LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Simple Audio upgrade to 98 LS, will this work?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-06, 11:44 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Simple Audio upgrade to 98 LS, will this work?

Hey guys coming here for some advice.

First off I like the Stock stereo in my 98 LS. I works just fine, but I had a 07 GS350 for like 6 weeks then test drove a 07 IS350 and the stereos in those cars just sounds much better than mine and now have been feeling like I'm lacking some bass.

So the point is I'm not trying to have my car pounding the neighbors (I had a IASSCA competition system in my Honda CRX Si when I was a kid, so been there and done that). So I am just looking to pump some fresh new life into my stereo to satisfy me until I get a new car. Looking at 04 LS430's Ultras for maybe mid next year.

Anyways I just sent this email below to my service tech at JM Lexus. They do all my work and spoil me rotten. I have two Lexus and put 15k miles on each every year so I'm in there all the time for regular maintenance.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Friday, November 17, 2006 2:20 PM

To: 'JM Lexus Bill'

Subject: LS400 Stereo Question

Mr Bill

Hey have not heard from you. I guess you have figured it out. Well after riding in that GS and even test driving the new IS I'm starting to get the itch to upgrade the Stereo in my LS. I will keep the Stock Radio and door speaker just looking to add more bass and maybe more power the main speakers?

I need your help because different answers.

So below are my questions

1. Where is the Stereo Amplifier located in my car? Some sources say under the front passenger seat, others say in the trunk.

2. Can you find out if what the wiring diagram is for the stereo? What I need to know is what speaker wires are going into the Amp from the radio? Is it just 4 wires left right, front and left right rear, or is there a separate 5th wire for the sub?

I am looking at adding this Infinity powered Sub that also has a 4x50 watts amp build in. It has 4 inputs for front and rear L and R speakers. Then crosses over the bass to the Sub. This could be perfect for my car. I can mount it right where my stock sub is get more bass and send cleaner power to my mains. Its sounds simple in theory but nothing ever is.....Se the link below.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/P...=off&s=0&cc=01
Infinity BassLink II Expansion Package
BassLink II powered sub with 4-channel amplifier module

Hey last question, if I were to get this sub. Could Dave install it, even for a fee?

This will be a Christmas gift so no rush to get back with, just don't forget please.

By the way my car is just running awesome, thanks again for all your's and Dave's great work.

Jerry
Old 11-17-06, 11:50 AM
Alan D
Driver

I removed the stock sub on my 99 and added in 2 12's in a ported box, got a good deal on the box. Anyway, plenty of bass and a nice upgrade over stock, highly recommend adding a sub to this system. I'm going to build a box for a single 12 soon, just have to decide on what sub I want to buy.
Old 11-17-06, 12:53 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, if you don’t play music really high, you can always go into the secrete menu, and add more power to the Subwoofer.

I think you press 1 and 6 at the same time for a few seconds till it beeps and the display changes. Then hold AM for a few seconds, then toggle through the settings. The sub will be labeled "W". You have to restart the car, or take out the key, and put it back in for the options to take effect. (you can tweak other options to your liking, and if you don’t like it, set everything back to 0, which is stock level."

TIP: I've noticed a huge difference in bass when I put a heavy book on my sub shelf in the back. Try putting a book or two, and see if that makes a difference. When I did that, it I got enough bass for my taste, and didn’t really need to bother upgrading.
Old 11-17-06, 01:03 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Hey this sounds too cool "Secret Menu" I will try that as soon as I get out to my car tonight! Thanks

So the book idea, could it be we just need better bracing?

I will try both ideas and let you know!
Thanks
Jerry
Old 11-17-06, 03:38 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Grand

Hey sorry, but hold 1 and 6 down did nothing. I know you said "I think".
Old 11-18-06, 01:39 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by Horta
Grand

Hey sorry, but hold 1 and 6 down did nothing. I know you said "I think".
Sorry, try 1 and AM. (you have to hold both at the same time... leave it for a few seconds.

Wait... i think its 1+6+AM at the same time... give both a try.
Old 11-19-06, 07:33 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

Grand

You are teasing me now...I have tried all diferent combinations and so far no luck. You have a 98, can you try in yours?

