LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

The First Gen Power Steering Bible

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-13, 10:58 PM
richfung
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the O-ring, return hose changed , IAC vacuum lines capped 10 days ago. It was only getting a few drops a day from filling every 2 days. Today suddenly the steering become so stiff it felt like can't turn at all. I put the front wheels on jacks and it turn lock to lock fine. But it is so hard to turn when put back on ground. Can't drive it in this condition. There is no noise from the PS pump. No leak or bubbles.
What can be wrong?
Help!
Old 03-14-13, 01:37 PM
richfung
Driver School Candidate

Solenoid cleaned but feeling only getting about 10% steering power back.
Stiff stiff like an old truck.
What am I missing?
Is it time to change pump?
Old 04-01-13, 05:18 PM
richfung
Driver School Candidate

Changed pump, pluged IAC, no leak and no noise anymore.
Old 05-02-13, 01:56 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Crap, had the pulley wheel off & think I may have rounded off the nut on the inner stud bolt.
This is going to be a *****!
Old 05-06-13, 06:15 AM
BobN54
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hints and an in-line filter for your power steering service

I read the various tutorials and posts describing some struggles, and after completing a PS service on my 1997, I'd like to share a few hints that may help others.

1. To remove the solenoid, use a coal chisel, not a screwdriver. The chisel will make a small notch in the metal that will give it purchase to turn the solenoid; a screwdriver will slip off. Mine came loose with a couple of moderate hits on the chisel. You hit on the flats; where one would put a wrench if there was room. There is a picture elsewhere in this thread.

2. Cleaning the reservoir DOES NOT HAVE TO BE A MESSY JOB! Simply clean the reservoir while you have the solenoid off for cleaning. Removing the solenoid drains the system and then there is then virtually no mess when the reservoir is removed.

3. DON'T REMOVE THE PULLEY on the PS pump just to remove the reservoir. The tutorial leaves this unsaid, but you can simply reach through the holes in the pulley with your 12mm socket to access the reservoir bolt behind it; at least on my 1997 it's that way.

4. DO remove the air induction tunnel, air cleaner and MAF assembly to give you room to work on the reservoir. It only takes about 10 minutes, and it makes a world of difference.

5. You can clean the reservoir can without disassembling it. I plugged the outlets with rubber stoppers and filled the can with solvent. I used MEK, a strong solvent that is just below acetone, but I'm sure about any strong solvent will do. I shook the can, emptied the mess, and repeated. I got it pretty clean, then let it sit overnight with a dose for the final cleaning. After drying it in an oven at 250 (remove o-ring) to ensure there was no solvent leftover, it was spotless.

6. The 3 12mm reservoir mounting bolts are made with straight cuts at the end which makes them devils to get started. I managed, but if doing it again, I think I would check the hardware store for some more normally finished bolts that might be easier to start.

7. I needed to use a thin knife blade to help get the solenoid screen to slide off. Mine was terrible; I'd say about 75% clogged. My PS was vague and had high effort - this corrected it.

8. The OEM rubber section of return line at the pump is a molded hose. It seemed to work out okay to replace it with a little longer piece of straight 3/8" PS hose as mentioned elsewhere.

9. I installed an in-line filter in the PS return line. I've had great success with these on other vehicles for both the transmission and PS. The LS400 turned out to have a very nice place to locate it. Usually, I use Magnefine filters, 3/8", but this time I used a kit from Carquest. I liked that it included high quality worm clamps. The hose in the kit was a bit stiff, so I used some other that I had. If it seems a little tight in there when trying to get the filter in, notice that the hard line at the bottom can be easily moved up or down by just bending it's mounting clamp.

10. With everything back together, I flushed the PS system with fresh Dexron, bled it per the FSM, and called it done. The PS feel is now much better, and effort is lower. Happy servicing!
Old 05-29-13, 06:02 AM
Crybicki
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power Steering Vacuum Hose help

The two vacuum hoses that come off of my power steering pump---

One of them is cut, and one of them, I am not sure it is in the right place.

The First Gen Power Steering Bible-6v5i7x0.jpg
The First Gen Power Steering Bible-qg0iyr0.jpg

I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me exactly where these go, because I have looked in a couple places that people have told me, but I am still having trouble finding it.

Thankyou!

EDIT: I found out where it goes finally thanks to a CL member. I made an image of it, I figured I would leave this here just in case someone in the future needs this info. :

The First Gen Power Steering Bible-sq8dozh.jpg

Last edited by Crybicki; 05-31-13 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Problem Solved!
Old 06-28-13, 12:42 PM
Twista4004
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wait, so why is the cut line circled?

why are they both circled for that matter?
Old 07-01-13, 09:08 AM
Crybicki
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Twista4004
wait, so why is the cut line circled?

why are they both circled for that matter?
I did an edit on it. That line was cut when I got the car and I had no idea where it went to. Someone finally showed me though so I posted it on here for future reference.
Old 08-10-13, 04:48 AM
LS400A
Driver School Candidate

Hello, anyone knows what years of LS400 power steering pump fits for 1990?
Old 11-06-13, 04:32 PM
MattLS400
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My RHD 1996 Celsior requires a power steering high pressure line with part number 44410-50050...Please help me locate this power steering line
Old 11-06-13, 07:01 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MattLS400
My RHD 1996 Celsior requires a power steering high pressure line with part number 44410-50050...Please help me locate this power steering line
just take the stock one out and have your local hydraulic hose rebuilders rebuild it for you. cheaper than stock, way cheaper than importing a RHD line.
Old 11-06-13, 10:07 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
just take the stock one out and have your local hydraulic hose rebuilders rebuild it for you. cheaper than stock, way cheaper than importing a RHD line.
Miami would have plenty of hose rebuilders near the airports, not too sure about Trinidad & Tabago, though!
Old 11-07-13, 04:48 AM
MattLS400
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Hmmm......You know I was actually thinking about that....But wasnt sure how bad the leak is....I put on average a bottle of dexron 3 once a month...

But now that you and the Cowboy mention it.....Id locate one locally....thanks guys.

Old 11-08-13, 05:37 PM
KiNGD206
Driver School Candidate

hey guys i need some help

1990 ls400 lexus
im wondering how wud i go about to delete the PS pump? i got a link to the lewd how to replace, but wat im wondering is

do i just remove EVERYTHING PS related?
i feel like itll save me a headache later on with it leaking again etc, i rather go non power steering
Old 11-08-13, 07:11 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by KiNGD206
hey guys i need some help

1990 ls400 lexus
im wondering how wud i go about to delete the PS pump? i got a link to the lewd how to replace, but wat im wondering is

do i just remove EVERYTHING PS related?
i feel like itll save me a headache later on with it leaking again etc, i rather go non power steering
this is a bad plan!

but first of all, try having your muscular buddy push you around the parking lot with the car off and in neutral in some figure 8's and I figure after about 3 minutes of arm pump with wrestling a 4000 lb car with no PS, you will abandon this crazy idea!

Quick Reply: The First Gen Power Steering Bible