LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Shifter and Radio Lock

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-06, 08:19 PM
meridianh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter and Radio Lock

Greetings,

My aunt's 1995 LS400 wouldn't crank over so she called Triple A and they messed up the battery when trying to charge. The battery is only a year old and the battery is dead and also found out the fuse for the alternator blew (possibly the guy mixed up the +/- when hooking up when charging). I replaced the battery and the fuse and now the engine cranks over is running. Now the shifter is locked and all the interior electronics aren't working (radio, air, power locks, etc). As for the shifter locked, I see there is a slot in front of the shifter. Can someone advise the procedure to unlock the shifter (ie. do I put in the master key in that slot and press the brakes and it will release? Also, does the switch needs to be in position 2, etc). As for the radio (do I need a code from Lexus to unlock the radio)? As for the controls for the air/heat and power lock not working, any idea what happened?

TIA!
Old 05-02-06, 08:27 PM
meridianh
Driver School Candidate

Just found out another fuse needs to be replaced. It's a large fuse (White) with encoding "B-2" on the bottom (I will need to wait until tomorrow to get to the dealer). Could this be the cause of the interior electronics not working? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!
Old 05-02-06, 08:42 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Any of the larger fuses that are blown are going to affect the car/electronics as a whole. That might just be the problem (blown fuse). These larger fuses run most of the major components in the car. If you can physically remove/replace the fuses yourself then I would do so and save yourself some money. To my understanding, the only way to truly lock the radio is to enter a code and never enter it again (forgot). Never really locked my radio so not sure. If radio still will not work after everything back to normal, then you will have to get dealer to break code to unlock for you. Hopes this helps a little.
Old 05-03-06, 06:47 AM
meridianh
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. Hoping to replace the fuse today. Regarding shifter lock, can someone advise how the key slot by the shifter works?

TIA!
Old 05-03-06, 06:56 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

The AAA guy blew the main fuse when he switch polarity. No need to buy from the dealer. The fuse is available in every auto store for about $2.50.

Also, there is no lock code for the radio. Your only problem is the main fuse. Once you change it, the entire car will come back to life. Right now, the car is running off mainly on battery power, and the alternator is not charging. Soon the car will die again.

To unlock the shifter, you have to remove that little plastic northwest of the P mark on the shifter. Once removed, use the tip of the screw driver to press it down, and then you can move the gear freely.

I suggest just getting that fuse if you can use another car. It will cure everything, this happend to my friend many times.

Last edited by GRAND_LS 4; 05-03-06 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-03-06, 11:41 AM
Luxury_LEX
Driver

I had the same/similar problem with my 94, had the lexus dealership fix it.