LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

A/C retrofit & recharge

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-06, 08:33 AM
rangell
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C retrofit & recharge

I got an estimate of over $500 to retrofit and recharge the A/C on a 91 LS400 (4L 32-valve V8). I can buy a DIY kit for about $40. Has anyone tried this? If so, where can I find the low and high pressure side fittings?
Old 06-18-06, 08:47 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For the money and possible danger involved, I would let a qualified person do this. Afterall, with them you get a warranty. I have a 92 LS which has been retrofitted and recharged but I had a mechanic friend of mine do it for me. First, you hiave to discharge all of the remianing R-12 from the system (illegal to discharge into the open air for DIY people), install the new fittings and then refill the system. If you don't know what you are doing, please don't take the risk. I had heard many horror stories and have even had a friend close to me nearly blow his head off after trying this himself, not knowing what he was doing, and have the canister explode. That little canister is like having a live grenade in your hands and is nothing to be played with. If you insist on DIY, please make sure you use a pressure gauge, the correct fittings and ask for help if needed. The low side is on the passenger side under hood close to the firewall, the high side is right behind the front grill, near the passenger side headlight. Change both Hi and Low side fittings only after the system is completely empty, and then refill LOW SIDE ONLY!!!!!! Again, I really advise against DIY for this as it can be dangerous and many things can go wrong, such as you messing up you AC, or worse even yourself. Please take this advice into consideration, and make a reasonable decision. The job is not really hard, just highly risky for someone who is not familiar with what they are doing.

Oh and to answer your question, I have used those kits to recharge mine before I had mine converted over. I am not unfamiliar with charging systems, just not too confident. For me, they were only good for about 1 week and then needed to be charged again. Problem eventually tracked to loose valve fitting. I would never have thought to check.

Last edited by trukn1; 06-18-06 at 08:52 AM.