LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How rare are fully loaded LS400s?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-06, 07:06 AM
LS400.1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How rare are fully loaded LS400s?

gonna try to sell it on ebay......

Last edited by LS400.1; 11-13-06 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-25-06, 10:40 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dont think it is all too rare, however it may be fully loaded. here are the specs for '98....

- The LS400 Series IV debuts with many improvements.
- Redesigned front end. Changes to the hood, fenders, grille, front bumper, and front lights.
- Discharge headlight became standard equipment on Canadian models and optional equipment for US models.
- Slightly refined rear lights.
- Outer rearview mirror was changed to reduce wind noise.
- Wheels were redesigned and now have 5 spokes.
- A retractable headrest was added to the rear center seat.
- Another rear personal light was added to the rear quarter pillar area.
- A leather & wood steering wheel and wood shifter were introduced as optional equipment.
- VVT-i (variable valve timing-intelligent) system and the ACIS (acoustic control induction system) was adopted in the 1UZ-FE engine to improve fuel economy, improve performance, and reduce emissions. ETCS-i (electronic throttle control system) was also added to ensure excellent controllability of the vehicle and improve its comfort. Worlds first production V8 engine with VVT-i.
- 290 hp @ 6000 rpm and 300 ft-lbs of torque @ 4000 rpm.
- The 4-speed automatic transmission was replaced by a 5-speed transmission.
- Propeller shaft was slightly changed.
- The differential gear ratio was reduced to improve fuel economy. 2 mounts were used on both the front and rear of the differential to further reduce vibration and noise.
- The VSC (Vehicle Skid Control) system was added.
- Suspension and brakes slightly revised.
- The hydraulic circuit of the power steering system changed.
- More work on the body and sound dampening material to further reduce vibration and noise.
- An automatic headlight beam level control system was added to models with HID headlights.
- A headlight off delay system was added to keep the headlights on for a set period of time after occupants exit the car.
- A multi-information display was added to the instrument cluster to display vehicle data and warnings. The design of the shift indicator was changed.
- An automatic recirculation system was added to automatically switch the air inlet mode in accordance with the level of concentration of harmful elements in the air.
- An all-door one-touch auto up and down function was added.
- A jam protection function was added to prevent a person's hand or other object from becoming caught in the door window.
- A function to operate all windows was added to the door lock remote control.
- Changes were made to the engine immobiliser system. The starter cutoff function was discontinued. The theft deterrent system was slightly changed.
- The construction and operation of the inflator for the front passenger air bag was changed.
- A garage door opener was added to the map lamp area.
- A seat belt warning for the front passenger was added. The display method for the seat belt warning system changed from the illumination type to the flashing type.
- A navigation system was offered for the first time as an option.
- Some changes to the audio system. A diversity rear window imprinted antenna system started to be used.
- Top speed = 149 mph; 0-60 = 6.3 seconds; 0-400m = 14.9 seconds.

can check here for more info. http://www.lexls.com/info/lsgenerations.html
Old 10-25-06, 01:54 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

You actually do have a rare car, pretty rare. Ive only seen a couple with navi AND A/S.
Old 10-25-06, 03:14 PM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think a "fully loaded" LS400 is rare at all. I'd guess that a bare bones LS400 is much more rare.

We saw a 1991 with a cloth interior, no sunroof, and the original oem wheels at the dealership a month or so back. Car had more than 200K miles on the odo. The owner said that the car was his mother's before she passed and that it's been in the family ever since. No problems (other than normal wear and tear) to speak of.
Old 10-25-06, 04:47 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

I have to assume that air suspension on the 98-00 LS400 is very rare. None of the 2000 LS400's I looked at in 2003 had it. Neither of the two 99 LS400's in the company parking lot have A/S. My 2000 LS doesn't have it but I specified no A/S when I searched for it. When walking through grocery store, etc. parking lots I sometime detour to check out LS400s and LS430.

Over a 16 year period, I don't remember ever seeing an LS400 of any year with air suspension. I think I have seen only one 98-00 with nav and that was in Phoenix a couple of years ago. I've seen lots of LS430's with nav -- but only one "Ultra" LS430 with air suspension.

Maybe its a regional thing -- maybe we in the Kansas City area are too poor to buy all the toys!
Old 10-25-06, 05:40 PM
yasir
Rookie

Having the air susp could be a problem too and i am not to fond of it either,the more the gadgets the more the headache...any way PM sent...

Last edited by yasir; 10-25-06 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-25-06, 06:06 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Rare...Yes
Fully Loaded.....Yes

Worth a useable premium in the market......prolly not
Old 10-25-06, 06:36 PM
LS400.1
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Rare...Yes
Fully Loaded.....Yes

Worth a useable premium in the market......prolly not
How about this, it's black on black too but seriously, I realized that as I was looking at M5s. M5 options (rear sunshade, PDC, active seats, etc) didn't really contribute to the sales price of the car, but those 'fully loaded' M5s did attract alot more interest from potential buyers.

So for me whether it has a significant premium over other cars doesn't matter to me as much as the appeal factor. Personally, with all else being equal, I know I'd much rather have 'fully loaded' LS400 over a 'well equipped' one.
Old 10-25-06, 08:15 PM
Alan D
Driver

My brother's 98 LS has the nav system, think they started that mid year, someone can correct me on that. I believe you do have a somewhat rare car but I don't think the term rare will sell it, the fact that it has all of the toys is what most people will find really nice about it. Cool color combo too. I love the black interiors and you don't see a lot of them.
Old 10-25-06, 08:44 PM
jermdogg
Driver School Candidate

Mine is black on black and that helped to convince me to buy it. Not many black on black...

Beware of the BMW reliablilty...something you will probably get used to moving from Lexus. But, that is probably something I'm sure you are aware of...

Besides...M5...mmmmmmm =)
Old 10-25-06, 10:54 PM
blange400
Driver

Your A/s is rare, Wood Wheel in 98 is rare.

I just finished going round the car world after losing my 1st LS in a wreck.
I had a Q45, and SC400 and others. Wife bought a 99 LS, and I realized I should have stayed with the LS, I came back to the LS400 with a 2000 Platinum SF I bought this weekend..

I think you should get yourself a 2000 without a/s (its expensive to repair), and live the dream. The M5 sounds cool, but day to day life, you may find you miss the pure quality and engineering of the LS. How thinngs look on paper is one thing , real life day to day , is another.

Best wishes
Old 10-26-06, 12:14 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

the 2nd gen Air Suspension was decently improved over the first gen and seems to be worth it especially if u plan on lowering the car since there are aftermarket air controllers which in some cases can give you full FBSS capability.
Old 10-26-06, 09:44 AM
LS400.1
Rookie

I have to admit, I LOVE OE air suspension! I have driven the LS all over the country and it has handled beautifully over all sorts of pavement. I really do think it's a vast improvement over the OE strut setup.

Nowadays, even if a shock or two fails it can be replaced by the lifetime Arnott units for a very reasonable price. Plus, given the coilover and strut-swap options out there I don't really think it's a concern that should worry anybody anymore.