LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Types of Coolant, couple of related questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-07, 09:57 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Types of Coolant, couple of related questions...

...hi all. New to CL. Already did a search to see if this was posted, if I missed it, please forgive my noob-ness.

I just purchased a 1992 LS400, and I love it to death. I am changing the oil, but I want to flush the radiator as well. I noticed that Toyota OEM coolant/anti-freeze is RED, while the stuff I usually see in auto stores is the green or yellow stuff. Is there a real difference between these, and should I be buying the Toyota stuff? What about aftermarket stuff called water wetters, did anyone use this on their LS400 and have good reviews?

My temp gauge indicator sits a little of above the middle. It annoys me because my last car sat lower than half way.

BTW, I don't think I need to keep the thermostat. I'm planning on cutting out the center and letting the water flow through the system on startup. Any negative feedback to this?

Thanks ahead of time.

-avalon42
Old 01-10-07, 09:33 AM
91LS400vgb
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Safest way to go is with the toyota stuff, although it's not as important with the 1st generation LS's, as long as you don't mix different types.

As for bypassing the thermostat, it would be a big mistake as your engine will run too cold which will result in oil sludge and a rich fuel mixture, which can reduce lubrication in the cylinders and increase wear on the rings. The rich mixture can also dilute the oil in the crankcase which can increase wear to other parts of the engine.
Old 01-10-07, 10:15 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

What 91LS400vgb mentioned is absolutely correct

If you really want to play with the thermostat, get a low-temp TRD T-stat. I have been running one for over a year and no issues, http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=488

To add to some of your other points, I have seen what happens when people mix different coolants together, the red and the green, and it comes out into a jello type mixture over time. About a week ago my uncle fixed an Aerostar minivan that had this issue.

I highly recommend WaterWetter. You only need one bottle unlike some other brands that require 2 or 3 to get an effect. In older vehicles, you should see a big drop than I would in my RX.
Old 01-10-07, 01:40 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What does replacing the Thermostat with a TRD one accomplish?
Old 01-10-07, 01:51 PM
dac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its a performance part so better designed and operates at lower temps than the standard type I would guess
Old 01-10-07, 02:48 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Motors work best when they are nice and hot. Don't get the TRD thermostat.
Old 01-10-07, 03:18 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

motors work best within a certain temperature range. too hot and ur losing power, too cold and its dangerously bad for engine health. the TRD thermostat, according to TRD Japan's site does the following:

By reducing the valve temperature by about 10 to 15ーC compared with that of a standard thermostat, the TRD sports thermostat increases coolant circulation and reduces performance bottlenecks caused by engine heat, to bring out the best in engine performance. (Maintains valve temperature of 71ーC.)
source: http://trdparts.jp/english/parts_thermostat.html
Old 01-10-07, 03:26 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

In my old car the thermostat went bad. It was open all the time not allowing the engine to properly warm up. When I drove on the highway my temperature was almost on COLD. This reduced gas mileage tremedously.

So, do not mess with the thermostat.
Old 01-10-07, 09:39 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just read the tutorial on lexls.com...I see he said using the green stuff is wrong, and he re-filled the system using DexCool orange (GM stuff)!!! Is this right?!?!?!

BTW, I found WaterWetters at Pep Boys.

So, does everyone elses temp gauge sit a little bit higher than middle? What about that electric fan mod I was reading on lexls...recommended?

Thanks to all for the info! I want this baby to see another 150K (with me as the owner/driver, of course...

-avalon42
Old 01-10-07, 11:50 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

In addition to the popsts about the thermostat, the plugs are also designed to work in a specific temp range.

Rather than just the flush, you may need to replace the radiator or determine that airflow is not being restricted.
Old 06-25-08, 03:24 PM
0neRiptide
Driver School Candidate

I have overheating issues with my 94 LS400 almost every year is it a common problem with this car?
Old 06-25-08, 07:58 PM
UCF11
Driver

What coolant does everyone recomend running for a 1st gen then???
Old 06-25-08, 08:01 PM
UCF11
Driver

oh and never remove a thermostat.

Try a cooler one if you like, it may affect fuel economy and power. If it makes no differance may as well let it be hotter.

Also, Dont know about anyone else, but my temp gauge is halfway when the car is off (cold as a rock) so its on almost max when at normal temp, maybe you might have a dead capacitor giving the gauge false readings.
Old 06-25-08, 08:16 PM
dacecil
Rookie

I always go with the official information posted either by the automobile manufacturer, or the manufacturer of the parts, or in this case chemicals. I know that the SuperTech coolant at Walmart says it can be mixed with any color or type of coolant. Now if it ruins your engine or turns your coolant to Jello, I'm not sure Sam Walton (or his heirs in this case) is going to buy you a new one.

I just don't like myth and urban legend. And it seems to me that a major chemical manufacturer (which is who makes all engine coolant) should and would know what it is and isn't compatible with. So, that being said, I use SuperTech in all of my cars. And with no ill effects.

My business is used car dealer, so I go through a lot of chemicals and have no problem using the cheapest available in both my resale cars and my personal drivers.
Old 06-26-08, 06:59 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

use toyota red coolant. the chemicals in it were designed to match the metals used in toyota engines. they protect the metals from corrosion. each coolant is designed for a specific type of metal.
keep the thermostat. like everyone said, you need to have a good operating temperature, that's what the thermostat does, regulates temperature. too cold and you run rich. too hot, and well, everyone knows what happens then.
a high performance thermo. just opens at a lower temperature for high performance engine that create more heat than a normal engine. no need for one in a normal car.
another side effect of no thermostat is that you won't have any heat in teh winter!

water wetter works, but if you're not overheating and everything is functioning properly, why mess with it? cooler temps don't help anything really unelss you live in the desert.

Quick Reply: Types of Coolant, couple of related questions...