LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Looking at buying a 1991 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-05, 12:48 AM
Joshwa
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at buying a 1991 LS400

Hey Lexus owners!

I’m looking at buying an absolutely mint as 1991 Australian delivered LS400; unfortunately it has 190,000kays on the clock, roughly 118,060miles? It’s serviced regularly and comes with books. What sort of things should I look at very close? What issues may arise with a higher miles car like this? I’ve read these motors are very strong, what major things could happen at miles like this? I assume a major service will be coming up at the 200,000kay mark? What does the major service include? Timing belt? And rough price?

As I said before the car has been nothing but taken care of, complete new leather re trim at a cost of $8000 Australian in a similar light tan colour to factory, mild exhaust system and a competition sound system, not that they add value though..

All you help would be great.
Old 12-21-05, 08:53 AM
mmccutchin
Rookie

Default Be Prepared!

Relatively new owner of 1993 LS400 (164K) here. . .paid USD $5,600. . .body of my car was in great shape. . .but LOTS of deferred maintenance. . .I've already added USD $3K to get this beauty in A-1 condition. . .and much to my disappoint. . .I'm not done yet!

If I had it to do over again I would have just paid USD $10-15K and purchased a SECOND GENERATION (about 1995-1999) LS400 with lower mileage. . .as time has proven, Lexus had some problems with the FIRST GENERATION (1990-1994) models that were addressed in the second generation models.

(BTW, I used to own a 1992 ES300. . .same thing could be said about the ES as it was launched in 1992. . .the second generation models were better made, fewer problems with them, etc.)

Also. . .from an economic standpoint. . .unless this is truly a labor of love for you, or money's no object. . .you are PLAYING WITH FIRE when dealing with cars approaching 200K or more. Believe me. . .there are A LOT of expensive things that can go wrong. . .here's a few that I've just learned about from my car only 5-6 weeks into ownership:

1. Sagging front seats (needs new foam): USD $838 quote from an upholstery shop
2. "Black smudging" look on LCD climate control/clock: USD $440 quote (incl. new LCD kit)
3. Loud clicking noise in front seat - damaged seat frame or worn out lumbar support: USD $2,000 to replace
4. Loud vibration noise/feel when driving 0-40 MPH - worn engine mounts - USD $648 quote.
5. Leaking in R&P underportion of car - USD $836 quote.

Total: About USD $4,800!

(BTW, NONE of these price quotes are from a dealer. . .here in the SF/Bay Area. . .dealer labor rates are about USD $150/hour. . .versus about USD $85-90/hour with independents. You don't save much on parts with independents. . .and you have to watch them like hawks because they may "tell" you they will use genuine Toyota/Lexus parts. . .but when times are tight they may not. . .and how would you know?)

Things to consider:

*Are you mechanically skilled? Could you do much of your own work, or, if not, do you know enough to know when someone is yanking your chain and/or doesn't know what they're doing, etc?

*Have you reviewed the service records for this car? The current owner may not have them. . .but he/she could find out for you at a local Lexus dealer. . .or you could just wait until you have possession of the car.

(I could not imagine Australian law is any different than here in the States. . .whomever owns a Lexus, regardless of how much work has or has NOT been done at dealers, etc., as a "right" to review the service records on the car in question. . .but, to be clear, the records are ONLY for what may have been done at Lexus dealers. I ended up doing this on my car and learned a great deal. . .it was definitely worth the effort! We also have CARFAX here in the States. . .I suspect Australia has something similiar. . .an electronic search service that tells you whether the car has ever been registered as a "lemon", involved in accidents, changes in ownership, compliance with smog standards, etc.)

*Was the car garaged all these miles, or, was it subjected to the elements?

*Does the car have "known" deferred maintenance issues? Example: when was the last tune up and valve adjustment? (Does the paperwork prove this was done?)

