LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

The First Gen Power Steering Bible

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-10, 04:58 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by JustCraza
I've read the majority of the thread, but not sure if this question has been answered. I just bought a 1990 LS and there is an incredibly small leak coming out of the rack boot, but the leak is enough to fail the car for the inspection. They told me to replace the entire power steering rack, so I was wondering, is there some small, simple fix for plugging this part of the rack? I can take pictures if needed.
Thanks a ton,
Jimmy
Hopefully no need to replace the rack for a small leak. I had a pinhole in one of my steering boots, causing a tiny leak. No inspection issue for me, just trying to prevent leaks.

My solution was to:

1 - put a small piece of duct tape over to hole to stop dirt from getting in (I don't know if the tape is still there, but it seemed like I should do something). Of course I first cleaned the boot as carefully a possible to get the tape to stick.

2 - the pinhole was on the bottom side of the boot, which allowed it to leak. I rotated the boot 1/2 turn, so the hole is now on the top side, and does not leak. I think I had to loosen and then tighten a couple of clamps to do this.

Last edited by oldskewel; 10-07-10 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-07-10, 07:58 PM
lz4004
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default `First Generation power Steering`

I like this bible! My 90 ls400 135k has what i think is a power steering whine. When at idle and louder as given more rpm. The turning of the wheel either way has no affect on the whinning nor any problem with the steering performance. It sounds like the power steering fluid is dry. On a closer look.it sounds like the whinning is more near the intake manifold. Any ideas?

thanks.
Old 10-07-10, 10:20 PM
LexLSGold
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lz4004
I like this bible! My 90 ls400 135k has what i think is a power steering whine. When at idle and louder as given more rpm. The turning of the wheel either way has no affect on the whinning nor any problem with the steering performance. It sounds like the power steering fluid is dry. On a closer look.it sounds like the whinning is more near the intake manifold. Any ideas?

thanks.

Yes, I think you should begin with 2 steps, read near the beginning of this thread to learn how to clean your solenoid screen, I have done this procedure myself using posts from this thread. Just take your time and work properly in order not to damage the solenoid, you will need to replace the whole rack if you do that and the rack is expensive. Its a simple procedure, removal of the solenoid can be a pain though, so patience is important. Most of my power steering problems were resolved when I did this on my LS, no more noise and steering came back to life. However I still experience problems, only at idle though, I have no power steering at speeds lower than 2 mph, I have to lightly hit the gas to get the wheel to turn while trying to park. The second procedure is plugging the ACV, people talk about white smoke on startup, mine happens when I punch the gas pedal, theres a malfunction in the power steering air control valve. I will be doing this procedure on my car soon. Im hoping this works for me and also for you. Like I said, before you spend any money, take the easy steps, first clean the solenoid, then plug the ACV and flush the whole system after you are finished. Everything you need to know is on this thread, plugging the acv seems a little misleading at times but take your time, read the thread, become familiar with the procedures and dont take any shortcuts. Remember, this info will save you alot of money, use it properly and you will be happy.

Good Luck
Old 02-08-11, 01:58 PM
jbelway
Driver School Candidate

Here's a picture of the valve in question....
Hope this works...
Attached Thumbnails The First Gen Power Steering Bible-vacuum-valve.jpg  
Old 02-08-11, 02:01 PM
jbelway
Driver School Candidate

Here's a picture of the valve....
Attached Thumbnails The First Gen Power Steering Bible-vacuum-valve.jpg  
Old 07-11-11, 06:35 AM
RICWON1
Driver School Candidate

Wink power steering pump

Dont buy a new pump simple try plugging the two small vacuum hoses 1st. After buying a new pump and installation i still had my leakage and smokeproblem until i read the forum. Thanks guys easy fix i never replace the valve just plugged the hoses great fix it cost me 7.00 dollars for clamps screws and ps fluid thank god my problem is finally fixed.
Originally Posted by sportznuts
thanks mr. Ls400.

I am getting the p/s pump replaced next week. If that doesn't fix my leakage problem, i will have to get the air control valve. I just told my mechanic the solenoid should be cleaned as well. Not sure how much extra work that is. I guess lexus dealership always cleans the solenoid every time they replace a power steering pump.

It's amazing how common this problem is on the ls400. A lot of people i talk to are amazed that the p/s pump ever goes out. On a lexus, it's almost automatic around the 150k point.