Please help
Jerry
Old 11-19-06, 11:45 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Sorry, try 1 and AM. (you have to hold both at the same time... leave it for a few seconds.

Wait... i think its 1+6+AM at the same time... give both a try.
Is this for the Nak or the standard audio?
Old 11-19-06, 04:06 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by MadMax96
Is this for the Nak or the standard audio?
Standard Pioneer headunit only. We finally get something over the Nak guys
Old 11-19-06, 04:08 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

so which combination works
Old 11-19-06, 04:08 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Grand

You are teasing me now...I have tried all diferent combinations and so far no luck. You have a 98, can you try in yours?

Please help
Jerry
Sorry buddy, was working off memory. Let me find the thread for you from the GS forum.
Old 11-19-06, 04:13 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Ok found it...

For non NAV cars it appears that the diagnostic mode is set by pressing the CD key 3 times while holding down channel 1 or 6. Auto level or ASL must be on first. Then press the AM button for a few seconds or LW/MW button on some non US cars to get into the amplifier DSP mode. Note that I have no way to test this.
Here is the thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=56775&

You had to press CD 3 times before... thats what I totally forgot

Now try it.
Old 11-19-06, 04:16 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

i found this one
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=56775&

and this

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=165658

both show that you have to do this:

Originally Posted by girvan
I did a little research into the standard Pioneer audio system in my 98 GS400 after being inspired by some of the posts on putting video on the NAV screen and after trying to improve the stock speakers. What struck me was that the front door bass reflex enclosure was very carefully designed all the way down to the grill that redirects medium frequencies and the ducted bass port sealed to the door. Lexus has put a lot of acoustic intelligence into even the standard audio system despite the “transistor radio” comments here ( I used to work in broadcast audio studios) . The replacement 4 inch speakers I bought had much smaller magnets and seamed to be similar quality, tarted up with glossy cones and little additional quality so I left the original in place for now after hours of experimentation. I’ll probably change them later, but I decided to focus on the electronics first.

I had hacked the Pioneer amp about 4 years ago (not recommended) to increase Bass gain and replaced the woofer for a Boston Acoustics high efficiency woofer with a cast frame. Despite my adjustments I was never happy with bass response and had the EQ set to near max with as a poor compromise to get more sub bass yet over-drive the door speakers.

Getting to the point, I researched the amplifier and came across the service mode for the Pioneer amp via the NAV system – there is a similar adjustment for the non NAV cars. Here’s what you do:

Get into the NAV diagnostics mode (covered in these forums before) - hold the Climate and Audio controls while switching the parking lights on and off 3 or 4 times. This must be done immediately after tuning the key on. The new step is:

• Once the diagnostics auto test completes, press the menu key on the touch screen, then hold the AM button for 5 second until it beeps.

• The display will now show “Audio”

• The TAPE button toggles through F, R and W for Front, Rear and Woofer. The UP DOWN button can set these from 0 to -80 dBs.

• The FM button toggles between P1, P2 and L, where P1 and P2 are equalizer frequency settings and L is the overall level from 0 to -20 dBs. I haven’t figure out what the equalizer setting do exactly.

• The setting appears to be non volatile so switching the ignition off keeps the values. I now have a system that is much closer to my preferences with the controls flat – always a good place to be. Happy tweaking.

For non NAV cars it appears that the diagnostic mode is set by pressing the CD key 3 times while holding down channel 1 or 6. Auto level or ASL must be on first. Then press the AM button for a few seconds or LW/MW button on some non US cars to get into the amplifier DSP mode. Note that I have no way to test this.

I also have no idea what happens with a DVD NAV car.

Of additional note is that the audio system has alls sort of features not used including MD, DAT, rear seat TV, rear control and adjustable length antenna depending on what FM frequency is used! These appear to be for non US markets. UK cars have a telescopic antenna.
Old 11-20-06, 05:38 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

Hey this worked perfectly, thank you.

I will update later.
Old 11-20-06, 06:04 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Hey this worked perfectly, thank you.

I will update later.
ahh, its not working

what combination did you use?

Quick Reply: Simple Audio upgrade to 98 LS, will this work?