LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Occasional starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-06, 08:00 AM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Occasional starting problem

Occasionally when I go to start the car, it acts as if I just barely blipped the starter. Then if I go back and turn the key to start again, it starts right up. It cranks very quickly and the battery appears to be fairly new, so I don't think its the culprit. Thoughts?

Scott
Old 05-07-06, 10:50 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Thats what my starter was doing before it went out. How long has this been happening?
Except mine did it only like 4 or 5 times before it went out.
Old 05-07-06, 11:43 AM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem in my previous car. When i turned the key, the engine didn't turn on, it just made a clicking noise. After trying a few times, it would start. The problem was an old distributor cap. Does your's make a clicking noise?

Originally Posted by sonyman
Occasionally when I go to start the car, it acts as if I just barely blipped the starter. Then if I go back and turn the key to start again, it starts right up. It cranks very quickly and the battery appears to be fairly new, so I don't think its the culprit. Thoughts?

Scott
Old 05-07-06, 03:43 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

As far as I know it doesn't make a clicking noise. It just acts as if I barely blipped the starter. It's been doing it since I've owned the car (approx 1 week).

Scott
Old 05-08-06, 11:14 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Sounds like a starter issue.

If the battery checks out fine and the alternator is charging, it's likely the starter. While the actuator can be fixed, it's simplier to buy a whole starter and replace it. Mine lasted till 80K miles.
Old 05-14-06, 06:45 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There was a technical service bulletin issued regarding the copper assembly of the starter - Electrical problems. It was like my battery was dead or something. I had mine replaced a few years ago and the dealer paid for it even though it was out of warranty - you can always ask!
Old 05-14-06, 07:43 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

What exactly does the dealer replace when they do the fix? Is the dealer obligated to fix this for free when the vehicle is out of warranty? I asked the dealership that I bought the car from whether or not the recall had been done on it and he told me it hadn't, since I came across the same information as you when I researched it.

Scott
Old 05-18-06, 02:51 PM
RODDMOD
Rookie

What exactly does the dealer replace when they do the fix? Is the dealer obligated to fix this for free when the vehicle is out of warranty? I asked the dealership that I bought the car from whether or not the recall had been done on it and he told me it hadn't, since I came across the same information as you when I researched it.

Heaven forbid you might have to spend some money on your LEXUS, I wish you had a Cadillac so you could really feel it.
Old 05-18-06, 03:45 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

You don't know anything about my finances so please think before posting. A starter replacement can easily cost close to $1000 so I'd like to be pretty darn sure what the problem is before tossing money left and right. Now, I do have a warranty on the car but that was very costly, as well as having a $100 deductable, so it's very beneficial to have a darn good idea about which part has failed before filing a claim.

Scott

edit: Apparently RODDMOD's posts have been deleted. It was he to whom I was replying.

Last edited by sonyman; 05-18-06 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-05-06, 06:07 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Scott,

Just trying to offer perspective. The dealer replaced the starter - said the copper wiring inside was not correct (reason for TSB). I was going to have to spend $500 however the dealer ate it and did it for free. I checked all other avenues before taking it in (battery, alternator, etc.).
Old 06-05-06, 06:16 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Scott, from the symptoms you describe, it truly does sound like the starter is about to go. If possible, have fixed soon as when it goes there will literally be no warning.
Old 06-06-06, 09:07 AM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry I didn't update--it was the starter. I had it replaced by my mechanic and all is well.

Scott
Old 06-07-06, 10:31 AM
Lexushead
Driver

How much did it cost you, if you don't mind?
Old 06-07-06, 12:49 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

It cost me ~$200 because I have a service contract. The insurer paid ~$600. It carries a $100 deductible which I would have only had to pay except they weren't willing to pay for gaskets and a Lexus brand starter--only Carquest/Napa/cheapo junk so I had to pay the difference.

Scott
Old 06-07-06, 10:15 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sonyman
It cost me ~$200 because I have a service contract. The insurer paid ~$600. It carries a $100 deductible which I would have only had to pay except they weren't willing to pay for gaskets and a Lexus brand starter--only Carquest/Napa/cheapo junk so I had to pay the difference.

Scott

Good call. I've replaced mine a month or two ago, and it wasnt too much fun.

Quick Reply: Occasional starting problem