LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

The First Gen Power Steering Bible

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-08, 06:13 AM
RandomHero
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an extra pump along with the idle control valve if those of you who are experiencing problems are interested in it. Came off my 1993 and was working just fine before the car died.
Old 12-09-08, 11:18 PM
Rex Ruthor
Driver

Update: Found a cleaner way to take the valve out of the picture while looking stock for about $7. Tracked the two 1/4 inch hoses come off the ICV, with one going to the intake plenum and the other to the intake tube. Bought a foot of 1/4" vacuum hose and two 5/16" carburetor studs. Took the intake tube end off and threaded in half of the stud. Then, threaded the other half of the stud into the extra tubing. They came together with a barely visible joint. Snipped the end off the extra tubing and attached to intake tube nipple with original clamp. Did the same with the intake plenum hose. No vacuum or steering fluid will make it through those hoses. Took 10 minutes.

Last edited by Rex Ruthor; 12-11-08 at 08:02 AM. Reason: cognition
Old 12-14-08, 10:44 AM
Ls4hundred
Driver

Ok so now I'm stumped. My car is whining ( don't know if it's the solenoid or the wobbling pulley problem), I have the white smoke from the leaking valve, my wheel is getting harder to turn and feels like there are bumps in the steering (don't know how to describe it), but my power steering resevoir is full!
Old 12-14-08, 05:57 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RandomHero
I have an extra pump along with the idle control valve if those of you who are experiencing problems are interested in it. Came off my 1993 and was working just fine before the car died.

Problems is mines middle name. Seems like since cool weather has arrived, its gotten worse with leaking fluid. Its leaking externally, but I think its leaking internally as well.

I was going to get a Toyota mechanic I know to bypass that valve, but I guess it would still be leaking externally. What was the mileage on your car when the pump came off of it?

Will a 1993 pump work on a 1991? I am guessing they are exactly the same?
Old 12-15-08, 06:19 AM
RandomHero
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 91LS400LEX
Problems is mines middle name. Seems like since cool weather has arrived, its gotten worse with leaking fluid. Its leaking externally, but I think its leaking internally as well.

I was going to get a Toyota mechanic I know to bypass that valve, but I guess it would still be leaking externally. What was the mileage on your car when the pump came off of it?

Will a 1993 pump work on a 1991? I am guessing they are exactly the same?
Yes, to my knowledge, they should be the same pump.

My car had around 90k on it when this came off. But like I said, you'll most likely need the rebuild kit with the pump I'm selling just to play it safe.

PM me if you have any other questions...as it's just sitting in my garage, collecting dust.

Thanks
Old 12-22-08, 08:00 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

well, i think my pump has died.. or is very close to it anyways, it was moaning for a bit.. filled the fluid, and it was still moaning and whining.. extremely loud
so my question is..
does driving around with a busted power steering pump worsen anything else? like the rack and pinion or some other components? i'm aware the steering will be affected
thanks all
Old 01-04-09, 02:14 PM
bwilterink
Driver School Candidate

My power steering is not working, I have cleaned the solenoid screen and the pump reservoir screen and the Lexus dealer replaced the pump which was bought from AutoZone, that didn't work so the Lexus dealer said the pump could have been bad so I bought one and replaced it myself and the power steering still doesn't work. I flushed it myself and turned the wheel lock to lock twenty times after everything I did.
Any ideas on what might be the problem?
At first the PS fluid was leaking from the oil pan but now it does not leak any more.
Please help me
Old 01-08-09, 11:57 AM
bwilterink
Driver School Candidate

I guess it could be the rack and pinion but I would like to do anything I can before replacing that. Is there anyway I could diagnose it as the rack and pinion?
Old 01-08-09, 12:42 PM
agood1
Rookie

My steering never firms up, as my speed increases. It is always very easy to move. Would this be caused by an bypassed control valve?
Old 01-09-09, 10:32 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

I dont know, but does anyone else notice that they have to add fluid only if its cold/cool out?

In the summer/warm weather in the winter I never have to add fluid, but if it drops below 50° in the winter, I have to occasionally add some fluid. Below 35°, pouring it in every 2 days.

WHY does it leak mostly in cool/cold weather?

Also when they leak externally, what typically leaks? Is it an easy fix? I have read alot about the internal leaks, but not the external.... is it not as simple as a leaky hose and the entire thing has to be replaced?

Also, I have not been able to find a DETAILED description on cleaning the screen in the pump or the rack. Can someone advise, or steer me to the posts if I am overlooking them? Thanks!

Last edited by 91LS400LEX; 01-09-09 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-11-09, 01:44 PM
bwilterink
Driver School Candidate

It's the filter/screen on the reservoir and the screen on the solenoid. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ystem-diy.html

Here is a good one.
Old 02-04-09, 03:48 PM
V.I.P LS4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

has anyone purchased a remanufactured power steering pump from carquest. cost is 150 compared to 450 at the dealer. Any suggestions
Old 02-05-09, 09:31 PM
V.I.P LS4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Woooo i feel so accomplished after swapping my Pump. It took about 3 hours, it was pretty easy minus the tight spots. No noise, and no leaking all over my car lol. paid 420 for brand new from dealer, with buddies discount otherwise the damn thing would have ran me 580.
Great Success =D
Old 03-09-09, 07:59 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by agood1
My steering never firms up, as my speed increases. It is always very easy to move. Would this be caused by an bypassed control valve?
I'm having this same problem. Steering is always light regardless of speed. Any idea what could be causing this? I was thinking a bad solenoid on the rack or bad SCU (steering control unit) located under the dash.
Old 03-15-09, 01:02 PM
KMinAF
Rookie

Default PS pump vacuum valve, another alternative

In stead of going through all the trouble of plugging or sealing the vacuum valve, I just bought a replacement from the local Pic N Pull for about $1.50. I took mine from a Toyota truck. It looks a little different (it is made of metal not plastic) and it works just fine. These valves are used on the majority of Toyotas.

Quick Reply: The First Gen Power Steering Bible