ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000-183/)
-   -   ECT Button (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/213337-ect-button.html)

elenz 04-25-06 06:37 PM

ECT Button

Ok, first off I usually don't notice much difference when I have the car in ECT in "power" mode...like sometimes I can tell theres a slight difference, and I do like it better than with it in normal mode. However, I've heard that it will cause the MPG to drop significantly if you leave in on all the time, is this true? I have a hard time believing it...because like I said, the performance doesn't seem very much enhanced at all. On the other hand, if it doesn't cause poor gas mileage, I would be up for leaving it on just because without it...the car is pretty sluggish.

Kansas 04-25-06 06:57 PM

I had a 90 LS for nearly 14 years. Auto mag road tests of the early LS400 found absolutely no difference in acceleration times between ECT and Normal. Their tests were mainly for maximum acceleration such as over a quarter mile and to top speed.

I kept track of every single gallon of gas that went into my 90 LS and the mpg yielded over 183,500 miles. I found no difference in mpg between ECT and Normal..

GRAND_LS 4 04-26-06 01:36 AM

I dunno, as strange as it sounds, i got better MPG with my ECT in POWER mode. Shifts the tranny quicker.

denverdog 04-26-06 09:02 AM

my understanding is that the ect mode just raisies by a little bit the shift point for each gear, thereby keeping the engine winding up a little higher in each gear, giving you a little faster acceleration. i've never noticed a big difference.

biglexass 04-26-06 09:05 AM

i noticce alot of differnce.the car has a better throttle response.and its much faster and responds rreally nice.

KU Lex 04-27-06 09:44 AM

I too notice a difference between the two settings. I enjoy the Power setting because it really cuts the sluggish feeling in the acceleration. Does anyone know if it just changes the tranny settings or also possibly the fuel injection as well or something? But you should feel quite a difference, I do. if the gas mileage is close in the two settings then we should always keep it on. Another point is that if you drive an LS400 with its big-ass V8, you problably arent too concerned with gas milage.

Lexkost 04-27-06 10:19 AM

ECT = electroniclly controlled transmission................The trans adjust to your driving conditions....The ECT switch makes trans shift at a higer rpm..........so if you want your car to be faster you can do a simple reprogram , but you must rework the air intake to get the trans gains.

elenz 04-27-06 02:06 PM

Well actually I care a lot about the MPG all the sudden now that premium is well over $3.00 a gallon in my city....but thanks for all the response. I think next time I fill up, I'll just push the button and leave it on for the whole tank, see if it makes a difference. I doubt it would cause the engine to wear any faster, do you all?

Lextreme90 04-27-06 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lexkost
ECT = electroniclly controlled transmission................The trans adjust to your driving conditions....The ECT switch makes trans shift at a higer rpm..........so if you want your car to be faster you can do a simple reprogram , but you must rework the air intake to get the trans gains.

What do you mean by rework the air intake? I have read a lot about changing the air intake on the LS's and have found that it does not appear to make any real performance difference. The only difference that I have read is that you can hear the intake more

What have you done and what kind of performance gains have you noticed?

biglexass 04-27-06 04:20 PM

ya i would like to know also.if you can explain

clean95 04-27-06 05:51 PM

do the intake mod makes ur car sound mean like a v8 is to suppose to!!!!

sonyman 04-27-06 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by clean95
do the intake mod makes ur car sound mean like a v8 is to suppose to!!!!

Exhaust is better at accomplishing that.

Scott