LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

The First Gen Power Steering Bible

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-16, 09:27 PM
Chris1115
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering leak

So just a heads up to those with a leak, I have a 94 Is with 125k and I noticed from what I assumed was seepage but nothing ever visible on the ground, why because I'm stupid and just drive it for the 3 months I had it in the freezing cold without checking anything. So it ran beautiful, anyways the cover was holding in all the leading fluid and what do you know it blew my alternator, still not sure what I should do about the pump and don't have a reputable mechanic in the McHenry Illinois area. The point I want to make is the symptoms of the alternator blowing. Getting off the a way the abs and Trac lights went on, then I turned into a parking lot and it would not accelerate,I stopped turned the car off and it automatically accelerated without me hitting the gas at all, like a ghost was driving,I had to hold the brake and throw it in park, the gas was rhythmically being hit by a ghost from 1 to 2k rpm rhythmically every 1 second. I turned it off and on and it continued to rev by itself the same way, turned it off then it just dead, the battery that is. My point really is, if I had my daughter with me and it wasn't 2 in the morning this could have been very dangerous, bottom line take care of it stat and don't wait it out. I still don't know what to do about the pump as far as just getting a new one and what I need to get, let alone who to have work on it that knows this car and won't rape me on parts and labor. I do know it's been 2 weeks and I miss it dearly, driving a brand new Fully loaded ford escape is no comparison. Thanks for listening guys. Anyone know of any reasonable reputable mechanic in the Chicagoland area please pm me it sure would be appreciated.
Old 02-25-16, 08:15 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

bought a new rack from www.myLparts.com and a new pump,dealer part from toyota off amazon
Amazon.com: Lexus 44320-50020, Power Steering Pump: Automotive Amazon.com: Lexus 44320-50020, Power Steering Pump: Automotive

rack was 1179.00 and the pump i got when it was 496.00. not cheap but i warrantied the rack i bought a year ago so it eased the bill...plus my tax return covered most of the remainder. my steering has never been this good!
forgot to mention clublexus discount code for myLparts is CL5

Last edited by python; 02-26-16 at 05:04 AM.
Old 02-26-16, 04:29 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by python
bought a new rack from www.myLparts.com and a new pump,dealer part from toyota off amazon
Amazon.com: Lexus 44320-50020, Power Steering Pump: Automotive

rack was 1179.00 and the pump i got when it was 496.00. not cheap but i warrantied the rack i bought a year ago so it eased the bill...plus my tax return covered most of the remainder. my steering has never been this good!
forgot to mention clublexus discount code for myLparts is CL5
Why not leave a good review on Amazon for the part?
Old 02-26-16, 08:26 PM
python
Lexus Champion

dont have the option for some reason. i bought one from apszone and it arrived with the shaft of the pump sticking out of the boxes it was packed in so i had to return it..then i saw autohasit had the pump
http://www.amazon.com/sp?_encoding=U...b=&vasStoreID=

some negative reviews, so i contacted them directly and told them i had concerns regarding their negative reviews. they assured me the pump would be shipped quickly if i ordered it. so i did,everything went smoothly.
Old 02-27-16, 08:29 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Amazon should have sent you an email but you should be able to leave a review if you look up your orders on Amazon. A review of the actual item and not of the seller. I like to state my vehicle in the review for anything that I purchase that for my car since a lot of things are universal.
Old 02-28-16, 06:49 AM
python
Lexus Champion

i did leave a review...sorry i forgot i did
http://www.amazon.com/sp?_encoding=U...b=&vasStoreID=

click the "next" button 6 times and there it is

my review on feb 6th: "so ive been reading negative reviews on this seller,i can only speak on my experience. shipping was extremely fast..product was well packed and to top it off it was cheaper than anyone else online! thank you"
Old 02-28-16, 06:55 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

