel clock to clock several times. Now I can't even here a whisper from the p/s!

Thanks a bunch to lexls.com and the forum members here, you saved me some serious coin!

Here's a picture comparison of the two fluids, the black crap on the right was the old fluid and the left is the Mobil 1.

Old 04-11-07, 06:42 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1996LS400

Congrats!

Looks like a good cup of coffee...
Old 04-25-07, 10:08 PM
mbwtrpolo
Driver School Candidate

Congrats on the fluid flush, I did mine a month or so ago and it did make a big difference. Where is the solenoid at, I'd like to clean the screens like you did. Thanks!
Old 04-25-07, 10:41 PM
1996LS400
Driver

Originally Posted by mbwtrpolo
Congrats on the fluid flush, I did mine a month or so ago and it did make a big difference. Where is the solenoid at, I'd like to clean the screens like you did. Thanks!
It's hard to explain, but on my 96 I reached it by crawling under the drivers side door close to the wheel. When you look up it's a long round cylinder with 2 wires coming off it. Try doing a search, I spent a lot of time before I knew where to look, but don't remember where I found the info.

Here's a pic I found off this site. The cylinder is the solenoid, and it's pictured already unscrewed.

Last edited by 1996LS400; 04-25-07 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-26-07, 02:49 PM
akxx
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on the fix--you may also have prevented a PS leak onto the alternator due to high system pressures due to clogged filters.

Good job!
Old 04-26-07, 03:29 PM
1996LS400
Driver

Originally Posted by akxx
Congrats on the fix--you may also have prevented a PS leak onto the alternator due to high system pressures due to clogged filters.

Good job!
THANKS! That's the first thing I thought of when I first heard it moaning... my alternator!!!!!!!
Old 04-26-07, 03:50 PM
steph
Rookie

i cant seem to get my solenoid off. its really tight. any pointers?
Old 04-26-07, 05:38 PM
1996LS400
Driver

There is a very thin different color nut on top of the cylinder. Some take a chisel and hammer and hit it to bust it loose. I used a large set of vice grips to turn it. Once you bust it loose it will turn by hand. Remember righty tighty, left loosy.
Old 04-28-07, 11:11 PM
SW07ES
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steph
I'm stuck too because no one has ever explained where to pound on the solenoid with a chisel in order to loosen it http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/4af/ps.jpg And no one has ever posted a picture of the type and size of the chisel or vice grip they used, where they placed the chisel or vice grip on the solenoid and the direction they turned the vice grip to loosen it. Massive disappointment and fustration.
Old 04-29-07, 12:43 AM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW07ES
I'm stuck too because no one has ever explained where to pound on the solenoid with a chisel in order to loosen it http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/4af/ps.jpg And no one has ever posted a picture of the type and size of the chisel or vice grip they used, where they placed the chisel or vice grip on the solenoid and the direction they turned the vice grip to loosen it. Massive disappointment and fustration.
Good point!! You have to hit the red arrow. I tried using a big flat head screw driver, but it didn't do the trick. Didn't think about a vice grip, but oh well. I guess I'll work on it this weekend. good luck dude!
Old 04-30-07, 11:24 AM
1996LS400
Driver

Originally Posted by SW07ES
Get a large pair of vice grips and lock it on the nut shown in the pic below and turn it counter-clockwise. Disconnect the wiring harness to the solenoid first so you won't twist your wires all up. It won't take much turning with the vice grips to break it free. Once you do, you can turn it the rest of the way by hand.

If you still don't know what size vice grips to use go under your car and look at the nut, you should be able to figure out.

Last edited by 1996LS400; 05-01-07 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-02-07, 12:49 AM
SW07ES
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are these the correct loosening and tightening directions?
Attached Thumbnails Fixed my moaning P/S noise!-soleno.jpg  
Old 05-02-07, 04:09 AM
Gunnut
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

turn it counter clockwise. You have it backwards.
No offense, but if you don't know which way to turn a nut to loosen it, you really ought not to work on your car. You could easily cause some serious problems.
Old 05-02-07, 09:51 AM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

lefty loosey, righty tightey...
I know its lame but i forget sometimes.
Old 05-02-07, 01:48 PM
steph
Rookie

i got my solenoid off finally taking the wheel off made it easier, cleaned the nasty screen with some WD40 and a toothbrush, but my steering is only 20% better than it was. I have a spare steering computer, we'll see how that works.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fixed my moaning P/S noise!