Based on my experience I would pass on cars like these. . .any car would have challenges when this applies. . .but complex, luxury brands like Lexus are even more telling. . .problem for problem, you will spend more getting a Lexus up to date than you will a Toyota.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-21-05, 09:04 AM
mmccutchin
Rookie

Default Major Service Addition

Almost forgot. . .per your originating thread

USD $1,850 labor/parts/tax at an independent bought me this:

*Dealer quality "Major Service Non-V V T I" done every 60K - included valve adjustments and tune up (new platinum tipped plugs) PLUS replacement of ignition cap/rotors and spark plug wires;

*T-belt and W-pump replaced PLUS pullies, tensioners, several cams, a crank seal, new drive belt and fuel filter;

*The written "claim" that only geninue Lexus parts (incl. oil and fluids) were used. . .something I insisted on being in writing (but how would I really know the new water pump. . .deep inside my car now. . .is a Lexus part?);

BTW. . .just a thought. . .go to a Lexus dealer and ask them for copies of their different service details that, in their opinion, would apply to a 200K car (it's interesting how the books that come with the car stop at around 150K). . .there are at least three services that I discovered applied to my 164K car. . ."intermediate" or "minor" service at every 15K. . ."major" service at 60K w/o tune up. . .and "major" service at 60K w/ tune up. . .this way. . .if you do the work yourself, or, have an independent do it. . .you can be certain you are following the same standards.

Good luck!
Old 12-21-05, 01:05 PM
richonenz
Pole Position

Joshwa having had my 90 model Celsior for 4 months now , I would go that way , you can pick up 80,000 to 100,000 K celsiors for around the 10 grand mark , exactly the same as the LS400 with some extra goodies that the Aus deliveved models didn't get til the 93 model .
100,000 K's less makes a big difference and up to 10 grand cheaper means you have plenty left for any fix up's that have to be done , who cares if you have to spend 5 grand on it , that's still only 15 grand total for a car that will last for another 10 years !!
What else could you buy in Aus for 15 grand that even compares ??
Old 12-21-05, 05:07 PM
Joshwa
Rookie

mmccutchin, Thanks for your lengthy reply, it defiantly gives me some questions to ask if I go have another look. The only reason I was so attracted to this car was due to the fact it was so clean. I’d much rather a more mechanical sound car in the long run though!

richonenz, I’ve looked at a few imported one, having only ever owned imports in the past and not being able to get insurance was the main factor i really wasn't taking that option serious. How did you find getting insurance?
Old 12-21-05, 08:26 PM
richonenz
Pole Position

Josh there are two big insurer's of imports and both are backed by big mainstream insurer's .One is unique imports and the other is Just car Insurance [ I think ] .
Unique are only costing me $636.00 a year for full coverance at a value of $16,000 .00 .
They where very helpful , give them a call .
There are some rough imports out there , but also just as many good ones and with 80 odd thousand K's less and 10 grand cheaper why buy an Aus delivered LS
Even the air struts can be replaced for a reasonable amount now , there's a mob in the States doing lifetime warranty units for $500.00 a corner , very reasonable , what part of Aus are you in ?
Old 12-21-05, 09:40 PM
Joshwa
Rookie

Originally Posted by richonenz
Josh there are two big insurer's of imports and both are backed by big mainstream insurer's .One is unique imports and the other is Just car Insurance [ I think ] .
Unique are only costing me $636.00 a year for full coverance at a value of $16,000 .00 .
They where very helpful , give them a call .
There are some rough imports out there , but also just as many good ones and with 80 odd thousand K's less and 10 grand cheaper why buy an Aus delivered LS
Even the air struts can be replaced for a reasonable amount now , there's a mob in the States doing lifetime warranty units for $500.00 a corner , very reasonable , what part of Aus are you in ?
I've used Just cars for some of my cars, however canned them soon after due to the cost being just far too much, although $630 is quite realistic.

I'm in Queensland, Sunshine Coast. You?
Old 12-21-05, 11:37 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

hey, congrats on the purchase, hopefully ul come to love ur lexus like most of us do. with only ~100k miles and full history its doubtful (tho still possible) that any MAJOR problems may occur. watch out for the Air susp. and the PS/pump and rack.
Old 12-22-05, 02:06 PM
richonenz
Pole Position

Josh I'm in Brisbane Queensland , send me an E-Mail and we can have a chat .
Old 12-27-05, 05:53 AM
brenton
Driver School Candidate

Default im brisbane qld aswell!

include me in your convo !