LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Apexi Air Filter inside Standard airbox

Old 10-13-06, 09:53 PM
richonenz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apexi Air Filter inside Standard airbox

Finally finished the S/S mount , a bit tricky , goes from a square to a 300 mm round and then a flat plate welded to that .
Has certainly made the car crisper and no doubt added a bit to the HP .
It has also added 40 to 50 K's a tankful around town , even my wife commented that it's crisper , not to mention that I will save heaps by not doing a new $35.00 filter every 3 mths !!
Very , very pleased .
Attached Images  
Old 10-14-06, 11:13 AM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

better shield that with card board or foam, otherwise you'll get a lot of heat soak = loss of power
Old 10-14-06, 01:54 PM
richonenz
Pole Position

Oh dear !!
The normal airbox cover goes back on so that it is completely as standard with the front fed cold air intake .
Old 10-14-06, 02:35 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Make sure that excess oil from the filter does not take out your AFM.

Karman Vortex flow meters with their piezoelectric elements are very intolerant to such debris.
Old 10-14-06, 02:40 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by richonenz
Finally finished the S/S mount , a bit tricky , goes from a square to a 300 mm round and then a flat plate welded to that .
Has certainly made the car crisper and no doubt added a bit to the HP .
It has also added 40 to 50 K's a tankful around town , even my wife commented that it's crisper , not to mention that I will save heaps by not doing a new $35.00 filter every 3 mths !!
Very , very pleased .
That is nice. I used to use a heat shield (you can find the photos on page 6 of my car domain site below) that I make out of a cooking pot.

Great look.
Old 10-14-06, 04:53 PM
richonenz
Pole Position

Right guys , that IS NOT an oil impregnated filter , IT IS DRY , it is an Apexi filter , probably the only pod filter to run , as it not only flows better , BUT it also filters as well as a standard filter !!!!
I have seen the filtering tests , as far as I'm aware it's the only aftermarket filter that filters as well as the standard filter , all of the others are either oil impregnated type filters or they let more air in as well as lots of other stuff ... IE: they don't filter very well .
I'll post up some of the filter paper shots that they used to see how well the pod filters filtered .
I could have taken a shot of the air box with the standard cover on , but then of course you would not have seen the APEXI filter !!
The whole idea was to see if I could mount the Apexi inside the standard airbox , just like the standard filter to avoid having to build fibreglass box's or doing headlight shroud cutting and such , the idea behind this mod was to increase the mileage a bit and to get away from the expense of replacing the filter every 3 mths at $35.00 a pop , some extra HP was just a bonus , no way was I going to run a filter , any filter that damages the Karmen Vortex [ an oil type filter ] or one that lets more crud in , I have been sucessful in this and that makes me very satisfied , I will be slightly modding the mount so that it sits more central but that's just detail , a little bit more angle both in and down .
Old 10-14-06, 09:37 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by richonenz
Right guys , that IS NOT an oil impregnated filter , IT IS DRY , it is an Apexi filter , probably the only pod filter to run , as it not only flows better , BUT it also filters as well as a standard filter !!!!
I have seen the filtering tests , as far as I'm aware it's the only aftermarket filter that filters as well as the standard filter , all of the others are either oil impregnated type filters or they let more air in as well as lots of other stuff ... IE: they don't filter very well .
I'll post up some of the filter paper shots that they used to see how well the pod filters filtered .
I could have taken a shot of the air box with the standard cover on , but then of course you would not have seen the APEXI filter !!
The whole idea was to see if I could mount the Apexi inside the standard airbox , just like the standard filter to avoid having to build fibreglass box's or doing headlight shroud cutting and such , the idea behind this mod was to increase the mileage a bit and to get away from the expense of replacing the filter every 3 mths at $35.00 a pop , some extra HP was just a bonus , no way was I going to run a filter , any filter that damages the Karmen Vortex [ an oil type filter ] or one that lets more crud in , I have been sucessful in this and that makes me very satisfied , I will be slightly modding the mount so that it sits more central but that's just detail , a little bit more angle both in and down .
can we get a pic of the mount itself pls?
Old 10-14-06, 10:06 PM
richonenz
Pole Position

Yes I will post up a pic of the mount itself , at the moment that's the only one I have and it's in the car , will be modding it slightly , adding about 3 degrees more to the angle cut in both planes , that means the filter will point down a little bit more and will also point towards the front of the car a bit more , already have orders for 3 more and when I do the final mod will be making a jig so that I can reproduce it more easily and exactly .
The first rectangle and round plates were hand fabricated , they will now be laser cut , will take some pics this comming week .
heres a shot of the filtering ability of the Apexi filter .
Attached Thumbnails Apexi Air Filter inside Standard airbox-filter-comparo-11.jpg  
Old 10-14-06, 10:36 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

just out of curiousity, is this the type of intake you used?
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-UNIVERSAL-JD...QQcmdZViewItem
UNIVERSAL JDM APEXI POWER INTAKE AIR FILTER

Old 10-14-06, 11:11 PM
richonenz
Pole Position

Yep that's the one .
Old 10-15-06, 01:31 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Nicely done!!
Old 10-17-06, 11:30 AM
VSSH
Driver

do you have a pic of the mount used to mount the new intake.
Old 10-24-06, 06:37 PM
d1drift
Driver School Candidate

pics of mount please
Old 10-25-06, 04:19 AM
richonenz
Pole Position

It's coming guys , I'm right in the middle of buying a house so I'm kinda a bit preoccupied at the moment !!
Old 11-04-06, 01:21 PM
richonenz
Pole Position

Have now made up a jig to reproduce the filter mount , some pic's
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Apexi Air Filter inside Standard airbox