LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS-400 Top Speed? (The Mother Thread)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-07, 08:42 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Where's Stefwilli at he's done these numbers on several occasions lol
Old 01-16-07, 09:00 AM
2tirefire
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Horta
Hey All

Ok first off, no insult was taken from the comments. I figured someone would comment negative to the post. If you read my post carefully I did not say who was driving my LS or who took the pictures and even if the driver took the pictures. The last thing I would do is on a Public forum incriminate anyone or myself with pictured proof. The point of the post is to show you all who have wondered what is the official Top Speed of our cars is.

I will say this the cars was very stable at 151mph. You just felt a slight nudge when the the fuel cut off kicked in and out. It was not any harder driving at 151 than it was at 85 except you would never dare take a turn at 151mph. Being it was a clear day and the was no trffic and the road was flat, there was no danger of driving and taking a picture. Is it risky yes, but again no one outside of the LS was in ANY danger at ANY time.

It took about 30sec to get from 80 to 140. From 140 to 145 it took about 12 seconds but to get to 151 took another 12 seconds. Now these are toally rough estimates. On the video you can see the run from 80 to 140 takes about 30 seconds. The point is from 140 to 151 felt like it took forever compared to getting to 140. At 140 the car felt a little floaty but once it broke 145 it just hunkered down and drove smooth as could be. I have read that the European LS have no speed limiter and can do 160mph plus. I will say this I dont think a stock US LS400 should go over 150mph with out a stiffer sport suspension.

Also Please understand this post IS NOT intended for people to try this especially teenagers. I am not condoning or praising speeding or braking any laws. I would never recommend anyone trying something like this. At the same time like I said my car is maintained in Perfect Tip Top condition. It has new Bridgestone ER33/OEM Z rated tires filled with Nitrogen. It also has all new Lexus shocks, bushings and all the needed suspension peices maintaind. The road condition was perfectly flat and straight for the most part. Two lanes in each direction with a large metal railed median in between. No traffic in either direction, and was a clear sunny day. As you read it took a couple of try because when traffic did appear from any direction or a slight turn was coming the speed run was stopped.

Jerry
Very well spoken, mad respect your way!
Old 01-16-07, 10:55 AM
chubby
Lead Lap

hah 8mpg FTL
Old 01-16-07, 12:01 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Reading this thread, i thought of this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmcML...elated&search=
Old 01-16-07, 03:41 PM
Jasbmo
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

impresssive, this is a V8 monster. Glad this 1998 vehicle can still keep up. I've hammered my car from 60-90, a couple times and the power is phenomenal.

that cayman tach needle just goes UP

man, to have access to an open runway......

Don't the air suspension LS4's lower a couple inches once over 70mph??
Old 01-16-07, 05:45 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2tirefire
This is what I am generally concerned with. I know that he has posted that he is a responsible driver and is to chicken to go above 90MPH, so that is good, but comments like this I see on many forums, and only occasionaly do they end up concluding in an accident, but occasionaly is a bit too much.
When I was very young, I was obsessed with top speed. As I've grown older, however, I've come to the realization that a car's potential top speed means absolutely nothing when it's a felony (yes, a FELONY in CA) to be caught doing it. You'll never see me driving recklessly. Everything to lose and nothing to gain.
Old 01-16-07, 06:54 PM
LEX012006
Driver

My fellow Lexus drivers......LIFE is too short to take lightly. Unless you race cars for a living (NASCAR, Top fuel drag cars, Demolition derbys, etc.) or you drive on the Autobahn on a regular basis. NONE of us should be driving at such a reckless speed. When was the last time you or anyone you know was driving and all of a sudden we/they got a flat tire?

A blow out at over 100 mph, not a pretty site!!

Take careful note of speed limits. Pushing the envelope is one thing. Having such a high disregard for your life is another.

