LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Choices - From LS 430 to LX 470

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-01, 02:32 PM
Phil
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choices - From LS 430 to LX 470

WOW! Had my heart set on the LS 430 with Custom Luxury, but we changed our minds and we are going for the '02 470. Hope we aren't making a mistake! We are retired and originally thought a LS430 would make a super nice car to travel in. But, then again, what if, while traveling around the U.S., we ran into really nasty weather?; a 4WD would be wonderful. Hope the 470 has the overall comfort of the 430. Any thoughts? Spending this much for a SUV is a little scarey, Lexus or not. I KNOW the car is great, because we bought a LS400 in '90 and loved it. Just don't know that much about the 470, except what I have read in reviews.

Any feed back would be welcomed.

P.S. Being as I am a "gadget" type guy, look forward to the NAV. Now that ought to be fun. Wife will love it because she will no longer be responsible for navigation duties!

Phil

ONE OTHER CONCERN: I have placed the order for the 470, but the dealer can't really say when one will become available. Apparently they go like hot cakes, so you can't be too picky about color, etc. I am looking at $62K, out the door. Anyone know where I could do better, or find a dealer who could locate one for me a little sooner than "several weeks"?

Thanks
Old 10-28-01, 03:00 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're not going like hot cakes. Maybe in your area, but not in the rest of the US. To address your concerns, the LX470 is first and foremost the world's ULTIMATE nothing-comes-close-not-even-the-Range-Rover luxury off-road machine. It's no LS430, but it IS the Lexus of SUVs, so that alone speaks volumes. I don't think you're making a mistake. Again, I wouldn't take your dealer's word as gospel. The problem isn't that they sell out quickly, it's just that there is obviously low demand, so they don't import many. Because of this, you will probably have to wait a little while for te color/options you want. If worse comes to worst, you can always go for a Land Crusher (Land Cruiser). It's not all that much different from the LX470....So: LS430 vs. LX470. Which one? In my book, either one would be an excellent choice. Follow your heart.

PS- I *think* the NAV system in the LX470 can play DVDs while you're driving (the NAV systems in the other Lexi don't allow this) so it doubles as an entertainment unit!
Old 10-29-01, 07:35 AM
woppenhe
Rookie

The SUV wave has crested and is heading down. The LS430 is *very* comfortable for long trips. Short ones too. No SUV will compare. Gas milage is also no comparsion. You will not get into all garages with the SUV. If you do a lot of camping and hauling, suv ok. For comfort and ease of driving go with the LS 430. As to going off road, etc., if you really do that on a regular basis, fine. But 99% don't. Simply rent one for the occasion, when it arises, and otherwise enjoy the LS430 all the rest of the time.
Old 10-29-01, 08:52 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

First, don't buy the Nav! Most of the DVD map resolution is given over to major cities. Outside of these cities you will have good resolution as long as you remain on major highways, venture off them (in an SUV, nah!) and it will not only not have the map resolution you need, it will "lie" (software design flaw) to you about its actual resolution so it can get you lost and then advise you that you're own your own. Get a highly detailed state map in every state.

Wife and I are leaving for eastern Oregon this week and we will be taking the RX300, becuase we fully expect to run into wintertime conditions somewhere along the way. While the kids were still at home we made 3 around the country 30+ days vacation trips, 6000 miles or more, one of these in the wintertime. All of these were in Ford country squire station wagons.

LX470 vs LS430 ???

I think if on my trip I were going to travel predominantly in the Northern states in the wintertime I would definitely go with the LX470. But you say you are retired. In that case I would buy the LS430, plan my travel only south of the snow belt in the wintertime, and wonder north in the summertime. And stay away from high montain passes altogether unless you carry a set of snowchains, can easily install them yourself, or have made doubly sure of the pass conditions.

Prior to being able to have my choice of vehicles to make these trips I always carried a set of tirechains for places like Montana (even in summer), or Wolf Creek pass near Denver in the wintertime.

The LX470 might be nice and comfortable, but nothing, and I do mean NOTHING, will surpass the LS430/as (air suspension) (or my 92 LS) for long distance driving comfort.

I assume you have read my note of CAUTION about the Lexus climate control system's propensity to suddenly fog over the windshield so, LX470 or LS430, be careful out there...
Old 11-02-01, 09:26 AM
Phil
Driver

Default Thanks All

Thanks everyone for your input. My '02 LX 470 will be delievered to my home on the 9th!! It is FULLY loaded and the out the door price was $62,070. Not that great, but I am happy. Look forward to getting this bad boy on the road.

I wasn't able to negotiate a price with a Lexus Dealer (they just wouldn't come off MSRP)! So, I went through a Discount Auto Broker - [URL=http://www.josemesa.com] . Don't necessarily mean to give him a plug, but he worked hard for me and came across with EXACTLY what I wanted. Recommend him, or any broker, if you can't deal with your Lexus Dealer.

Thanks Again. Will share some of my impressions in a couple of weeks! Phil