I guess, if you want the smoothest ride ever, it's gonna hit your wallet every once in awhile. I'm not complaining.
Old 07-11-11, 06:57 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by RICWON1
Dont buy a new pump simple try plugging the two small vacuum hoses 1st. After buying a new pump and installation i still had my leakage and smokeproblem until i read the forum. Thanks guys easy fix i never replace the valve just plugged the hoses great fix it cost me 7.00 dollars for clamps screws and ps fluid thank god my problem is finally fixed.
Plugging the hoses might have worked in your case but on most of them the ACV is what actually leaks and drips on the alternator. That's why people take the valve out, install a bolt in place of tha valve to block the hole, and cap the 2 vacuum lines from above.
Old 07-20-11, 01:52 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to see this thread is still around
Old 07-31-11, 07:56 PM
subtle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by deanshark
Plugging the hoses might have worked in your case but on most of them the ACV is what actually leaks and drips on the alternator. That's why people take the valve out, install a bolt in place of tha valve to block the hole, and cap the 2 vacuum lines from above.
Does anyone have a link to a DIY or write up on how to do this exactly?

My mother's LS400 pump is starting to go and I would like to take care of it for her with as little money as possible.
Old 07-31-11, 09:14 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by subtle
Does anyone have a link to a DIY or write up on how to do this exactly?

My mother's LS400 pump is starting to go and I would like to take care of it for her with as little money as possible.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ystem-diy.html
Old 12-06-11, 09:27 AM
NEcoastie
Driver School Candidate

Glad I found this page.. Too late though, because my alternator is shot from ps leak... Hope I can find a local mechanic to help out since the nearest Lexus dealer is 2 hours drive south. If not I'll have to attempt this repair on my own...
Old 01-11-12, 10:35 PM
teek
Driver School Candidate

Default Hints for easier Idle Control Valve removal

Before you spend an hour trying to unscrew the valve from the power steering pump with your basic open end 17mm wrench and spend 3 more hours going to Sears and other hardware stores trying to find a tool that will work, go to Harbor Freight and for around $8 buy the metric Angle Wrench Set Item # 05697. The 17mm wrench will easily remove the valve. Also, if you have a standard 1/4" thread cutter, put threads in the hole already provided in the valve and put an allan head screw in it coated with RTV Silicone. Let it set up overnight ( may not be necessary but that's what I did ). Block off the vacuum nipples on the top of the engine with rubber caps. Use the springy clams that came off the old vacuum tubes you disconnected.
As everyone else mentioned, my Lexus idles smoother and, hopefully, stopped using transmission fluid.
Old 01-24-12, 06:00 AM
NEcoastie
Driver School Candidate

Default Power steering and alternator fixed...

Just a follow up on my prior post(and to keep my subscription on this website alive)... I found a local guy who owns the same car as mine-92' LS400- I brought to him a work log I had been jotting down things on- most of which the information I found in this Sticky... He was impressed and we went over my car together. He had no problem sharing his knowledge from being a Toyota/Lexus tech for 20 years... I found re-furb alternator on line for $94.00 along with a power steering pump hose for 120.00 on the same website- got free shipping overnight. Brought the parts to him on arrival and my car was back on the road the next morning... Hopefully other new proud owners of first gen ls400's find this priceless information before it's too late...
Old 01-24-12, 08:01 PM
moat
Driver

Originally Posted by NEcoastie
Just a follow up on my prior post(and to keep my subscription on this website alive)... I found a local guy who owns the same car as mine-92' LS400- I brought to him a work log I had been jotting down things on- most of which the information I found in this Sticky... He was impressed and we went over my car together. He had no problem sharing his knowledge from being a Toyota/Lexus tech for 20 years... I found re-furb alternator on line for $94.00 along with a power steering pump hose for 120.00 on the same website- got free shipping overnight. Brought the parts to him on arrival and my car was back on the road the next morning... Hopefully other new proud owners of first gen ls400's find this priceless information before it's too late...
can you share the web site with us, where you bought the stuff from?
Old 01-25-12, 06:52 PM
moat
Driver

Default aftermarket power steering hi pressure hose line

The OEM power steering hi pressure hose and return hose are both very expensive ($380+ and $130+).

I see aftermarket hi pressure hose go for $70 at napa auto, autozone, oreilly, etc. The return hose is around $15. Is it ok to use these aftermarket tubes?

Also, the OEM power steering pump is $500+, which aftermarket PS pump has a good reputation here on CL?

Quick Reply: The First Gen Power Steering Bible