LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

My New Exhaust System With An X Pipe, Removed everything but the rear Lsportline muff

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-07, 10:01 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool My New Exhaust System With An X Pipe, Removed everything but the rear Lsportline muff

Well at first i though this was the stupidest thing i could ever do to my baby. After a few days of bedding it down with carbon it has become beautifully quiet except under load. Basically i had a shop remove everything from the cats including the flanges on them to replace it with new piping to replace the restrictive bends under the cats on the engine. It goes into a magnaflow xpipe and then to my 2 L-Sportline exhausts. All piping is made of stainless steel to last a lifetime just like my LS. I did not add any resonators which i thought i needed but not yet at least. Also moved the rear mufflers further back to stick out of the bumper by 1/2 and inch . It is not much but gives it a very meaning look. The car now sounds like a V8 finally when i hit the gas. I can;t believe i am driving a Lexus but once i am at cruising speed it is back to the quietness of mild wind noise as my only accompaniment. My performance has gotten much better as it will make the trac light go off so easily now even occasionally on 1-2 gear shifts. Gas mileage also seems to be getting better but it is also getting warmer and i don't idle the car as much to know for sure.

I'll post some pics and a sound clip later when the car is clean again.

I love it when i hit the gas and everyone looks around except at me since it is a Lexus. LOL
Old 03-16-07, 10:07 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

NICE!!!

this is similar to the setup im going to have made in a few months

what size piping did u use? i know that the LSportline mufflers are 2" but i was gunna do 2.5 cat-midpipe to a downsize into the mufflers.

get us a video man

PS-how ya been man? havent heard from you in a while...
Old 03-16-07, 10:20 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sweet SK! I cant wait for pictures and a sound clip. You bark tires with those big wheels when shifting? That must have given you some power man
Old 03-16-07, 10:30 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Not with my 20's i am running my stock 16's on snows.
I can't remember the exact piping size but i am pretty sure it was 2.25 for pipe size.
Old 03-16-07, 11:24 PM
JdmLs400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets Get A Video Going!!! Yeeeah!!
Old 03-17-07, 02:25 AM
Jasbmo
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

quick clean your car
Old 03-17-07, 10:51 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Geezus...straight pipe from the headers? Or did you just delete the cats and leave the mufflers? If your straight piping it all the way from the heads you must really sound like a race car. Too much attention could be a bad thing man.
Old 03-17-07, 11:32 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

I could never do a straight pipe or not cats. I like it just the way it is today nice and smooth . At start up it is deep but 3 second later as the idle settles down it disappears and you can' tell the car is running again.
Old 03-18-07, 07:55 AM
turbosix
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a friend of mine sold his twin turbo z06 and has two electric cutouts lying around. i'm thinking of getting them from him and putting them right after the cats then getting a shifter bezel that has a button for the air ride, hooking them up to the air ride button so i can control them and have the interior still look factory.

should sound pretty good.
Old 03-18-07, 11:04 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

youl lose low end power, the 1UZ motor needs a bit more backpressure than an open exhaust can provide.

search around for some of the previous threads on cutouts
Old 03-19-07, 07:38 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This may be a dumb question but if you go with straight pipes from the exhaust headers (cats down from the engine) don't you have to remove an extra O2 sensor? I looked under my car 2day and I have O2 sensors on each down cat and then another after it splits into 1 pipe. Anybody get that

I was going to do it but my muffler shop said by removing the sensor (after the down cats) it could trigger an idiot light. SK - since you didn't get an idiot light I guess my guy is wrong. Too bad you can't get your LS in the air and take a full photo bro.
Old 03-19-07, 09:54 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Your shop told you right there are 4 o2 sensors. 2 on each side one before and one after each of the 2 cats.
I removed the flange on the muffler side and the cats and welded the metal right to them . The o2 bung is after the flanges so the shop needs to weld a pair of o2 bungs on to thread the sensors back into. I welded right to them to increase the clearance from the cats being attached right to the exhaust manifolds. That being the way they are placed causes the pipe to have to make a very sharp bend to straighten out the flow or else it may bottom out. My bungs are welded slightly further back to allow the curve.
Old 03-20-07, 12:07 AM
mista808
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

please, pics and videoof your exhaust work... please.... i was wanting my ls400 to sound something like this gs400... does anyone know exactly what this guy is running? i tried messaging this guy but nothing... from the looks of it single in/dual out (each muffler), and thats about all i could tell... my absolute fav...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP3hFmr5hMk

this is also another nice sounding gs400...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGrAoDG2jRA

nice sound also...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1fwKQPBNdE

and one of my favs... looks of it, straight pipes, no mufflers...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCVrI87tnnM
Old 03-20-07, 12:34 AM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by turbosix
a friend of mine sold his twin turbo z06 and has two electric cutouts lying around. i'm thinking of getting them from him and putting them right after the cats then getting a shifter bezel that has a button for the air ride, hooking them up to the air ride button so i can control them and have the interior still look factory.

should sound pretty good.
you talking about kdubb? :mamoru:
Old 03-20-07, 08:29 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by skperformance
Your shop told you right there are 4 o2 sensors. 2 on each side one before and one after each of the 2 cats.
I removed the flange on the muffler side and the cats and welded the metal right to them . The o2 bung is after the flanges so the shop needs to weld a pair of o2 bungs on to thread the sensors back into. I welded right to them to increase the clearance from the cats being attached right to the exhaust manifolds. That being the way they are placed causes the pipe to have to make a very sharp bend to straighten out the flow or else it may bottom out. My bungs are welded slightly further back to allow the curve.
Thanks SK. I appreciate your information and would welcome photos if you have them available - I'd like to take them to my shop to have them do the same workaround as you did.

Quick Reply: My New Exhaust System With An X Pipe, Removed everything but the rear Lsportline muff