LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

96 ls400 misfires

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-20, 03:54 PM
Nhyrum
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 ls400 misfires

I've got a 96 ls400, 250k. I got it, it had a code for a misfire on all 8, plus drivers upstream 02. Replaced 02 sensor, all wires, and had the injectors rebuilt, there were mechanically ok, but the seal on the manifold end was shot on them all. Compression was 170 ish psi across all 8

Currently I have misfires on 1 and 7, with the occasional 2 thrown in. I'm thinking the cap and rotor. That passenger side looks... Fun... To get off.

I've swapped plugs around, swapped could around, with no changes.

Basically the car runs like total shirt. In park it runs fine (now, especially after injectors) but in drive, and say pulling out, you can really feel it miss, but isn't terribly sluggish. Once it hits about 3k rpm though, it really cleans up.

Was thinking maybe the ECU cap issue that's stickied?

Last edited by Nhyrum; 03-26-20 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-28-20, 12:27 PM
Nhyrum
Driver School Candidate

So, it idles great cold. Once it gets a little warm, it idles like horse manure, smokes, and smells like raw fuel. I can't see any fuel leaks. Any ideas? Getting misfires on 1,2, and 7.
Old 03-29-20, 12:04 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

What codes speciffically?
Old 03-29-20, 12:08 AM
Nhyrum
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ra40
what codes speciffically?
Old 03-29-20, 06:27 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Nhyrum
DO you have access to a scanner? Where are your fuel trims at?
Old 03-30-20, 12:24 PM
LS400FAN
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I've got a 96 ls400, 250k. I got it, it had a code for a misfire on all 8, plus drivers upstream 02. Replaced 02 sensor, all wires, and had the injectors rebuilt, there were mechanically ok, but the seal on the manifold end was shot on them all. Compression was 170 ish psi across all 8

Currently I have misfires on 1 and 7, with the occasional 2 thrown in. I'm thinking the cap and rotor. That passenger side looks... Fun... To get off.

Basically the car runs like total shirt. In park it runs fine (now, especially after injectors) but in drive, and say pulling out, you can really feel it miss, but isn't terribly sluggish. Once it hits about 3k rpm though, it really cleans up.

Did you keep your original spark plug wires? If so, take out the new ones and re-install the originals. I've found out the hard way, several years ago I replaced my original wires with new ones and that was a big mistake, the new ones were crap. Fortunately I didn't throw away my original ones, so I took out the new ones and reinstalled my originals, the misfire issues disappeared. The aftermarket wires are in no way nearly as good as the originals, I now have 270k miles on my original wires and they are still going strong. Unless you have a specific problem with the original wires, I would never replace them. In my opinion, nothing comes close to the quality specs of the original oem wires, unfortunately they don't make them anymore, at least with the same quality imo. Good luck.
Old 03-30-20, 01:04 PM
Nhyrum
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jaaa
DO you have access to a scanner? Where are your fuel trims at?
Interesting. Bank 2 is negative values.

Old 03-30-20, 01:49 PM
Nhyrum
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LS400FAN
Did you keep your original spark plug wires? If so, take out the new ones and re-install the originals. I've found out the hard way, several years ago I replaced my original wires with new ones and that was a big mistake, the new ones were crap. Fortunately I didn't throw away my original ones, so I took out the new ones and reinstalled my originals, the misfire issues disappeared. The aftermarket wires are in no way nearly as good as the originals, I now have 270k miles on my original wires and they are still going strong. Unless you have a specific problem with the original wires, I would never replace them. In my opinion, nothing comes close to the quality specs of the original oem wires, unfortunately they don't make them anymore, at least with the same quality imo. Good luck.
Yeah, the original wires were shot. The wire that goes from the drivers side coil got pinched between the cover because they made the wire exactly barely short enough to barely make to through the hole if you stretch it and watch it
Old 03-30-20, 02:29 PM
LS400FAN
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeah, the original wires were shot. The wire that goes from the drivers side coil got pinched between the cover because they made the wire exactly barely short enough to barely make to through the hole if you stretch it and watch it
To clarify, are you saying the "original" wires were too short? Were all 8 original wires in bad shape? Once again, I strongly urge you to reinstall the original wires "if" they are still in good shape, I would only replace the bad ones, but certainly not all of them based on my experience. An easy way to check would be to remove the spark plug covers, start the engine and observe the wires in the dark to see if sparks are coming from them, if you notice any sparks then the wires are leaking voltage that;s being grounded by the engine before they reach your spark plugs which is why you're getting the codes effecting almost all of your cylinders. I'm not 100% sure this is your problem, but it certainly was my issue. Good luck.
Old 03-30-20, 03:37 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts

Return the aftermarket wires and order an OEM set of spark plug wires.

Did you use aftermarket caps & rotors?

OEM plug wires fit perfectly avoiding problems.

Verify Toyota North America did not supercede part number from the original spark plug wire set....

Inquire about country of origin.

Last edited by YODAONE; 03-30-20 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-30-20, 03:48 PM
Nhyrum
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Rerurn the aftermarket wires and order an OEM set of spark plug wires.

They fit perfectly and this avoids problems such as yours.

Verify Toyota North America did not supercede part number from the original spark plug wire set....
Oh, the NEW ones fit way better, and it actually runs better with the new set. The old factory set, the wire that goes from coil 1 all call it, to the drivers side rotor got pinched, hard, before I got it. It's not my car anyway, I'm just working on it.

On this last drive, the misfires changed to 302,307, and 308. With the trim running real negative, -20-30 sometimes, I'm thinking it's the maf? Which I've cleaned, twice, using a whole can each, with the unit out of the car, let it sit for a half hour before reinstalling and plugging it back in. Maybe a bad o2? When it gets warmer, it really runs rough, idles with white smoke and has that raw fuel in the exhaust smell pretty strong
Old 03-31-20, 07:04 AM
Heretic
Driver School Candidate

I have similar problems with my 1996 LS400 (205k miles)
Old 03-31-20, 01:43 PM
Nhyrum
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Heretic
I have similar problems with my 1996 LS400 (205k miles)
Take it to the junkyard. Pieces of ****. I'm about ready to stuff a rag in the gas tank
Old 03-31-20, 01:48 PM
Nhyrum
Driver School Candidate

Take it to the junkyard. Pieces of ****. I'm about ready to stuff a rag in the gas tank
What I've learned. Nobody actually knows how to work on these pieces of junk. Oh yeah, fuel filter is supposed to be here. Crack the lines, let the extra fuel out, 14.. 17mm and 10mm nope. Filter in a different place, with battery disconnected and fuse out, fuel ran for a half hour with no signs of slowing, so now I'm covered in gas, with a still unfunctioning piece of ****, which I get to figure out how to replace the right side multi function switch cause I ripped the ****er out
Old 03-31-20, 01:53 PM
Nhyrum
Driver School Candidate

I'm going back to gm

Quick Reply: 96 ls400 misfires