LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Need Help - Fan/Fan Pulley loose??????

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-06, 08:45 AM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help - Fan/Fan Pulley loose??????

I just took a trip to Vegas this past weekend and when I got close to home and was at a stop light I noticed an odd noise coming from under the hood. So I looked under the hood and noticed the fan (not the electric ones) was kind of moving around. As the serpintine belt was spinning it looked like it was loose. Does anyone have a clue as what it could be??? Could that pulley that is attached to the fan have come loose???

Not sure if it has anything to do with it....but my cruise control also went out about an hour outside of town as well. After I disengaged the cruise and then tried to put it on again.....no light....no nothing.

Thoughts?????

Old 08-28-06, 10:17 AM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Well....I did some searching on here and read some things about fan clutches and also about replacing the entire fan assembly. Is the pulley moving around a sign of a bad fan clutch or is it something else......

PLEASE HELP
Old 08-28-06, 12:29 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

It seemed like the temp was normal on the gage. I was consistantly driving 70-80mph most of the way so that probably helped keeping the temp down.

What about the pulley moving around???
Old 08-28-06, 02:06 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Now that you mentioned that.....let me throw this out there cause it may have something to do with there not being enough tension on the serpintine belt. I noticed when I bought the car and when I am turning the steering wheel while it is stopped it feels like the power steering is slipping. sounds and feels like the tires are rubbing in the fender but they are not. Now here is the questions....if there wasn't enough tension on the serpintine belt, could the power steering pump be "slipping cause the serpintine belt isn't fully turning the PS pump??? What do ya think??? The tensioner might be the issue considering the additional issue I have been having. Maybe after this 600 mile trip...it finally took a poop.
Old 08-28-06, 02:07 PM
alsalih
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clutch fan is the name of the non-electric main fan you’re talking about. The looseness your describing is actually from the pulley the clutch fan attaches to, called a clutch fan mount bracket. The bearing in this bracket will wear over time leading to the noted looseness and noise. Common wear item on older/high mileage LS.
Old 08-28-06, 02:16 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by alsalih
Clutch fan is the name of the non-electric main fan you’re talking about. The looseness your describing is actually from the pulley the clutch fan attaches to, called a clutch fan mount bracket. The bearing in this bracket will wear over time leading to the noted looseness and noise. Common wear item on older/high mileage LS.
Got quoted 300-400 for the fix if its one of those. Sound about right??? Now I am questioning the belt tensioner potential issue.
Old 08-28-06, 03:48 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If it is a fan bracket support bearing, you will not make a 600 mile round trip.
16307-50011 was the Toyota part # for my 94 LS. Mine gave some audible clues before giving up the ghost at 172,000 miles.

I can't give a cost estimate since I went ahead & did the TB and some other maintenance while it was down. I think that you can wiggle a fan clutch a bit to diagnose that it is going bad. The fan bracket bearing is not accessible. I did punch my old one out with a hydraulic press (it is a big bearing!!) but I do not believe there is a replacement available. Mine was split in two length wise & sounded like a salt shaker.

The four bolts holding your fan/fan clutch assembly spin by this bearing.

Last edited by damon; 08-29-06 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-30-06, 10:09 AM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Well here is the deal.......Please let me know if this is a fair deal. Seems like it is but I am kind of curious now.

Shop says it is the FanClutch Bracket which is a $350 part. They mentioned to me that since they are digging into that area and the timing belt is due very shorty that it would be only 2 more hours of labor to do the TB. So long story short......

$1255 for:

Timing Belt
Fan Clutch Bracket
Water Pump
installed

I know its not a GREAT deal but is it in the ballpark of what should be paid???
Old 08-30-06, 12:02 PM
alsalih
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok so it was the clutch fan mount bracket after all. The bracket retails for $215 NOT $350, so they've got a pretty good mark up there. I tend to agree to do the rest of the work however they're prices are equal to or greater then the dealer (I'm assuming this is an independent shop), so your better off just getting it done at the dealer and getting a nice loaner at the same time. Plus if you do decide to do it you should seriously consider replacing the 2 cam seals, one crank seal, and the timing belt idler and tensioner pulley. That way you have nothing to worry about for at least another 100K miles.
Old 08-30-06, 01:22 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Those parts prices are high. I don't think I paid over $200.00 for mine.

If you are not embarking on a road trip an or have time, order your parts from a cheaper source. Yes you do want to go ahead & do the TB et al.

Last edited by damon; 10-10-06 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-30-06, 01:26 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Taking the additional cost of the part out....Is this a fair deal?? It would be like Im getting the Timing belt (and water pump) done for $850-$950 if I take the bracket out of the equation.
Old 10-02-06, 09:49 PM
lorenzo816
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I'm there too.

16307-50011

this part put my wife over the edge.
She almost wanted to can the Lex.
I couldn't believe it.

SO in a furry and making my impatient mechanic pissed off...
I located a couple other sources than the dealer.
(no other import part company in town had one - Lexus wanted $240)

Found one from Texas - I think they are a sponsor here - for $190
and a few more for around $250.
Then Ryan from IronToad.com called me and I'm golden.
Even got him to ship the part to the shop.

So I guess 8-950 for what you got is high since - I'm throwing in a AC retro-fit too!

Last edited by lorenzo816; 10-02-06 at 09:50 PM. Reason: wrong words
Old 10-02-06, 11:04 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Default Toyota Part

For clarification we should call part # 16307-50011 by the same name
Toyota does: fan bracket support

While the fan clutch does mount to it, it is a different part w a different #.

What I meant by inaccesible was that there is no wiggle test to check the bearing in this bracket as it is very solidly connected to the engine block.
Old 10-03-06, 05:31 AM
lorenzo816
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default fan clutch

Yeah these are different.
ANd I used to have a part number for the Fan Clutch.
You can buy one most anywhere for around 100-165.

Here is a pic:

Anyone with a part number please list it for the group.

Oh! Also as soon as someone gets a pic of the Fan Bracket, please post that too.
I don't have one, and probably wont be at the shop to get a pciture of the new one before it goes on the car.

Last edited by lorenzo816; 10-03-06 at 05:32 AM. Reason: more text
Old 10-03-06, 07:26 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

I used an $80.00 Hayden #2656

Quick Reply: Need Help - Fan/Fan Pulley loose??????