LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1995 Lexus LS 400 - Loud Squealing... Engine Area

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-07, 02:06 PM
Blaizze
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Lexus LS 400 - Loud Squealing... Engine Area

Alrite, I purchased a used 1995 Lexus LS 400 a few weeks back which had been serviced at the dealership regularly since it was purchased....

183,000 Kms

Timing belt Replaced at 128, 000 Kms.

Ive noticed when I take my foot off the gas sometimes I get the "Off throttle shock" and sometimes my car shudders...

Today I was in a drivethru and could hear a squealing sound coming from the engine area... I pulled over after and tried to listen but couldn't hear it too loud anymore..

Well about 20 minutes down the road later, I was stopped at a red light at an intersection and all of a sudden the squealing began, EXTREMELY LOUD... and scared the heck out of me...

It was so loud, I was going to turn the car off, but I put it into park and the noise stopped.. then I drove another 5-10 minutes to work without a problem

Any ideas on what this could be.. I have to take it to work Monday and cannot get into the dealership until Tuesday..

Thanks for any help,..
Old 03-25-07, 03:06 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

check accessory belt, prolly a dead pulley or just some water on the belt.

replace rear transmission mount to get rid of the "off throttle shock" as you call it and the shudder.
Old 03-25-07, 03:21 PM
CptnTonus
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like it's probably a loose serpentine belt. Have the belt re-tensioned, make sure the belt is in good condition. The actual serpentine belt tensioner could have gone bad as well.
Old 03-25-07, 04:02 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

If it turns out to be the serpentine belt, you might as well change it to the Goodyear Gatorback belt. Cost about the same as OEM, if not $10 more, but the design is so much better. It's quieter and will resist cracking. I changed it on my car and the noise difference was audible. Then again, my belt was sort of squeaking from before.
Old 03-26-07, 12:24 PM
Blaizze
Driver School Candidate

Ok appreciate the replies... I will have this checked out immediately.

Is it safe to drive for the time being? As in... today / tomorrow?

Thanks
Old 03-26-07, 04:06 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

you should just pop your hood and take a look at the belt
Old 03-26-07, 09:17 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Since i had my belt changed i have also had a cold start up squeal.
I changed the serpentine idler which is one bolt and easy to do , i also have the serp tensioner but it may be my alternator or PS bearings . I will wait until i flush the PS fluid to narrow it down . My idler did need to be changed though.
Old 03-27-07, 05:38 PM
Blaizze
Driver School Candidate

Well the belt looks fine right now... I didn't hear anything today when I went to work and back..

Have an appointment booked with Lexus on Thursday
Old 03-30-07, 05:31 PM
Blaizze
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSteg
If it turns out to be the serpentine belt, you might as well change it to the Goodyear Gatorback belt. Cost about the same as OEM, if not $10 more, but the design is so much better. It's quieter and will resist cracking. I changed it on my car and the noise difference was audible. Then again, my belt was sort of squeaking from before.
Well I had the 150 safety inspection done at Lexus today... the loud noise is the serpentine belt...

Should I be switching it to the Goodyear belt.... $160.00 to repair the belt (Canadian) at the dealership.

Thanks for the advice
Old 03-30-07, 08:10 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

buy a belt at your local autoparts store and go here
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/maint...drivebelt.html

takes <15 mins.
<10 if you know your way around the engine bay.
Old 03-30-07, 10:57 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Or if you are in the GTA let me know the belt should be $50 and it takes a few minutes to change.
Old 04-02-07, 10:05 AM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't screw around with Gatorback belts, personally. I'd get an OEM belt. No need to try to second guess the hundreds of millions of dollars that went into the R&D of this car.
Old 04-02-07, 10:17 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

For a serpentine belt going oem or aftermarket is not an issue. I use everything oem but a serp belt is not like an timing belt for reliabilities sake.

Even Lexus know they are not perfect in every design which is why they evolve and change models to improve them. It is like saying they put "Toyota" oil in the car new so i would never buy anything else. Dealers will sell you OEM branded oil for 4X times the price or something else which is just as good. My preference is motul which exceeds any other engine oil i have ever used.
Old 04-04-07, 08:06 AM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Serpentine belts are a little more specialized than motor oil, IMHO. Other belt companies try to make "one-size-fits-all" belts that'll fit multiple vehicles. For example, the Goodyear Gatorback I bought for my Supra is also listed to fit some old 1.6L Mopar. It said so on the box it came in! Also you have to consider the exact engineering tolerances of the grooves in the pulley, and the chemical composition of the material in the belt - from Toyota, it's been engineered to endure the heat ranges that the Lexus goes through.

You could argue that Goodyear has perfected upon the standard belt design and knows more about belts now than Toyota did in the 1990s.

Motor oil is a totally different matter. I'll play around with motor oil but not transmission fluid.
Old 04-04-07, 10:59 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

I agree with tranny fluid as i also would never use anything else but only sticking to a OEM serp belt is overboard. If i could get an upgraded Kevlar t-belt like VW i would in a heartbeat, want to bet that lasts 4-5 times longer than a normal petroleum based belt?

Toyota does the same thing with there parts bin and reuses the parts for as many cars as possible that is just good business. A belts duty is to keep tension to transfer friction and resist breaking caused by friction.

Now what is the harm to using a non OEM belt ,it breaks faster or makes more noise. If it breaks what damage can be done?
Nothing , it breaks you replace it with your old belt in your trunk with no tools or time. You would notice the noise before it breaks.

So if you weight the pros and cons of every part you can make a proper decision on which to use. As using a blanket statement of OEM only just does not hold much weight with me for readily available parts that are viewed as upgrades.
Just like there are better tires than what Lexus choose ,there is also better belts.

Quick Reply: 1995 Lexus LS 400 - Loud Squealing... Engine Area