LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

93 ls 400 Lex wit Issues... PLEASE HELP ASAP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-05, 11:03 AM
BIGG_FEEK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 93 ls 400 Lex wit Issues... PLEASE HELP ASAP!!!

Good Day,

My brother recently purchased a 1993 LS 400 from a old lady who was told not to drive any more. He paid $4000 for it yesterday and it has a list of problems...PLEASE HELP!

1. The Speedometer stopped working this morning, but it is working now, Could it be possesed with evil?

2. When you hit the headlights, the radio and A/C display goes black but still plays?

3. Where in the hell is the fuse panel?

4. How to unlock the trunk and gas tank with the key on the driver's side?

5. The seats don't ajust.

6. Does the key need a battery to open and unlock the door and operate the alarm?

7. The gas needle appears to be slow when we fill up, It reads only 1/2 full with $50 in gas.

PLEASE HELP US, IT IS DRIVING US CRAZY....rafiq79pringle@aol.com
This is driving the both of us crazy...please contact me ASAP

*************What is that black **** with the white dial for next to the port?************************

Last edited by BIGG_FEEK; 12-19-05 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-18-05, 11:18 AM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 93 LS400 also and, the problem with the blacked out cluster is common, there are members here on CL that are able to fix the problem, for a price. It blacks out while the car is cold and flickers then finally turns on when the car warms up, after roughly 20 mintues after driving. As for the key situation, try changing the battery in the remote, it only cost a couple dollars for a new battery. But first, try this. There is a button on the left side of the wheel that says "remote", you can press it to the on or off position. The on position allows the remote to be used, the off position disables the use of the remote.
Old 12-18-05, 10:15 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The speedometer problem is very common, but it usually occurs only during warm weather. It usually occurs in conjunction with the tachometer exhibiting the same problem. The capacitor replacement service offered by Jim Walker and others solves the blacked out display problem but does not fix the speedometer-tachometer problem.

I have no idea on the headlight-radio AC display problem. There is a common problem involving a broken wire in the driver's side trunk hinge wiring harness; however, I have never heard of this causing a problem with the headlights or radio AC display. These displays are notorious, however, for dimming as the car ages.

The fuse panel is underneath the dash on the driver's side of the car. Look to the left of the brake pedal. There are also fuse panels in the engine compartment.

Insert the key in the keyhole and turn it to release the inside trunk release.

If the power seats don't work, check the fuses. I am not sure which circuit controls the seats.

The key has a CR 1216 battery inside it. These batteries are available at Radio Shack for about $3.00. They are available cheaper at www.lexus-parts.com; however, the shipping charges would make them more expensive than Radio Shack.

The gas gauge problem can be solved by the capacitor replacement mentioned above, I believe. I have never had a gas gauge problem. Look up Jim Walker's e-mail address in the pinned section and communicate with him.