You should leave a review on the actual product page. Right now there are no reviews. Just scroll to the bottom where it say's write a customer review.
Old 02-28-16, 07:09 AM
python
Lexus Champion

i click on the order and it goes to the apszone pump i bought. ive done enough..thanks for ur concern
Old 02-28-16, 06:13 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

When I look on Amazon for parts for my car I always check the reviews for ppl that installed whatever part on an LS. This lets me know that the part is actually for my car plus if it has any defects, but yeah you've done enough.
Old 05-31-16, 10:55 AM
miles56
Driver School Candidate

Default Help rack and pinion replacement

Originally Posted by steph
i thought i would update this. I finally fixed the steering in my lex. the rack and pinion was bad. I got a good used one, and now it works perfect. If anyone else needs one i have an extra one.
Hello if any one can help me with a link to how to replace Rack and Pinion I would be thankful !!!
Old 05-31-16, 03:22 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

The first thing is to disconnect everything that goes to it. Make sure you use the seat belt or something to tie the steering wheel in position you don't want to ruin the clock spring wire in the column. Suck out as much power steering fluid you can with a turkey baster type thing, I use a cheap battery filler bulb, and clean it good afterwards.
Old 05-31-16, 09:19 PM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
The first thing is to disconnect everything that goes to it. Make sure you use the seat belt or something to tie the steering wheel in position you don't want to ruin the clock spring wire in the column. Suck out as much power steering fluid you can with a turkey baster type thing, I use a cheap battery filler bulb, and clean it good afterwards.
I need to do this....
Old 09-18-16, 11:20 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Gen 1 info.
This is the power steering pump parts view.
http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...rimLevel=19107

I replaced a messed up after market rebuilt power steering pump with a junk yard one. Come to find out it has a messed up union seat, it has a small brass tube in it and it was worn badly and the hydraulic piston in the idle up valve came out in 2 pieces. So I figured if I put another good idle up valve on it that it may just get messed up and leak. So I decided to do the delete of the idle up valve. I started with just a bolt that is 14mm X1.5, and it leaked, so after a bit of study the idle up valve has a countersink in the opening of the hole that is a taper seal to the outside part of the union seat. I ended up trying to drill the proper hole and countersink on my little harborfreight lathe and could not center well at all chucking off the hex, so used a longer bolt threaded end and cut the hex off so I could hold it, then put on a nut and welded it. It worked good and did not leak.
The one on the left side is the first attempt and not on center, the center one is the final one with welded nut, and then the idle up or idle air control valve on the right. Optical illusion with size difference in the pics. The proper size is 14mm X 1.5, meaning the major outside diameter of the threaded end is 14mm and the pitch or distance of the peak to peak of that thread is 1.5 mm.
Attached Thumbnails The First Gen Power Steering Bible-20160918_174742.jpg   The First Gen Power Steering Bible-20160918_174846.jpg  

Last edited by dicer; 09-18-16 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-22-18, 09:51 AM
Stan3511
8th Gear

I have a 1992 Lexus LS 400 that I have owned since it was new, and I do not drive it much, so it still has a bit less than 140,000 miles on it. For more than 10 years now, it has had a slow power steering fluid leak that the repair place I used to use in my former home told me is common on these vehicles. They advised me to wait to fix it until I am having to add fluid so often that it becomes a nuisance. It used to be that I would add fluid only about once every few months, but now I am topping it off once every month. I have not had any other problems with the system--no smoke, no noise, no difficulty steering, etc. If you had to guess, what would you think the problem is and how much should it cost to have it fixed (I do not know enough about cars to do whatever it is by myself, so will have to have a repairman do the work). Thank you in advance.
Old 06-03-18, 05:09 PM
Alexalemis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by steph
i thought i would update this. I finally fixed the steering in my lex. the rack and pinion was bad. I got a good used one, and now it works perfect. If anyone else needs one i have an extra one.
Hi. What year is the extra rack and pinion that you have?

I have a 99 LS400 which I believe is a generation 2.2.

Quick Reply: The First Gen Power Steering Bible