Drive safely so that we can enjoy our wonderful vehicles for years to come
Lexus is only getting better as the years go on (for example 1990 LS vs. 2007 LS).
Old 01-16-07, 08:21 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes speed is dangerous and I knew after I read your post that people were going to give you crap about it. Some cars are very stable at high speeds. I don't have an issue with people driving fast as long as they know how to handle certain situations. I picked up a 40th anniversary Vette from Seattle and drove it home to WI. In Wyoming on a road that went straight for miles I had it up to 168mph. Sure there was a bunch of wind noise but the car was very stable. I am more worried about drunk drivers out there than someone doing 100+ on a pretty deserted road.
Old 01-16-07, 11:48 PM
Argentum
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GKLCPA
Not to dump on anyone, but I agree with 2tirefire. The place for that sort of speed is a racetrack and not a public highway no matter how isolated.
Exactly: There's a fine line between traveling over the speed limit, and attempting to break the sound barrier. Even an wide-open, public road is simply not the place for going 150 mph, let alone 100 mph. Holding a camera phone in your hand while driving at those speeds is even worse.

Just because it's a car enthusiast's forum doesn't mean that all types of driving behavior is acceptable.
Old 01-17-07, 12:03 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Argentum
Exactly: There's a fine line between traveling over the speed limit, and attempting to break the sound barrier. Even an wide-open, public road is simply not the place for going 150 mph, let alone 100 mph. Holding a camera phone in your hand while driving at those speeds is even worse.

Just because it's a car enthusiast's forum doesn't mean that all types of driving behavior is acceptable.
but that doesnt give you or any off us the right to condemn someone's actions. this is a PUBLIC forum, meaning that you are allowed to post anything that is not overly Extreme. posting it here does NOT mean that the site or its admins/owners condone what is done.
Old 01-17-07, 05:24 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Those times to get to those speeds sound about right, i know the LS is somewhat quick on the 0-60, but getting to 100 and above is very sluggish unless you totally mash the pedal, then it's just sluggish.

Just out of curiosity, what did your revs look like at those speeds?
Old 01-17-07, 05:45 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by litesoarer
Those times to get to those speeds sound about right, i know the LS is somewhat quick on the 0-60, but getting to 100 and above is very sluggish unless you totally mash the pedal, then it's just sluggish.
Thats how every car is... due to the laws of physics (Drag).
Old 01-17-07, 05:56 AM
okiaristo
Pole Position

i wont judge because i have done worse with less attention to detail.. i just wanted to chime in to say you got better gas mileage at 151 than at 129 or whatever the mph was... were you off the gas for one and on for the other? just wondering if the car has a anomoly of sorts and actually cut the air better at the higher speed..
Old 01-17-07, 06:08 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by litesoarer

Just out of curiosity, what did your revs look like at those speeds?
Were you able to see the video on Youtube. The link is on my original first post?

The revs..well now the GPS blocks that so I have no clue, sorry.

By the way no offense taken on all the negative comments. Evey one is entitled to their opinion. There are people who do stupid things every day on the road. Some weave in and out of traffic just to be first in line. Some have to race of at every green light, not even considering someone could run their red light. Some people (many in South Florida) tailgate constantly at very unsafe levels, so no one is a perfect driver. I do none of these things I just mentioned. I drive with my cruise control on 95% of the time even in the city. I take the same turnpike rout every day back n fourth to work. I cruise at about 83mph (thats the accepted norm on Fl Turnpike).

Now if I find myself on an open piece of road with no traffic coming in either way and I know my car has just been serviced I may press the throttle a bit. Remember its here in the US where speeds of 100mph are totally frowned upon, but yet in Europe 100 to even 120mph is the norm on the Autobahn. I have friends who lived there and anything lower than 100 feels like your crawling to them. Our cars are perfectly safe up to its top speed IF it maintained properly and the road conditions are correct. We as Americans just have this inherit fear of going over 100mph.

Below is a link I posted some time ago. For those of you who liked the pictures you may like the this thread too.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...a&pagenumber=1
Old 01-17-07, 09:45 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A noob's two-cents:

Three years ago, I had a twin turbo 300ZX, The car was heavily modified and I was always scratching that "what if?" when driving my car. I finally worked up the courage/stupidity of doing a speed run topping past 160mph on a public freeway. There were no cars on the road. I think the CHP are still looking for me.

Now that I'm a little older, I guess I'm wussing out/getting smarter. I realize now that if I had hit some debris on the road, an oil slick, if it started raining, etc. You can't predict other drivers and you can't control road conditions. This type of driving belongs on the track, in my humble opinion. And that's what it comes down to; our opinions on what is safe/acceptable behavior/actions.

Now I drive a lazily 65mph on the right side of the freeway in my LS and don't let anything bug me anymore.

Quick Reply: LS-400 Top Speed? (The Mother Thread)