LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1/2 way through TB job, have ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-06, 05:39 PM
sahtt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2 way through TB job, have ?'s

I have made some good progress and have looked back at the write-up on lexls when I got stuck. This is for a 91 LS4.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html is the write-up.

1). I can't get the right timing cover off that covers the bottom half of the right distributor. I removed all the bolts but the wiring that goes through it is confusing the hell out of me. I removed the sensor but the write-up doesn't give any clues as to how this is supposed to come off. It's like you'd have to pull the sensor [attatched to wire that goes through it] through the cover or somethign. It got late so I closed the hood for tonight and will start tomorrow morning.

2). Where exactly are the cam seals? When I remove the cam pulleys will they be visible? I'm definitely getting leaks from there because both lower bolts on the timing belt covers for the cams are wet with oil. It'll probably be self-explanatory once it gets taken apart but I like to know what to expect.

Pretty easy so far, but resembling it will be a major PITA I suspect. Lastly, anyone know a good strategy in getting an 8mm HEX? I already bought almost 200.00 in tools for this job since I gave my old ones to my brother, and don't want to buy a whole kit. No sears hardwares within 100 miles, and already searched Autozone, Home Depot, and Lowe's. In Austin, TX btw.

Last edited by sahtt; 01-13-06 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-14-06, 10:11 AM
sahtt
Rookie

figured the TB cover out.. cut out the grommot the wiring was going through and it left a precut hole in the plastic that the sensor could fit through. I guess I'll just keep taking things apart until I see a part that resembles the cam seal I bought.
Old 01-15-06, 01:33 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sahtt
figured the TB cover out.. cut out the grommot the wiring was going through and it left a precut hole in the plastic that the sensor could fit through. I guess I'll just keep taking things apart until I see a part that resembles the cam seal I bought.
No need to cut the grommet as it was designed to be removed easily.
Remove the cam pulley, then the shield plate then voila, the seal.
Old 01-15-06, 02:05 PM
sahtt
Rookie

Thanks for the tip, the grommet was hardened but that was probably its original purpose. The cam pulley moves when I try to put torque on it, as does the crank pulley. Presently I'm trying to figure out what tool(s) I need to solve this problem. On my 300zx, I just stuck the flywheel but didn't need to remove the cam seals. Any help is appreicated. I'm thinking of getting something like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Camsh...spagenameZWDVW
even though I forsee it being extremely difficult to use by myself in conjunction with the breaker bar.