LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Whats wrong with my headlights>

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-01, 11:40 AM
Bib
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Whats wrong with my headlights>

The inside headlight beams, the yellow/orange ones, one both sides are not working. I did not even know they were there until I saw another lexus with them on. I checked a fuse box under the hood and the fuse box under the driver-side dash. All are ok and the bulbs both look fine. I also noticed that the rear interior lights are not turning on when the doors are opened. I am missing something? Sounds like a fuse but I think I checked all of them. Any help??
Old 11-21-01, 11:51 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The interior lights in the first gen LS are known to go bad (the wiring goes bad).
You can turn on and off the yellow on your light switch. It is a little further the turn signal stick.
Old 11-21-01, 10:44 PM
Bib
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanx, looked harder and found the switch, work fine!

Thanx, looked harder and found the switch, work fine!
Old 11-24-01, 05:50 PM
CPerez100
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

Thanks Loule... I gave my friend the tip and he fixed it as well. !!
Old 11-28-01, 06:55 PM
petrojeff
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by loule
The interior lights in the first gen LS are known to go bad (the wiring goes bad).
The dome light and driver and passenger foot lights are not working with the door switch in my LS400. I also have no stop lights on my rear hood mounted combination lights. I have checked all the bulbs and they are good. I found that I do not have continuity on one of my wires from the stop light to the light sensor relay. Anyway, my question is..Where in the harness does the wiring go bad? Is it always at a connector? Any knowledge would appreciated before I tear my baby apart and run new harnesses.
Old 11-30-01, 12:01 PM
petrojeff
Driver

Originally posted by petrojeff

The dome light and driver and passenger foot lights are not working with the door switch in my LS400. I also have no stop lights on my rear hood mounted combination lights. I have checked all the bulbs and they are good. I found that I do not have continuity on one of my wires from the stop light to the light sensor relay. Anyway, my question is..Where in the harness does the wiring go bad?
Well, I tore into the trunk wiring when I found I had no continuity from the light sensor (located on the front left of the luggage compartment) to the rear trunk mounted stop lights. IN my 92 this was a yellow colored wire. I took the tape off and followed the harness form the sensor to the channel in the trunk hinge. At the hinge I discovered a plastic radius with a plastic cover. I took of the cover and I immediately saw three wires that had been pulled apart since they were on the very outside of the radius. I spliced them together, removed the radius and taped them tightly, and now my stop lights work and the orange idiot light on the dash is no longer there. The purpose for the radius and its cover are to tuck away the harness for when the trunk shuts and keep it out of the way so it does not get pinched. Since the wires failed due to being pulled in half and the fact that they were the three wires on the outside of the radius, this leads me to believe the electrical designer, made the wires too short and thery were just pulled apart. If you have problems with tail lights and cannot isolate the problem to a bulb, this is no doubt the culprit. I have already seen multiple posts as to this proble. I am now going to tackle the interior lights and see what is up there. Loule states that is an area prone to failure. I think I will immediately go to the door harnesses and check the radii.
Old 12-01-01, 06:12 AM
lextek
Driver

Do your interior light work when the passengers side door is open?
Old 12-01-01, 07:46 AM
petrojeff
Driver

Originally posted by lextek
Do your interior light work when the passengers side door is open?
No, the only things that work are the courtesy lights on both front doors. I cannot get the personal overhead light to work with either door open, and the footlights dont work either. This would imply that all the door switches are good.